Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,335 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am relocating to Houston from San Francisco.
I am female, mid 20's, single and am looking for a safe area to live in.

I do not know anyone in Houston or have any family there. So I would prefer an area that is safe, and also has a lot of single, friendly, young professionals.

Can anyone suggest a great neighborhood, area? I would prefer to be close to downtown and maybe just take the bus/train to work. I have a car but I am not sure about the parking conditions in downtown Houston. I live in SF so parking in the financial district, is pretty much impossible since it is sooo expensive. My budget is about 1200 and I am looking for a 1 bedroom place that would potentially be ok with dogs.

Thanks so much! God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine of your life View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am relocating to Houston from San Francisco.
I am female, mid 20's, single and am looking for a safe area to live in.

I do not know anyone in Houston or have any family there. So I would prefer an area that is safe, and also has a lot of single, friendly, young professionals.

Can anyone suggest a great neighborhood, area? I would prefer to be close to downtown and maybe just take the bus/train to work. I have a car but I am not sure about the parking conditions in downtown Houston. I live in SF so parking in the financial district, is pretty much impossible since it is sooo expensive. My budget is about 1200 and I am looking for a 1 bedroom place that would potentially be ok with dogs.

Thanks so much! God bless!
I would go for the Museum District area, it's where I would live in your situation. It is on the light rail and about 2-3 miles from downtown. There are a lot of apartments/townhomes/condos in that area and its located by one Houston's largest urban parks. Yes you will need a car, it would be inconvenient to not own one but parking shouldn't be too much of an issue. I don't know the zip code for the area but you might just want to google "Museum District Houston". There are other areas along the rail but I think this one stands out the most.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Midtown or Montrose are both close to downtown and in your price range.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:53 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,172 times
I too would go with Midtown although it's not the safest place in town for a single female.
There really are no truly "safe" areas inside the loop.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
Yep, Midtown would be the place if you are working downtown. It's an easy train or bus ride.

A lot of employers will pay for your parking at a parking garage, others will give you an allowance if you use public transportation. You can also find parking downtown anywhere from $5 - $15 a day, or a monthly contract parking around between $70 - $100.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,221 times
There are actually some great Condos for lease and apartments in downtown. If you don't want to be in the city, then Midtown is great...really close to downtown. Also, the Washington/Rice Military area isn't too far either. Price and area are going to depend on if you want a condo/apartment or a townhouse.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:15 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,293 times
A lot of people live in the apartments along Allen Parkway on the West side of town inside the loop, like Allen House and AMLI. Check out some of those. Easy drive right into town (5 minutes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: