Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

I'm sort of planning a short trip to Houston in the near future. I'm going to drive to Houston from San Antonio. I'd like to visit Galveston and Kemah also. I'd also like to visit the Galleria and the downtown underground area. Maybe Rice if time permits.

What would be a good area to stay? I'm considering maybe a Galleria hotel, but I'm not sure if the price would be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Galleria or downtown...I like the ICON alot. It is an old bank bldg with the bank vault door still in place. Very cool and on the rail.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 AM

197 posts, read 797,219 times
Good thing you are coming AFTER this weekend, EVERY single hotel in downtown was sold out for some convention. [Or had prices in the $300 a night range]

If you want to visit Galveston - keep in mind that area is still a disaster from IKE - and after 5 months - a lot of debris still down there and most areas are closed. It is going to take years for us to recover from this.

The downtown Crowne Plaza will put you right above part of the tunnel system. It's massive and like a whole city down there. Pretty cool. There are maps you can aquire online - sorry I don't have the link with me.

Good luck with your trip.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks. I'm also concerned because I'm so unfamiliar with the city and I'm worried about traffic. For example, is it possible to get from Midtown to Galveston while avoiding the traffic?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:29 AM

197 posts, read 797,219 times
# 1 - Go buy a GPS! They are so cheap now - they are worth every dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
For example, is it possible to get from Midtown to Galveston while avoiding the traffic?
Yes - from 8 pm to 5 am during the weekdays.

It depends on when you plan to drive out there. You shouldn't have a problem heading south earlier in the morning [before 9 am on weekends]
Coming back in the afternoon in I-45 N will guarantee you a parking lot.

Go to Galveston for part of the day and leave mid - late afternoon or so, head north on 45 - exit anywhere from TX City - League City head east - go Highway 3 or 146 - 146 will take you right by Kemah & Seabrook. Have dinner there, and then afterwards head back to midtown.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:54 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
If you are looking to stay near the Galleria, this is where we stayed last year.

Convenient and not too pricy for the area-

Hilton Garden Inn Hotel Houston Texas - Houston Galleria Area Hotel - Houston, TX Hotels

Old 02-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping not to spend the whole day in Galveston. I was thinking of, not necessarily avoiding all the traffic, just the worst rush hour peaks. Hopefully I would have planned to start out from Houston around 9AM and try to get back within a few hours.

I may not even do Galveston if it's still being rebuilt. How were Clear Lake and Kemah affected by the hurricane?

Old 02-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Thanks for all the hotel recommendations. I wouldn't even mind a cheaper motel since I will have a car.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 13,408 times
Default Galleria Hotel

They are definitely higher especially on the weekdays, remember Houston not like New Orleans (tourists town) we are a business city so our hotels are high on Weekdays with checkout by noon on Friday, however, Galleria pricey for Houston standards, try the Comfort Suites down from Galleria I am thinking on Westheimer going West. Call the Westins in the Galleria itself they are older and may need remolding and have become cheaper then again they are inside the Galleria two hotels one on Westheimer and other on Alabama - back side of the Galleria where Nordstrom is located. Galleria hotels almost all of them will charge parking fees! Avoid San Antonio (tourists town higher on weekends) River Walk, those hotels are very noisey and pricer, try to stay across the street like the old Gunther or Menger (guests are on geritol) where Teddy Rooselvelt organized the Rough Riders.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:43 AM

569 posts, read 1,079,043 times
The downtown tunnel system is open on weekdays only from 6/7AM to 7PM. If your visit is on a weekend, you won't see this. There are lots of eateries open underground between the peak hours of 10am to 2pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston