Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Yep, totally affordable. In Sugar Land, you can get a nice 2500 square foot house (not a fixer) for less than $250K, zoned to excellent public schools elementary through high school. It is very, very difficult to do that in the better Houston neighborhoods.
For that much, you can get the same thing for 100K less in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:33 PM

734 posts, read 1,081,340 times
I have a question for SugarLand residents; Where are all the kids playing? I drive around my neighborhood and there are no children outside even in the evening(when its cooler). Do you people just keep them in front of the video games and computers all day?

In my neighborhood we was playing outside every single day. Heck we couldnt wait till we got a chance to get on our bikes and roam around our neighborhood. what do your kids do all day? And they keep saying child obesity is a problem... hmm i see a solution!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I have a question for SugarLand residents; Where are all the kids playing? I drive around my neighborhood and there are no children outside even in the evening(when its cooler). Do you people just keep them in front of the video games and computers all day?

In my neighborhood we was playing outside every single day. Heck we couldnt wait till we got a chance to get on our bikes and roam around our neighborhood. what do your kids do all day? And they keep saying child obesity is a problem... hmm i see a solution!
Starting at age 6, they are all studying hard in order to be prepared for Clements High's rigorous A.P. programs.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:38 PM

734 posts, read 1,081,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My husband calls Sugar Land, "The Bubble." We love raising our family here. It is a suburb that feels like a small town because in one year we've made good friends and whenever we go out, we see friendly people we know. It is prettier here than people realize, we have wonderful walking trails and community amenities, it is affordable, the schools are great, we have a Whole Foods and a Lifetime Fitness, the commute to downtown isn't bad if you have a carpool partner...life is good.

I knew SugarLand as the "bubble" because the children here are very pampered and dont really know what the outside world is like. Thats what the people in my highschool interpreted that nickname to mean.

Where are you guys going out in SugarLand... I would really like to know.

The commute to downtown is horrific its just too far.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:27 PM

27 posts, read 86,723 times
I'm more partial to The Woodlands personally... At least they have the Hardy for easy access to downtown.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:30 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,817,403 times
Quote:

They study. Extracurricular activities at schools. People are more fit in Sugar Land then in Houston.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
Quote:

It isn't that cool in the evening...mornings are cooler. This time of year we are likely to spend evenings at the splash park or the pool instead of bike riding.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
They study. Extracurricular activities at schools. People are more fit in Sugar Land then in Houston.

where did you come up with that one?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,848,292 times
Quote:
I knew SugarLand as the "bubble" because the children here are very pampered and dont really know what the outside world is like. Thats what the people in my highschool interpreted that nickname to mean.
The Clements High zone probably is something of a "bubble" much more so than the other areas. I believe unlike Clements, the other high school zones feed in not only from Sugar Land but also near Stafford, Missouri City, and unincorporated areas.

Quote:
The commute to downtown is horrific its just too far.
20 miles isn't that bad by Houston standards. I always used Hwy 90A, but then again I was in the Medical Center rather than downtown. 90A is the same road as Houston's Main St.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 AM

156 posts, read 511,614 times
When we lived in Sugar Lands our kids played outside in the spring and fall. Summer is just too hot. The kids could only use their swingset in the mornings- after 10:00 am the slide would be too hot to the touch. In the summertime it's all about AC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston