Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM

10 posts, read 31,860 times

Advertisements

Hi, I made a post before and it was very helpful. Thanks to all who answered. I was wondering if those of you who live in Houston could tell me a little about your favorite areas of Houston (to live or hang out) or even your own neighborhood and why they are your favorites. ANY and ALL information is helpful. We are planning a move from Michigan and only know one person who's ever lived in Texas. We are a young family looking for decent schools and still some fun things to do. (I won't get into the rest of the details in this post.) If you could also direct me as to areas to stay away from because of crime rate or just general "less than nice" areas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:28 PM

799 posts, read 3,694,905 times
On the NW side of HOuston, I would suggest Klein in Spring (77379), The Woodlands, Tomball, Cypress area. All good schools and lots of family friendly things to do...especially swim, which your kids will love!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:29 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmommy View Post
Hi, I made a post before and it was very helpful. Thanks to all who answered. I was wondering if those of you who live in Houston could tell me a little about your favorite areas of Houston (to live or hang out) or even your own neighborhood and why they are your favorites. ANY and ALL information is helpful. We are planning a move from Michigan and only know one person who's ever lived in Texas. We are a young family looking for decent schools and still some fun things to do. (I won't get into the rest of the details in this post.) If you could also direct me as to areas to stay away from because of crime rate or just general "less than nice" areas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I like the spring/woodlands area(I just don't want to live up there) Because of the trees and wildlife also just outside of houston metro would be the Brazos state park(you'll owe it to yourself to spend the day down there)

Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Every direction there's something nice to be found. Central and East- The musuem district with the Natural Science, Children's, and Art Musuems, along with the Zoo and Rice University. And now downtown has an awesome park. Central West-Memorial Park that is shared with the Central region, The Galleria and all its upscale shopping and homes. West-Terry Hershey Park that runs for miles along a manicured bayou/river, and all the gracious houses on big lots and trees in Memorial. Southeast-Clear Lake, Nasa, Kemah Boardwalk and Galveston Beach. Southwestern- Sugarland, a master planned community. North- Pine trees and more master planned communities, Lake Conroe. (The Woodlands is nice but I wouldn't live there either).

The weather is the same no matter the direction- Hot.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM

10 posts, read 31,860 times
So, where would you choose to live and why? (all things considered, affordability, family friendly, things to do, etc)

Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
I personally like the west side from downtown due west, snatching a little portion of the Musuem District and Rice Village, out to Katy. Mainly because it's the only continously nice stretch in Houston (I-10 west), including some of the best school districts in the Metro and all are family friendly. Big trees, incredible restaurants, parks tucked here and there, and just tons of things to do and close to everything. Huge economic growth in these areas and a booming Energy Corridor. Prices start high and get more affordable the father you go west.

BUT, if you work to the north or south, then you would choose another area. Traffic is growing steadily with the population boom. Most people are chosing to live close to or in the areas they work. Every poster here will have their favorite, but please keep in mind that you want to find out the employment locations before you set your heart on a certain area. And good schools can be found everywhere, actually some of the best ones are IN Houston.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 04-21-2008 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: School comment.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:35 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
We love being in the Museum District. We go to the zoo often, as well as the various museums. We also like to take the kids to enjoy various parks--Hermann Park, Memorial Park Arboretum, and the new park downtown. The suburbs offer better schools and safety for the kids, but if you can stay close enough to the city to enjoy all that Houston has to offer, I think you'll be glad you did.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM

127 posts, read 163,724 times
I personally love MAN-trose! Diverse, chic, quaint, great restaurants and nightlife, more urban, prime location as it's walking distance from Midtown, Downtown (and when you want to feel like a wealthy person, River Oaks) and only a little ways on the train to the Museum District, not too far from the Galleria, exciting. I guess it doesn't really meet your requirement though because it is a little bit urban risqué.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:16 PM

799 posts, read 3,694,905 times
I love THe Woodlands because it is so family oriented, if you like the suburbs. they have pools (12 ft deep ends, which my kids owuld love, since they only go to 5 ft in my area), they have skate [parks and places to barbeques and soccer fields and places for the kids to play basketball and the Cynthia Woods Pavillion and all the shops and movie theatres. I love it because you can have teens that have things to do where the neighborhoods where I am cater to toddlers and there really isn't anything for older children to do unless oyu are driving them there. My neighborhood took down the basketball goal and put ANOTHER toddler park. It is real cute but we already have several in the neighborhood. The pool goes to 5 ft at its deepest. I have just relocated my work out to THe Woodlands and understand now why so many people love it there. They are alot stricter on their homeowners and such though.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,490 times
The best area is the Rice Village/West U/Museum area. Yes, it's pricey but if I were to move back to Houston that's THE place I would consider. Forget the Houston 'burbs: they're not bad but ultimately very unremarkable and TOO FAR from the center of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston