Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,645 times

Advertisements

I will be possibly moving to the Galveston area and need ifo from actual residents or people that know the area. What are the best neighborhood, what kind of environment it is, typical things people want to know about a new area.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 AM

61 posts, read 351,481 times
Recently, Galveston has seen an explosion of tourist and cruiselines like no other. Therefore, with investments property or residential homesteads, you can do very well. Galveston is a very nice historical town on a barrier island. East end is more historical, west end is booming with commercial properties and townhomes. It has a suprisingly diverse culture (politically, racially, religiously, socially). It is not South Miami Beach, but its on par with Savannah, Ga.

There are a lot of good private schools there and a respectable medical school.

The two major drags I have about Galveston are the large crowds during major events: Mardi Gras, college spring-break, and annual fraternity parties and of course the hurricanes which has not happened since Hurrican Alicia in 83'. But even the mere threat of one or a tropical storm can shut down the town.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:47 AM

169 posts, read 678,971 times
The best neighborhoods depend on your personal preferences. Alot of people prefer to live on the west end where there is supposedly less crime. The west end doesn't have many nice older homes however so I would never choose to live there. If I had the money, I'd live in the east end historical section north of Broadway. Very nice homes and the neighborhoods have a nice relaxed feeling. Plus it's a quick walk or bike ride to the Strand. It all really depends on what you're looking for in a neighborhood, prices etc. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:54 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,835,641 times
It wasn't too many years ago that Galveston was pretty much a dump. There was nothing there and it was very, very poor. In that last maybe 10 - 15 years it has gone way up. They renovated the "Strand" which is a touristy type street with shops and galleries, and the gentrification has spilled over to the neighboring blocks like Post Office St. and others. Sushi bars, galleries, antique shops, and things that were unheard of down there not too terribly long ago.

The East end historical district, north of Broadway from around 8th to 19th street (not exact boundaries) is really breathtaking. I haven't been to Savannah or Charleston, so the only thing I know to compare it to is the Garden District in New Orleans. Row after row of gingerbread Victorians. South of Broadway along 25th, Rosenberg, is another Historic District called the silk stocking district I think. Gorgeous homes along 25th and below. Above 25th it kind of goes down hill in the sections near Broadway. The Lost Bayou Historic District sits south of Broadway across from the East End district. There are some nice homes there. The area closest to the sea wall from about where Broadway hits Seawall over to Silk Stocking is called San Jacinto. Very mixed, but a lot of Houstonians are buying second homes in this area.

Further west there are still lots of great historic homes. Actually the San Jacinto area is the highest on the Island. It would be the last to flood if a Katrina type storm ever hit the island head on.

There are new hi-rise condos going up on the island, new restaurants and cafes opening up. A new convention center, an ever-increasing cruise line business, UTMB, a new master planned community called Evia I think, that is actually behind the sea wall. (I would HAVE to be behind the sea wall myself for all the obvious reasons).

I looked at second homes down there in '04 that were $65,000 range. Those same homes are around $100k now. Prices in the last several years have shot up down there. Mostly due to Houstonians buying second homes.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:54 PM

Something you must remember when thinking of Galveston is that we are an island. A large enough storm will once again cover us completely in water. Not even the seawall can protect us from a big enough one. Please don't be fooled by a false sense of security that some find in having the seawall there. Also if you are in certain areas of the city, they will tell you that you don't need flood insurance. Get it. I've learned that if we are going to flood, it is more than likely going to build from the bay side where there is no protection. Better to be safe than sorry I figure.

Last edited by txgrl; 12-25-2006 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-25-2006, 11:36 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Galvesto is a pretty neat area. Last 2 years property skyrocketed and now it is pretty flat. Depending on hurricanes and interest rates it could go up again. Everything people have said seems to be true. What is cool is that you can live on the beach for relatively cheap, yet be close to the historic downtown section where it is a whole new scene. All the shopping you need is on the island. Plus you are still close to houston the 4th largest city. If you need more stores just drive up the highway and theres every store imaginable. Because there is such a wide range of neighborhoods, you should spend some time just driving around the island and seee what appeals to you. A good realtor will help point out goood and not so good areas. I visit galveston about 6 or 7 times a year and have a few houses on the west end. Good luck & exploring.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 8,645 times
So overall, it is a nice, safe, friendly area? How is the surf is it pretty decent? Sorry I have a lot of questions and want to get an idea of where to go/look out for when I go check it out.

Thanks

Old 12-26-2006, 11:50 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,835,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swt Peril View Post
So overall, it is a nice, safe, friendly area? How is the surf is it pretty decent? Sorry I have a lot of questions and want to get an idea of where to go/look out for when I go check it out.

Thanks
Some areas are still scary as $*% others are really, really nice.

I agree with the above post that things seem to have leveled off a bit. The affordable properties in places like San Jacinto, though, still move in a hurry. Galveston has changed so much in the last few years, that I think the possibility of it continuing to improve quickly is great.

And true, Houston is just 45 minutes away so shopping & other amenities are available there.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:15 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,576,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swt Peril View Post

Thanks
I think it is like a lot of other areas in that there's a few spots not to walk alone at night but during the day almost all of galveston is Okay.
I live in a town where a murder happens once every 2-4 years, upper middle class to alluent, no homeless people or panhandlers, and very family oriented. That' what I am use to. That being said I myself would live in galveston with no reservations at all. But that's just me.
I know there a few good sized surf shops there, but the times I've been the waves looked pretty small. Locals tell me they used to surf all the time in their younger days.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
during the day almost all of galveston is Okay.
I live in a town where a murder happens once every 2-4 years, upper middle class to alluent, no homeless people or panhandlers, and very family oriented. That' what I am use to. That being said I myself would live in galveston with no reservations at all. But that's just me.
As for Galveston being safe, including ALL parts during the day, I wouldn't go that far. It took me 3 years to get used to the crime here, and I still don't know if I'm really all that used to it. We have far more murders than that, I'd check out the local newspaper to keep up to date on crime. There are homeless people here and they do panhandle as well as dig in your trash for cans. If you have an alley, it will more than likely be frequented by hookers. Alot of change is happening here, this is true. The crime is still here and I'm sure it always will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston