Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Nobody ever said we didn't have crime before - but the crime we have had since is different and worse.
OMG like houstonians didn't have child molesters and rapists before New Orleans people came??? Like New Orleans came and disturbed your utopia. Granted New Orleans residents, yes I am a New Orleans native, probably had their own fair share of problems but by no means did they bring all the crime to Houston. My aunt has lived here for over 30years and she said that Houston has always had a crime problem. I think the underlying issue is that every city has a 'criminal element' and I think that because of Hurricane Katrina the issue was magnified a thousand times. I don't think that just because of one catastrophe such as a Katrina that you can blame and entire city for anothers crime rate. Let's be real!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemom1985 View Post
OMG like houstonians didn't have child molesters and rapists before New Orleans people came??? Like New Orleans came and disturbed your utopia. Granted New Orleans residents, yes I am a New Orleans native, probably had their own fair share of problems but by no means did they bring all the crime to Houston. My aunt has lived here for over 30years and she said that Houston has always had a crime problem. I think the underlying issue is that every city has a 'criminal element' and I think that because of Hurricane Katrina the issue was magnified a thousand times. I don't think that just because of one catastrophe such as a Katrina that you can blame and entire city for anothers crime rate. Let's be real!
Why do people keep saying that??? Houston's crime level was already high; why would we want more???

Anyways, I don't blame New Orleanians because this same thing would have happened if something like that happened to Houston and people had to be shifted to other cities. When you take in such a large numbers of people; this is expected. On top of that; during Katrina; many convicts escaped and were running lose in the city.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 17,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Why do people keep saying that??? Houston's crime level was already high; why would we want more???

Anyways, I don't blame New Orleanians because this same thing would have happened if something like that happened to Houston and people had to be shifted to other cities. When you take in such a large numbers of people; this is expected. On top of that; during Katrina; many convicts escaped and were running lose in the city.
I agree with you, but it seems as though a majority of the Houston population share sentiments that "New Orleans evacuees" brought all the crime here. I am a working mom and I was working in New Orleans, I have never been the type to be on government assistance and most if not all of my uncles have trades and my brother works for G&E and my father works for Bush IAH. My mother, god rest her soul, was an Accountant for several large oil and gas companies in houston, so us working Orleanians appreciate houston but don't appreciate being lumped into the crime portion of it that's all I'm saying.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:

Because most people blame all of the crime on New Orleanians. Which is not fair.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:38 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,155,120 times
It's been how many years since Katrina? The city has a major problem if it hasn't cleaned up the crime since. Which I believe it has.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Because most people blame all of the crime on New Orleanians. Which is not fair.
But responding with "You guys already had high crime" isn't exactly a good point. The people who lump New Orleanians in one category are ignorant, but still throughout that whole ordeal; Houston's crime rose even more. Just because a place has high crime rates doesn't mean they want more.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:59 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Quote:
I love this post!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,582,067 times
Quote:
history is filled with rejects moving in masses and brought with them disease, crime and glaring 'foreigness'. its equally easy to prove that. so when NOLA people came, do you think they brought something good or something bad? as a whole.
One thing I know is my area got a whole lot better, a lot quieter and safer(according to statistics) when I noticed less shirtless black teens on their BMXs, when I saw less hooded night strollers, when I saw less house renters and their random 'family' members. Alief ISD is now 'recognized' again and exemplary rated ones are popping up everyone in my neighborhood is shocked hearing about it. I dont even see the cop cars drive by anymore. I also love the fact that I dont see pitbulls that often anymore.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:01 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
And we have resurrected a 2.5 year old post ...

Old 08-13-2011, 02:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
But responding with "You guys already had high crime" isn't exactly a good point. The people who lump New Orleanians in one category are ignorant, but still throughout that whole ordeal; Houston's crime rose even more. Just because a place has high crime rates doesn't mean they want more.
It is a good point. Not saying Houston was just as dangerous. But when I moved here, (if your from anywhere in LA they assume NOLA), people kept telling me how perfect it was until Katrina. Young, old, rich, and poor all had the same opinion. Who said yall want crime? Who would ever want crime?

My rims were stolen, lisence place stolen, and my window was smashed two days ago and my radio stolen. All within 4 months. I have a feeling its somebody who's not from New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston