Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 PM

10 posts, read 36,123 times

Advertisements

I am going to build a house by Ryland builder in Telfair. I have finished making selections in design center. I want to know when I can meet the builder? How can I know the progress of the building process? How often I can meet the builder?

Is there anybody having the experience with Ryland builder can explain the whole process?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 AM

15 posts, read 76,311 times
I just went through a Ryland build for my Mom's house. The builder should be contacting you shortly to set up a meeting. He'll go over your site plan and provide an estimated schedule. If you don't hear from him soon, contact your sales agent.

I had a very positive experience with my builder. He was on-site every day, and available to answer questions. In addition to the two "official" walk throughs, we did several informal walk throughs. He encouraged me to stop by and check out the work in progress as often as I wanted.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 PM

37 posts, read 86,942 times
I own a Ryland home in Telfair for more than 2 years now. Ryland calls their superintendent is the builder. I believe that you have 3 chances to meet with them formally. I seem to remember that our first meeting took place when they completed the 1st stage, which is the completion of the frame of our house. You should keep an eye on the progress of the house and note all the deficiencies or deviations so you can bring them up to the table during this meeting. How do you do that? I frequented the location after the foundation was completed and it is ready to be framed. I used to skip lunches and stopped by the house or whenever I can, especially on the weekends. I would suggest that you take a camera with you to capture any thing in question.

The second meeting is when the house is ready to be sheetrocked. Ask them to bring a copy of the blue print of the house so you can check all the electrical outlets, data ports, light and fan switches etc.. Also pay attention to your insulation. In some areas of the house, they will be blow the wet insulation and some areas are filled in with dry type. You can ask them to explain as why they do that. It was weird to me at least.

The last meeting is the final walk through. It usually takes place about a week or 2 before your closing dates.

You are not limited to these meetings. You can still get in touch with the builder through your sale person. I noticed a few things wrong with my house between the meetings and wanted the builder to take notes and fix them as soon as they can. They will respond to your requests.

It is an experience that you'll never forget, but this is your biggest investment so spend time and make it right. I did and it was well spent time and energy. Enjoy your home being built from the ground up. Take a lot of pictures.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 14,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horn892002 View Post
I own a Ryland home in Telfair for more than 2 years now. Ryland calls their superintendent is the builder. I believe that you have 3 chances to meet with them formally. I seem to remember that our first meeting took place when they completed the 1st stage, which is the completion of the frame of our house. You should keep an eye on the progress of the house and note all the deficiencies or deviations so you can bring them up to the table during this meeting. How do you do that? I frequented the location after the foundation was completed and it is ready to be framed. I used to skip lunches and stopped by the house or whenever I can, especially on the weekends. I would suggest that you take a camera with you to capture any thing in question.

The second meeting is when the house is ready to be sheetrocked. Ask them to bring a copy of the blue print of the house so you can check all the electrical outlets, data ports, light and fan switches etc.. Also pay attention to your insulation. In some areas of the house, they will be blow the wet insulation and some areas are filled in with dry type. You can ask them to explain as why they do that. It was weird to me at least.

The last meeting is the final walk through. It usually takes place about a week or 2 before your closing dates.

You are not limited to these meetings. You can still get in touch with the builder through your sale person. I noticed a few things wrong with my house between the meetings and wanted the builder to take notes and fix them as soon as they can. They will respond to your requests.

It is an experience that you'll never forget, but this is your biggest investment so spend time and make it right. I did and it was well spent time and energy. Enjoy your home being built from the ground up. Take a lot of pictures.

What are the things we should care most during the building process??

Thanks
Abhi

Old 07-22-2009, 07:54 PM

Things that caught our attentions the most were the 2 X 4 on the rafters and load bearing beams around the house. Some 2 X 4 during transporting, were bent and have broken pieces fell off. The framers will put any thing in since they are on the deadlines (and to be fair they tried hard but it is not their interests to check to see the 2 X 4 are up to the tasks). On our house, Some 2 X 4, have "eyes" and they were chipped away after they were nailed to the frame. Also, check to see if they put metal plates to protect the plastic water pipes and electrical wires. They will reinforce the beams or rafters if you point them out at the time

Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horn892002 View Post
Things that caught our attentions the most were the 2 X 4 on the rafters and load bearing beams around the house. Some 2 X 4 during transporting, were bent and have broken pieces fell off. The framers will put any thing in since they are on the deadlines (and to be fair they tried hard but it is not their interests to check to see the 2 X 4 are up to the tasks). On our house, Some 2 X 4, have "eyes" and they were chipped away after they were nailed to the frame. Also, check to see if they put metal plates to protect the plastic water pipes and electrical wires. They will reinforce the beams or rafters if you point them out at the time

thanks a lot for useful info......please keep updating in this thread about whatever you think we should take care during building process...

They have put plumbing pipes in my lot today..

abhi

Old 07-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Oh another thing, If you have an opportunity to inspect the house before it got sheetrocked, check to see if you have hurricane clips on the base boards and strips on the joints of two floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston