Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:08 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,219,964 times

Advertisements

Not churchy at all.

Someone asked about the racism. The different races mix it up without attitude. I don't feel it. I am sure there are pockets of bubbas that are bigoted - I just never go there. Moderator cut: off topic I can't think of a subdivision that is not diverse.

Last edited by Chickrae; 10-05-2009 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 AM

522 posts, read 1,406,903 times
There's a large Hispanic community in Houston so if you're Catholic that shouldn't be a problem.
I lived in Houston for 3 years, I have Baptists in my family, as well as Catholics and Buddhist and I never noticed the "churchy Baptist" vibe you're talking about. Of course I'm Agnostic so I don't generally pay attention to that stuff unless it's screaming in my face.
The population is very ethnically diverse so is the religion. There's quite a few Buddhist temples in Houston. Houston also has the only traditional Hindu Mandir in the US. I think it was located along the outer part of Houston though.

*Found it*
"The BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir in Houston is the first traditional Hindu Mandir of stone and marble to be constructed in the United States. Created entirely according to ancient Hindu architectural manuscripts known as the Shilpa-Shastras and meeting all the modern regulations of today, it was constructed in a mere 16 months starting from the day its first stone was laid. Limestone from Turkey and marble from Italy was shipped to India where it was hand-carved. More than 33,000 carved pieces were shipped from India to Houston to build such a beautiful Mandir."

As for racism, never encountered any while I was living there.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,479,400 times
About religions in Houston~here's a link and if you scroll nearly to the bottom, you can see for yourself that there is quite a bit of diversity in that and the Catholic Church is quite prevalent there~

http://www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,066,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
About religions in Houston~here's a link and if you scroll nearly to the bottom, you can see for yourself that there is quite a bit of diversity in that and the Catholic Church is quite prevalent there~

http://www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html
Yeah I saw a U.S. map of religions a while back. Since TX is a southern state most of the state Baptists was the main religion. Houston is in Harris County and Harris County Catholics were the majority religion. So it's pretty atypical of most of the state.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,251,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah I saw a U.S. map of religions a while back. Since TX is a southern state most of the state Baptists was the main religion. Houston is in Harris County and Harris County Catholics were the majority religion. So it's pretty atypical of most of the state.
Learning something new about Houston as well. I was just looking at a Southern Baptist map...and Dallas was right in the heart, and Houston certainly seemed on the periphery of that.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,919,606 times
Totally different vibes, religion-wise, between Dallas and Houston.

Dallas has a much larger percentage of southern Baptists, and they are much pushier.

I've not noticed much in the way of pushiness of religion in Houston. Most people here are just content to live and let live.

BTW, I was raised southern Baptist---but left as soon as I could. I never plan to darken their doors again. I'm Episcopalian now---when I go at all. Thing is, here in Houston, nobody much cares.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 PM

55 posts, read 152,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springman View Post
Does Houston have "dense walkable areas" as you said Oakland does? Like you, I'm looking for Asian areas (in my case, Chinese & Indian or Pakistani) and places to walk. I'm quite fond of Flushing, but NYC gets a little too cold. Not to mention that Houston is cheaper.
goto Sugar Land, its part of Greater Houston.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,066,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Totally different vibes, religion-wise, between Dallas and Houston.

Dallas has a much larger percentage of southern Baptists, and they are much pushier.

I've not noticed much in the way of pushiness of religion in Houston. Most people here are just content to live and let live.

BTW, I was raised southern Baptist---but left as soon as I could. I never plan to darken their doors again. I'm Episcopalian now---when I go at all. Thing is, here in Houston, nobody much cares.
Yeah I agree. My impression of Dallas is the people are a lot more religious than the people in Houston. One time when I was in the Dallas airport the lady at the gate kept mentioning God. It was kind of weird to me because that never happens in Houston.

I agree with you. It seems people in Houston don't care about God, don't care about religion and hardly every mention God. Most people in Houston don't seem to go to church either.

I think in Houston most people just care about crawfish and the Astros.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,279,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah I agree. My impression of Dallas is the people are a lot more religious than the people in Houston. One time when I was in the Dallas airport the lady at the gate kept mentioning God. It was kind of weird to me because that never happens in Houston.

I agree with you. It seems people in Houston don't care about God, don't care about religion and hardly every mention God. Most people in Houston don't seem to go to church either.

I think in Houston most people just care about crawfish and the Astros.
You must live in Houston PA, not the main Houston in Texas. People are definitely crazy about church in the Houston i live in. Too much so if you as me!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,028,922 times
Dallas has more Southern Baptist churches while Houston has more Catholic churches. They kinda cancel each other out IMO.

The religious groups in both cities are diverse. You can find everything from Hindu's, Korean Churches, Cambodian Churches, Vietnamese Catholic Churches, Buddhist Temples, Islamic mosques, & much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston