Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 07:38 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times

Advertisements

Why is there such a huge concentration of Asians in Sugarland? Do they just commute to Houston for work?

You see a high percentage of Asians at Universities in Houston (Rice University, UH, etc.), how come the overal population of Asians is so small within Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Well, Sugar Land does have a smaller population than Houston. There are more Asians in Houston than Sugar Land.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:56 AM

76 posts, read 388,581 times
Asians have the money and common sense to live in that area :-) I love Sugarland, a ton of my friends (Viets) have bought houses there recently. Hopefully the price of the area will keep out bad company.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
Sugarland is probably the most popular location to out of state suburban dwellers looking to relocate to Houston. All of my friends from Chicago, Los Angles and NYC metro relocated to Sugarland. Sugarland is also the nearest burb to chinatown, also the indian section on hillcroft/59 and the medical center. highway59 looks like its the straight and reliable road to downtown when you look at the map

Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,107 times
But commute from Sugar Land to downtown for jobs is still tough tough, isn't it. Over an hour each way; that adds up to almost 3 hours driving on the road every working day.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
Asians have the money and common sense to live in that area :-) I love Sugarland, a ton of my friends (Viets) have bought houses there recently. Hopefully the price of the area will keep out bad company.
Bad company as in the conditions and poorer asians/non-asians in Alief they left behind? They probably live there because it was the next suburb to Alief.

Wysiwyg: Which Chinatown are you referring to, the OLD Chinatown east of downtown Houston or the NEW Chinatown along Bellaire Blvd in Alief/Sharpstown? US 59 is also the border between downtown and OLD Chinatown which gives it easy access compared to NEW Chinatown further away from 59.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Sugarland is probably the most popular location to out of state suburban dwellers looking to relocate to Houston. All of my friends from Chicago, Los Angles and NYC metro relocated to Sugarland. Sugarland is also the nearest burb to chinatown, also the indian section on hillcroft/59 and the medical center. highway59 looks like its the straight and reliable road to downtown when you look at the map
I always thought it was the Woodlands, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Sugar Land.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:14 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I always thought it was the Woodlands, but wouldn't be surprised if it was Sugar Land.
please dont think this has any racial tone but if its an asian talking say in NYC where i'm from, they'd be like 'oh yeah sugarland's nice!' and the non-asians just go 'we live in the woodlands' (not THE Woodlands).
I didnt even know about THE Woodlands before i got here. in anycase, that long commute thru Spring where you got big tall pickup trucks (some with that confederate flag/stickers) doesnt look to inviting

Kerrtown,
New Chinatown. I would think the new(?) center of chinatown is sam houston(8) tollway and bellaire. thats where major groceries and other popular shops are. highway 8 is a quick way to sugarland. dairy-ashford isnt too bad too

not sure which parts of sugarland youre refering too but normally 59 is rolling (non stop but slow) I start driving on 59 from bellaire and its probably 10mins to downtown during rushhour. its faster going back. just stay on the left, the city engineers who thought of these freeway entry/exits werent too smart. I now use the HOV lane and dont see many cars from sugarland - not sure if its congestion further out would be the reason but its normally real quick when you get on it

Old 04-17-2007, 08:30 AM

76 posts, read 388,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Bad company as in the conditions and poorer asians/non-asians in Alief they left behind? They probably live there because it was the next suburb to Alief.
That's not the bad company. And nah, they all live there because they are well-to-do, hard working professionals who want a good life for their children. Most of them never lived in Alief.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:05 PM

26 posts, read 122,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
Why is there such a huge concentration of Asians in Sugarland? Do they just commute to Houston for work?

You see a high percentage of Asians at Universities in Houston (Rice University, UH, etc.), how come the overal population of Asians is so small within Houston?

Sugarland City is not the same as Houston City. Sugarland is in the greater Houston metropolitan.

Rice University undergrad + postgrades have only about around 5000 students, they mostly live on campus, doubt you see many of them commuting.

Asian population in the US tends to be around major cities and where population is most dense -- Los Angeles metro, New York City metro, San Francisco, etc.

Houston asians in Sugarland is mostly Vietnamnese and Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston