Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 PM

89 posts, read 143,432 times

Advertisements

You can do better than standing there with a bunch of illegals.
I just read the other day that the unemployment rate ( national level) is about 4-5% for people holding a Bachelor's degree. Should be even lower for the Master's degree.
I don't know where you have looked for jobs, but there is something out there. I just don't believe that you can not find anything. Considering your GPA, degree and experience, it should not be that hard at all. At least something that does not involve waiting for someone to pick you up outside of a Home Depot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 26,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keks View Post
You can do better than standing there with a bunch of illegals.
I just read the other day that the unemployment rate ( national level) is about 4-5% for people holding a Bachelor's degree. Should be even lower for the Master's degree.
I don't know where you have looked for jobs, but there is something out there. I just don't believe that you can not find anything. Considering your GPA, degree and experience, it should not be that hard at all. At least something that does not involve waiting for someone to pick you up outside of a Home Depot
Just about everyone in Houston (everyone who I have met) holds at least a bachelors degree. A college degree alone does not seperate anyone, regardless of GPA. Experience sets you apart, and I only have 2.75 years. Compared to dozens of other applicants, several of them will beat me.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM

9 posts, read 26,477 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I'm willing to do the toughest of all jobs and am well aware that racism does exists. Although I am not racist, I am still concerned that others may be racist towards me. I came here to seek information on how to do the toughest of all jobs while forgetting about all of my past achieivements and accepting I may not yet be qualified for the typical 'dream job' that may eventually lead to a rewarding career.

I have acknowledged that most Mexicans have darker skin than whites and typically can handle the sun better than someone with pale white skin, but nothing I have said has been derragatory towards any race.

I am showing my willingness to work hard while putting aside any disbeliefs that I am overqualified for any job given the current state of our economy.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 07-13-2009 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post your post was replying to has been deleted

Old 07-13-2009, 06:24 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,623,586 times
Home Depot on Bellaire in the Chinatown - lots of them standing along the side and the curb. They rush at the pickup trucks that slow down in the lane by Home Depot. You could try to join those folks and see if you can get the job you want. Also you want to make sure you have trade skills like carpentry, masonry, things like that.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,777,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned People who spend their life savings get to Houston via trunks of cars, walking through deserts and running from law enforcement are going to work harder than us natural born citizens.
Translation; People who sneaks into this country "illegally" and jump ahead of the people who are waiting in line to do it the right way are going to work harder than us natural born citizens.

Last edited by Bo; 07-14-2009 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original

Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,529,710 times
Walk the upper upper class neighborhoods with your resume and some references. Ask for cash only. You'll be good to go. You'd be in shock how many people would be willing to pay 20 bucks more an hour for an educated person to be the girl/guy Friday or to shuttle the kids.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,588,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Translation; People who sneaks into this country "illegally" and jump ahead of the people who are waiting in line to do it the right way are going to work harder than us natural born citizens.
You do realize that if you are of European descent, there's a very good chance you weren't on any list at Ellis Island, thus making you the descendant of illegals, correct?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,760,931 times
Can you tell us what your exact degree is and exact jobs you apply for?

I'm also having bad luck with Mechanical Engineering, Technical Writing, and CAD work... But I'm lucky as I get $806 monthly on SSDI. I have a BSME for the Univ of IL at Urbana Champaign [top 6 college for that].

Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,777,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
You do realize that if you are of European descent, there's a very good chance you weren't on any list at Ellis Island, thus making you the descendant of illegals, correct?
So then maybe we should just open up the gates and let everyone come as they please

Old 07-13-2009, 06:41 PM

298 posts, read 956,177 times
Like someone previously asked, what specifically are your degrees and experience in? There might be some folks here who can give you some leads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston