Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:57 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times

Advertisements

I think Catholics in the metro form a plurality, not majority. From what I've read it's been this way for at least a few decades now. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes majority soon though!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 12:31 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I think Catholics in the metro form a plurality, not majority. From what I've read it's been this way for at least a few decades now. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes majority soon though!!!
Catholicism is prevalent in the southern parts of Texas from Houston all the way to The Valley & all along the Gulf Coast to New Orleans, mostly due to the large influx of Spanish & French who settled there way back when.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Catholicism is prevalent in the southern parts of Texas from Houston all the way to The Valley & all along the Gulf Coast to New Orleans, mostly due to the large influx of Spanish & French who settled there way back when.
You're exactly right. Harris County is mostly Catholics. From Houston south to Mexico is mostly Catholic because of the Hispanic people. North of Houston up to Missouri and Kentucky is mostly southern Baptists.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:40 AM

26 posts, read 85,518 times
Does Houston have "dense walkable areas" as you said Oakland does? Like you, I'm looking for Asian areas (in my case, Chinese & Indian or Pakistani) and places to walk. I'm quite fond of Flushing, but NYC gets a little too cold. Not to mention that Houston is cheaper.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,533 times
I think this was a great post because I to am moving to Houston for college, but my one request is could people please address some of the other things he said and not just the church/religion part.

Like how is the dating scene? How is racism... I want to date women of all races because love is color blind, but just becuse I know that doesn't mean the culture of that state will agree everyone has that mind set.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:25 AM

860 posts, read 1,586,276 times
There are several universities as well as several community colleges in Houston. You will get better replies if you tell us which one you will attend. Where do you live now?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springman View Post
Does Houston have "dense walkable areas" as you said Oakland does? Like you, I'm looking for Asian areas (in my case, Chinese & Indian or Pakistani) and places to walk. I'm quite fond of Flushing, but NYC gets a little too cold. Not to mention that Houston is cheaper.
the main dense walkable houston area i know of is montrose and rice village. As far as Asian areas, Houston has two but not sure if you would call them walkable though

Old 09-19-2009, 02:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
the main dense walkable houston area i know of is montrose and rice village.
How about Midtown, the Heights or even Downtown?

Old 09-19-2009, 04:41 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Great comments. I can see where you are coming from with the churchy/baptist feel as this is the South and Houston is known for its mega-churches. Due to its large Hispanic and immigrant population, Houston is a majority Catholic in reality.
Yeah I've seen a statistic that Harris County has more Catholics than anything else. So Catholicism is the majority in Harris County not just Houston.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:59 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,484,133 times
[quote=MIASLTX;8491583]ohio go ziemos tiger beer. ]

That has me cracking up. My father was in the Korean War and go injurred and spent a couple of months getting operated on and healing in Tokyo. He came back home to, yes, Ohio but always showed off his Japonese by saying "arrigoto goziemous" (sp???) when he wanted to say "thank you very much".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston