Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times

Advertisements

Are there any good linguistic schools or programs in Houston? I guess the only way is to actually get a degree or do they have a program to just learn without getting one? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,624 times
i need a school in houston to do doctorate degree program in linguistics

Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM

433 posts, read 1,929,669 times
I think Rice University has both undergrad and graduate Linguistics programs.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 AM

784 posts, read 3,120,164 times
The University of Houston's main campus linguistics department is defunct. Rice has one: Linguistics at Rice University, but I don't know if it is "good"--you would need to do some research on the faculty and whether they publish. My applied linguistics doctorate comes from the University of Edinburgh, which is well-known for having some outstanding scholars, but they had all left by the time I got there, so knowing of good researchers is one thing; the other is where they are now. The other thing you could do would be to go to UH or Rice to their library and ask for help in researching rankings of linguistic departments in Texas. I found this, but it doesn't help you: Top Colleges For Linguistics Students Ranked For 2009 - The Best Schools, Departments & Programs

This exchange is interesting too and even lists Rice as one of the ranked universities in one of the later responses: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...-programs.html

Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 AM

784 posts, read 3,120,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
do they have a program to just learn without getting one? Thanks.
What exactly are you looking for?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM

381 posts, read 1,233,862 times
I have a friend that teaches here - she is an excellent woman. She retired from being a principal and started teaching here....I think it is in Sugar Land.
Morning Intensive English | BEI - Bilingual Education Institute | Students, Their, Learning, Interactive, Language

Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,305 times
Default Any good linguistics programs in Houston?

Somebody posted that the linguistics program at the University of Houston is defunct. That is not true and it is unfortunate that someone passed on such misinformation. Linguistics is part of the Dept. of English, and is still a concentration available for the bachelor's or the master's degree (not for a doctorate). This information is on the home page of the University of Houston Dept. of English as of Sept. 9, 2010 (today). I believe they see a major function of the program as supporting applied linguistics and the teaching of language. There are three professors.
As far as I know Rice University still has undergraduate and graduate programs in linguistics, including the doctorate. I am aware that a few years ago, when I attended their Bilingual Linguistics Symposium, their concentration was on pragmatics, and in general the program is disapproving of Chomskyan generative grammar (but I am willing to be corrected if that is no longer true).

Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
3v3

1 posts, read 4,673 times
Default UH Linguistics Program

Sorry, JackLibrarian is mistaken. UH stopped admitting new students to the linguistics concentration in 2010. English majors can now only concentrate in literature or creative writing. There is just one linguistics course being offered and it is an elective. The professors from the linguistics program have all retired. To the best of my knowledge, the only university in Houston area to offer a linguistics major is Rice.

Last edited by 3v3; 08-19-2011 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston