Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:03 PM

25 posts, read 92,470 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with the popularity of rims and swimming pools here? Anyone else noticed that?

We have young children and do NOT want a pool for safety reasons and cost of upkeep. Wow, there are a LOT of pools here! lol.

While we're house hunting in Houston, a new co-worker of mine here in Austin (a recent transplant from Houston) commented that he's looking for a home in Austin with a yard large enough to put a pool in.

All of my husband's new co-workers are questioning why he hasn't upgraded the wheels on his car.

Just the small things I often wonder about... any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
And people wonder why we are going into a depression?

We gotta have stuff!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM

490 posts, read 1,434,120 times
I do not know anyone that cares about rims...myself included. The reason for pools...it gets HOT here!!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
You'll see in July why people want pools. Now as far as rims. Houston and it's youth has an incredibly strong car culture and the saying is that the car is the extension of yourself. Why I do find that hilarious, people do put that much emphasis on their car nowadays. This isn't exclusive to Houston only though. But the entire nation.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
We have young children and we ruled out all homes with pools. I know lots of other families here who want a pool, but I grew up with a pool and there were too many near tragedies.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 PM

421 posts, read 1,727,018 times
Rims are trivial compared to the television in the trunk and the four screens in the passenger compartment of a friends coworkers car.

I have never had anyone ask why I don't own rims, who really cares about rims. They same people who worry about rims have those fake Maserati decals on the side of their Dodge Magnum.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
Rims are trivial compared to the television in the trunk and the four screens in the passenger compartment of a friends coworkers car.

I have never had anyone ask why I don't own rims, who really cares about rims. They same people who worry about rims have those fake Maserati decals on the side of their Dodge Magnum.

If you're talking about price, it's not always trivial. Some rim sets run $12k+ and the tires that go on those are another $3k+. (This is why those "rent & roll" type places exist.) But I'd be concerned about any neighborhood that has these 'ghetto fabulous' displays. Even moreso if grown men are loitering near their pimped out rides, wearing authentic football jerseys & ($400) Jordan Yellow Lightnings, while banging their 18s. Sounds like a target for sub-prime borrowers, "1st of Tha Month" types & those pesky midnight mechanics.

Anyway, as far as pools go, we found it to be hit or miss. I don't know anyone with a pool and when I zoom in w/ Google Maps' satellite view, hardly anyone in our neighborhood has a pool in their yard. Our neighborhood pool & park facility is well-kept & never crowded, which might have something to do with it.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
There's only one house with a pool in my neighborhood, and they're the same neighbors who live in an out-of-place McMansion. Big surprise there. None of the rest of us really have room for yards, let alone pools!

I don't know about the popularity of rims. They're not popular with anyone I know. I thought that was a car culture thing, like Spade said, primarily found among Black and Latino youth. Beyond that...

Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
When you spend about 1.5-3 hours in your car per day you want it to look nice, even if you cant see it from the inside. Personally i would just get a TV screen jammed in the steering wheel or dashboard. Put the car on cruise control(essential equip right there)kick back, and watch TV, i stop caring about the well being of other drivers and myself a long time ago. When you drive as much as we do, im sure you'll develop the same mentality

Old 03-10-2009, 07:21 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I don't know about the popularity of rims. They're not popular with anyone I know. I thought that was a car culture thing, like Spade said, primarily found among Black and Latino youth. Beyond that...

Well, if youth = under 35.

And don't under-estimate how many suburban white boys are into this whole thing, too. (As well as the jerseys & Jordans) This fad knows no race or ethnicity. I spent more time than I'd like to admit, working in a shop & hanging around those guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston