Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,803 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any advice on "after school programs" in Houston for first grader? The other question is does anyone have any information on obtaining a city government job, or substance abuse treatment counselors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,622 times
Default Mustard Seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustardseed View Post
Anyone have any advice on "after school programs" in Houston for first grader? The other question is does anyone have any information on obtaining a city government job, or substance abuse treatment counselors?
Mustardseed.. I Like your name!!!!!!! Which I will say welcome to Houston Land of Mustard Burgers! We like mustard and not Ketchup on our burgers. Contact city of Houston for city jobs.. Harris county for county jobs and civil service dept for Federal jobs.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 7,803 times
Cool thanks

appreciate the feed-back on the mustard. hmmm....wrong definition but the mustard burgers should fair well with us!!

will look into the civil service department...again....it's hard to get the job prior to moving to a new city

Old 04-06-2007, 02:17 PM

Default government jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustardseed View Post
appreciate the feed-back on the mustard. hmmm....wrong definition but the mustard burgers should fair well with us!!

will look into the civil service department...again....it's hard to get the job prior to moving to a new city
a woman from California who just moved to Austin said jobs are all over the place and she had no problem finding a job with the State.... That is optimistic.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
Mustardseed.. I Like your name!!!!!!! Which I will say welcome to Houston Land of Mustard Burgers! We like mustard and not Ketchup on our burgers. Contact city of Houston for city jobs.. Harris county for county jobs and civil service dept for Federal jobs.
Ummm, I like ketchup on my McDonald's actually. Mustard on hot dogs, though!

As far as the afterschool programs, none of my friends have any kids in those, but that may be because they have smaller children in preK/Kndgn (I'm young lol). But I think several schools have vans to come and pick up children for afterschool daycare. There should be a YMCA in your area, and I think there's something called O.M., but I don't think that starts until 3rd grade. Most aftershool activities I know of don't start until that age anyway. Look for junior chess clubs, math clubs, and little league sports in your area. Usually these things aren't hard to find, and you could always ask other parents with children in the same grade while dropping off/picking up your son or daughter up OR school administrators at registration.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 AM

Default after school programs

I have always been a proponent for these after school programs for families who do not have a stay at home parent.. Houston has toyed with the idea but I don't think it has come to life... My child is grown so I don't know the latest for 6 and 7 yr olds.

I do know many people are beginning to move into midrise and high rise condos or townhouses for the very reason some of them have their own pools and entertainment areas. Many single parents have found these to be helpful for children when not involved in scouts, or other clubs that require a parent taking them to it. Children are safe within building or gated community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston