Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:00 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times

Advertisements

when American's declare something as "Southern" it comes with a whole lot more in connotation than in geographical terms.

there is no denying that the OP feels all of the south are inbreed racists which makes me think he has never ventured more south than Arizona (which is on the southern border of the US and do we have to point out that fantastical events of the last two years that have been going on in that state regarding racial tension?)

Yes Texas is located in the southern part of the US. but in reality it does not fit the stereotype of "southerners." You know the way the good ole' boys in the north like to hate on us like we are still pre-industrial.

comparing Texas, Houston especially, to the memories of the old south is like saying NYC is homogenous with upstate new york. there are backwoods scary people in every state I've ever been in. far from a southern specialty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mableclaid View Post
Just to throw in my own two cents. I was one of those Houstonians who thought of Houston as Southern. When I moved to Florida and subsequently worked a while in Alabama I found that Alabamians were appalled at my claim that Houston was southern. As I learned more about the south I came to the conclusion these people were indeed right. Southerners view all of Texas as "the west." .
This.

Texas in generals doesn't get acceptance from the North, South, East or West. That's why in the end we just say Texas is Texas. To us; Houston is southern. However, to someone coming from NC or VA. They say it feels like the west or whatever.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:15 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
There's nothing wong with being southern. Southerners are typically sweet, have adorable accents and everyone says "yes ma'am" or "yes sir" - What's not to love?

Here's this native Houstonian's $.02.

I've visited family in several southern states my whole life. They say the Houston bunch sticks out when we visit......we don't don't pass for southern.

When I went to NYC with a group of my native Houston girlfriends, the few native NYers we met, couldn't believe we were from Houston. We were asked if we had cattle & oil dereks in our front yards. "Wow, you don't sound like you're from HEW-STON" was said a million times on that trip. (The show Dallas really messed with people's perceptions of Houston/Dallas. )

Houston has evolved into a minority majority city things feel "international" to me. It's not uncommon to go into a public place & hear 10 different languages spoken........sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only person who knows English. That's not southern to me.

I do know some "southern Houstonians"....but they're from small towns or rural outskirts of Houston. Yes, we do have our share of southern, country, and small-town characters here but you'll also find the same type of transplanted people in LA & NY.

My point is that if you're a native Houstonian from the more urban neighborhoods.....you're not going to seem very southern or Texan.

We only do the wanna-be cowgirl thing for Rodeo, but really it's just an excuse to shop for something unusual.

I like the southern lifestyle, I wish Houston was southern acting. Good manners & men who hold the door open are NICE things.

Houston is not southern and hardly even feels Texan anymore => to me.

Last edited by LizzySWW; 06-03-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 AM

491 posts, read 886,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
There's nothing wong with being southern. Southerners are typically sweet, have adorable accents and everyone says "yes ma'am" or "yes sir" - What's not to love?

Here's this native Houstonian's $.02.

I've visited family in several southern states my whole life. They say the Houston bunch sticks out when we visit......we don't don't pass for southern.

When I went to NYC with a group of my native Houston girlfriends, the few native NYers we met, couldn't believe we were from Houston. We were asked if we had cattle & oil dereks in our front yards. "Wow, you don't sound like you're from HEW-STON" was said a million times on that trip. (The show Dallas really messed with people's perceptions of Houston/Dallas. )

Houston has evolved into a minority majority city things feel "international" to me. It's not uncommon to go into a public place & hear 10 different languages spoken........sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only person who knows English. That's not southern to me.

I do know some "southern Houstonians"....but they're from small towns or rural outskirts of Houston. Yes, we do have our share of southern, country, and small-town characters here but you'll also find the same type of transplanted people in LA & NY.

My point is that if you're a native Houstonian from the more urban neighborhoods.....you're not going to seem very southern or Texan.

We only do the wanna-be cowgirl thing for Rodeo, but really it's just an excuse to shop for something unusual.

I like the southern lifestyle, I wish Houston was southern acting. Good manners & men who hold the door open are NICE things.

Houston is not southern and hardly even feels Texan anymore => to me.
My feelings exactly. I would have no issues with being Southern, but I'm just... not. And yes, I am a native Houstonian. I was born in California, but that was only because my dad was going to school there at the time. I was 2 years old when we moved back. My family goes back 5 generations in Houston. You couldn't be more precise Lizzy. Houston, if it must be categorized... is more just Texan than Southern or Southwestern. And once again, I don't think there's anything wrong with being Southern. I've had some wonderful experiences in my travels through the South, and the people are generally more friendly there. However, the plain truth is that Houston is NOT the true South. Neither is Dallas, or San Antonio, or Austin.

What's crazy is this troll from Phoenix of all places, trying to put Houston in this box, haha! Not as crazy as supposedly "cultured and educated" New Yorkers asking if Houstonians all have oil derricks and cattle in their back yards. Apparently stupid can afford Manhattan rents.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 06-03-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
I love the way some of you reference the misguided perceptions of Texas as if it were the gospel truth...I've never met a southeasterner who actually knows Houston and did not recognize it as a southern city.

"Texas is Texas" is such a copout. Especially considering the fact that Houston doesn't really look, feel, act, or even talk like the rest of the state. I can't speak for others, but there is an overwhelming southeastern-like vibe I get in Houston which is a strong contrast to the more rugged, frontier, ranch atmosphere of those areas east of 45. And this is coming from someone who originally hails from the Savannah River Valley, so take that for what it's worth.

Houston is a southern city, and no, not just geographically.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:35 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
Why worry about it? We don't have to categorize everything, and put everything into a certain box. Screw the labels, expand your mind, and think outside the box!

Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Within Texas different parts swing different ways.
The west of the state is "western" and has much in common with New Mexico, etc.
The east of the state is "southern" and has much in common with Louisiana, Arkansas, etc.
The center has its own culture and was influenced by European immigrants.
The south is similar to the culture of northern Mexico.
The far north is similar to Oklahoma.

And then because of the influx of northerners to the cities, they can't even be considered southern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
It's TEXAN.
It's not southern, it's not western.
It's Texan.

PS- on the map, Harris Country (you know Houston) voted blue during the past election. Not that doubling the deficit in 23 days is something to be proud of or anything.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
So, last night I went outside. (As in, like, off the Internet.)

I kneeled down, tapped the ground and said "Hey Houston, do you think you're 'Southern' or not?"

Maybe Houston was asleep or high on crack or something because I didn't get an answer.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
"Texas is Texas" is such a copout. Especially considering the fact that Houston doesn't really look, feel, act, or even talk like the rest of the state. I can't speak for others, but there is an overwhelming southeastern-like vibe I get in Houston which is a strong contrast to the more rugged, frontier, ranch atmosphere of those areas east of 45. And this is coming from someone who originally hails from the Savannah River Valley, so take that for what it's worth.
The thing is, the easternmost areas of the state controlled Texas's politics for generations, so therefore Texas was very "southern" until recently.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
I have verifiable proof that there are rednecks in California. They just hide them better than we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston