Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 PM

39 posts, read 107,466 times

Advertisements

I need your help Houstonians. I searched old threads to try and get some ideas to no avail. My Mom and my aunt are coming this weekend and would like to do some things that are unique to Houston. I am pretty new here myself. I guess when i think about things like museums, the galleria, art galleries, etc.. I feel like those are things you can do in most big cities so not really interested in that. NASA is the only thing that came to mind that would be unique to this city. Already been to Kemah, and Galveston is a little far due to time constraints. I was thinking maybe walking around old town spring as an example. Areas of town with fun shops, a great Houston restaurant, and any other must sees. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM

147 posts, read 351,035 times
Houston isn't know for great attractions. It can kind of suck when you just get here. Start at Montrose and Westheimer. That is the coolest and most unique area of Houston. There is really no need to go to the Galleria. Our biggest attraction is the people.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:25 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,898 times
Where are they from?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Houston doesn't have attractions, it is the attraction.

It's not something easily taken in by tourists on short time looking for instant gratification.

Just send them out to NASA, buy them T-shirts and say you did your best to send them home happy.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:22 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
The tourist attractions are in Galveston/Kemah.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:40 PM

298 posts, read 955,219 times
I wouldn't go to Kemah (blah!) but we have some great smaller museums/spaces (Contemporary Arts, Houston Center for Photography, Art Car Museum, Museum of Funerary History, etc) and some areas of town that might be of interest - west Bellaire/Hong Kong Market area, Montrose, Heights...oh, and downtown like Discovery Green..

Old 06-28-2009, 11:03 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
Why not Kemah?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Walking around in this heat may not be the best move! Nasa for sure...at least your in air-conditioning, for the most part. Galveston is just down the road another 20 minutes or so.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taapple View Post
I guess when i think about things like museums, the galleria, art galleries, etc.. I feel like those are things you can do in most big cities so not really interested in that. NASA is the only thing that came to mind that would be unique to this city. Already been to Kemah, and Galveston is a little far due to time constraints.

Sounds like you covered most of it.

If you do NASA, Kemah is pretty convenient and same goes for the Armand Bayou Nature Center if that interests you. Maybe make pit stops to check out Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto Monument since now you're on the east side and don't forget to take a deep breath and enjoy those smells while you're there. That's one Houston experience I guess.

BTW don't fall for the Aquarium restaurant tourist trap in Kemah and that goes for downtown as well. When you're on I-45, instead hit up Taqueria Del Sol for some great Tex-Mex just outside the loop on the SE side. Prob my favorite Tex-Mex place on the whole south side to get stuffed for $8 and don't forget to splurge @ the bakery next door.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:23 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,291,606 times
Houston has many great things to do.
I would go to Museum of Natural Science and see Terra Cotta Warriors. It is suppose to be one of the top 5 exhibits in the world, and it not going everywhere in the US.

Rice Village for shopping and a great bite to eat at the Ruggles Cafe or a cold beer at the Gingerman.

San Jacinto Monument is bigger than the Washington Monument and the place where we won our independence from Mexico.

Discovery Green and an Astros game dinner at Mia Bella downtown on Main.

The aquarium downtown.

The zoo

The original Ninfas on Navigation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston