Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 PM

342 posts, read 685,684 times

Advertisements

People I need your help, ok here's a little background on the situation, I'm born and raised in houston, moved to dallas at 17 and met a gril in high school who is now my fiance. She is a dallas girl born and raised, so after school, we decided to move to baton rouge/ new. Orleans for college, I loved louisiana, she didn't. So we moved to houston and we been here for about a year now, since I'm use to houston it doesn't bother me, but for her houston is just too big and fast for her and she want to move back. The problem is I hated dallas, being from houston and living in new orleans and baton rouge its like down grading moving back to dallas. I hated everyday there from the people to police, its just too much of a good ol boy city so please people help me talk some sense in her, and why we shouldn't go back

Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
The problem is I hated dallas, being from houston and living in new orleans and baton rouge its like down grading moving back to dallas. I hated everyday there from the people to police, its just too much of a good ol boy city so please people help me talk some sense in her, and why we shouldn't go back
Let me get this right. You want people on the Dallas forum (who you just insulted) to help you explain to your GF why Houston is superior to Dallas? Good luck with that.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Oh, such a wonderfully provocative post! Oh the things I could say! But that would be so improper. Maybe you should just tell her you fear that if you moved to D you'd lose your manners. Remember? When in Rome...?

Mr Brady said - "no matter where you go, there you are!" Who could argue with that?

Old 05-01-2009, 04:26 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
People I need your help, ok here's a little background on the situation, I'm born and raised in houston, moved to dallas at 17 and met a gril in high school who is now my fiance. She is a dallas girl born and raised, so after school, we decided to move to baton rouge/ new. Orleans for college, I loved louisiana, she didn't. So we moved to houston and we been here for about a year now, since I'm use to houston it doesn't bother me, but for her houston is just too big and fast for her and she want to move back. The problem is I hated dallas, being from houston and living in new orleans and baton rouge its like down grading moving back to dallas. I hated everyday there from the people to police, its just too much of a good ol boy city so please people help me talk some sense in her, and why we shouldn't go back
I'm happy to try to talk some sense in to her about why she should dump you and move back to Dallas. PM me her cell # and I will give her a ring.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,836 times
Come on guys, give him a break...Dallas is just too much of a good ol boy city, compared to baton rouge/new. Orleans (where he went college)...

Just read a couple of his recent posts, and it tells you all you need to know.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 AM

321 posts, read 838,473 times
Quote:
You're in a relationship, and you will have to compromise to a certain degree if you expect your significant other to stick around. That's something that you have to do in any relationship. You can't have your way all the time, and neither can she. If she is that adamant on moving to Dallas then you need to find out more of a reason than just "because Houston is too fast". There has to be some ulterior reasons behind it all. Maybe she is just home sick and wants to be in a more familiar area, or wants to be closer to family or friends. Sitting down and having conversations about what you want and what she wants can help greatly. I'm not talking about the times where it turns into an argument, but when you sit down, get out a piece of paper and write it all out, and really look at everything, pro and con, and see why she wants to move and why you don't. Weigh all these pro's and con's and come to a mutual decision. You obviously love this person or you wouldn't be engaged, so you have to take a compromising approach to the situation(as does she) so you can both understand what the wants and needs are. If she is bound and determined to move back, then you can still compromise on the exact location you will live, etc. There are lots of ways to make it easier, you just have to work at it. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Some people marry way too young, I think.

No offense to the OP.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:43 PM

469 posts, read 1,452,085 times
First off, great quote lone sailor!
I will actually use this personally.

To the OP: I was born and raised in a small town north of Dallas, I lived there until I was 25 years old. After that, I moved around living in various states due to my ex-husband's employer.
I am remarried now to a man from Houston, we live just outside of Houston in Katy. Now, I don't want to offend you, but I hate it here. We have lived here for 5 1/2 years and I know in my heart that I cannot take it another year. The unbearable humidity, (yes, it is humid in Dallas, but not as bad,) the bugs, the heat that lasts for 7-8 months, no winter season, the traffic, the ugliness...sorry, I will stop there.

I know how your fiance feels. Let me tell you, living in a place that you hate will destroy your marriage. She will resent you for making her live here, even though she will not mean to.
My husband is working on a plan for us to move, preferably to Colorado (it has to be a place that has oil/pipeline companies.) I am hopeful it will happen soon.

Please don't take it personally that she does not like Houston. There are so many people that do not, as there are so many that do.

I wish you both the best of luck!

Old 05-01-2009, 03:06 PM

342 posts, read 685,684 times
well sorry dallas people yeah put this in the wrong forum truly a mistake and we lived in dallas for a little bit and she wanted to move, we talked but we have a 3month year old child and i think she just want to be closer to her parents which i dont have a problem with. i just dont want to raise my child in a racist and boone town in north texas that lacks culture. im willing to go anywhere she wants to go but we have a child now and children are very impressional and dont want him to experience the racism i experience because i dont want him coming crying and me and his mom have to explained to him why people are like that becuase i dont even know. so im sorry if i offended anyone from dallas but i hate that town, and thank you to the people who left constructive feedback

Old 05-01-2009, 03:44 PM

869 posts, read 2,955,173 times
Ugh...that post hurt my eyes...

so just what is a 3 month year old child??? what does it mean to be impressional???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston