Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the Trees Along Freeways
Yes- Trees are good for air, beauty, & environment 71 91.03%
No- Trees are boring and rural looking 3 3.85%
Don't care 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
It just seems like the tree planting in north houston (between downtown and outside the beltway) hasn't done enough as far as hiding all the disgusting looking buildings and old apartment hangers. I just think a sound wall with trees planted along side of it would help it appear more new and uniform (look at Katy Freeway). Now down by Broadway and I-45, they need to plant more because the palm trees they tried planting down that way appear to be dying.
Well you have to wait for the trees to mature fully and you'll get a 30 ft tree wall. However, I do agree that putting up more sound walls will help, but I don't think they should line the highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,584 times
Angry The trees will become a concern with a future hurricane

A no vote on the trees along the Houston freeways does not have to be based on how they look. My no vote is due to concern for the future after these trees have grown large and we get another direct hit from a hurricane. There will potentially be thousands of trees down across the feeders and freeways impeding emergency vehicles and residents at a crucial time for access and egress. It will delay the time required to get the city back to normal.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:52 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Fortunately Houston does not get many big hurricanes. They get one once every 20-30 years and even then, it could be a cat 2. Houston should be fine when it comes to that.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,343 times
I guess I'm just plain old dummmm, when I see them planting allll those trees( just planted several hundred @ the beltway and hwy 90) and the crews out there watering them seven days a week, and the special mowers required to mow around them when we are laying off police officers and teachers, I just have to wonder why and who the hell is benifiting from it.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times
They look pretty pathetic right now because of the drought. Skinny and brown small trees lining the freeways is really sad. Wonder what it would all look like if not for the drought.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richeyb1944 View Post
I guess I'm just plain old dummmm, when I see them planting allll those trees( just planted several hundred @ the beltway and hwy 90) and the crews out there watering them seven days a week, and the special mowers required to mow around them when we are laying off police officers and teachers, I just have to wonder why and who the hell is benifiting from it.
The people able to feed their family with the jobs.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 PM

683 posts, read 834,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Dang i thought this topic would be more of a topic of discussion. So there's no one who thinks that all the trees ruralizes the area?
They clean the air, they help reduce noise and reduce HEAT. Do all the beautiful streets of Houston make us feel like we live in a rural area? No...they are beautiful tree lined streets with trees that help to clean the air, reduce noise and heat. Discussions like this one make me start feeling bad about moving to a city where people ask questions that are really disguised statement of facts.

http://www.naturewithin.info/transportation.html

Old 11-18-2011, 12:01 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Trees all over the state, not just in Houston are dying left & right because of this record drought.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,176,658 times
Take a look at what they did in the name of planting trees on I 10 west of the Grand Parkway. What a schlop job they did on that. Total waste of taxpayer money. It looks terrible.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 01-15-2019, 05:43 AM

134 posts, read 133,617 times
I think the trees look great along 610 east!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston