Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:38 PM

57 posts, read 124,747 times

Advertisements

In mid August I will be crossing the country from Florida to Phoenix, AZ (moving to Phoenix for grad school) along Interstate 10. Of course Houston is the largest metropolis along the way. I was planning to do the trip in four days, however am thinking of doing the trip in five days with one day devoted to Houston. My question is, if I had one day to see Houston as an area, what are the must see sites and things to do as a tourist? Was planning on staying somewhere in the CBD. Any posts would be helpful. Thankyou!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 04:45 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Art Museum is one of the largest in the world

Old 07-11-2009, 04:48 PM

147 posts, read 350,982 times
Drive through Houston and spend the extra time in San Antonio.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:57 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
It depends on what you like to do. You can easily spend the afternoon in the Museum District going to the various museums which is connected to downtown by light rail. There's good eats and places to drink all around.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Yeah, San Antonio would be a stop on my four day plan (Day two would be New Orleans to San Antonio). But I am a city lover, and thought there would be more to do in the larger of the two, Houston.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:02 PM

Was also thinking about seeing the Galleria, which I heard is one of the nicest malls in the nation. But honestly, I do not know if it would be worth stopping for a mall...LOL.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcityluvn View Post
Yeah, San Antonio would be a stop on my four day plan (Day two would be New Orleans to San Antonio). But I am a city lover, and thought there would be more to do in the larger of the two, Houston.
San Antonio is the more tourist oriented of the two however.

That said, there are lots of older buildings downtown if you like architecture. It's baseball season, if that interests you, and the Astros play downtown. If you stayed somewhere downtown you can ride the light rail to the Museum District. More restaurants than could even begin to be named.

It all comes down to what you want to do. There's plenty to see and do, but some of it is really spread out around the city and metro area and isn't really set up in such a way that somebody can come in on limited time and experience it all.

Visit Houston: Houston Attractions, Accommodations and Visitor Guide

Old 07-11-2009, 05:11 PM

147 posts, read 350,982 times
I love Houston, but I don't recommed it as a tourist destination. Unless you really love museums, then we don't have much to offer really. It is a big town, but as the saying goes, "Houston is a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit."

Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dirty View Post
I love Houston, but I don't recommed it as a tourist destination. Unless you really love museums, then we don't have much to offer really. It is a big town, but as the saying goes, "Houston is a great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit."
What part of town do you live in? Do you ever go into Houston proper or stay in your isolated suburbia?
Houston has tons to offer...theater,ballet,concerts,live music,baseball,discovery green,shopping,museums,zoo,water parks,water wall,rice village,NASA,beaches,world renowned exhibits,local hot spots not to mention the best dining in the world of every type.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dirty View Post
I agree; Houston isn't a city I would reccommend visiting unless you have family or friends here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston