Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 30,664 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New York and am looking to move to Houston.

I am a straight single male, would like to rent a room in a Victorian home (or anything other than those bland, modern, "cookie cutter" homes, condos, or apartment complexes), and I like to go to bars, clubs, funky restaurants and theaters. I also like meeting new and interesting people. I want a neighborhood that is walkable and has character. Montrose seems to fit that description perfectly.

I am not homophobic (at least I hope I'm not, you tell me), but I want to be able to go to a wide variety of bars and clubs that aren't dominated by gays. I want meet nice, interesting and single women that are straight. I want a lot of my friends to be straight, thought I certainly wouldn't mind having gay friends too. I also want to live in a part of Montrose that has a substantial number of straights. I realize there is a very sizable population of gays in Montrose and that they helped to make Montrose the aesthically pleasing and culturally vibrant place it is today. But I guess I want to be in a community where gays are part of the tapestry rather than a community where gay culture pretty much dominates.

So I guess I have a two-part question:
1) Is there a straight-haven in the "gay-haven" of Monstrose?
2) Do you think I'm homophobic? I don't believe that I am. I'm Asian-American, and I would feel the same about a place dominated by whites (which is why I don't want to move to cities like Austin or Madison, WI despite their tolerance and liberalism). I just want to be around a diverse group of people that are friendly, but I don't want to be in a place where one group of minorities is predominant. Thx
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,120 times
Quote:
I'm Asian-American, and I would feel the same about a place dominated by whites (which is why I don't want to move to cities like Austin or Madison, WI despite their tolerance and liberalism).
I don't know what the statistics say, but I've met a number of Asian-Americans in Austin - several are good friends of mine.
You don't sound homophobic to me - chill

Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
I wouldn't say there's a straight haven in Montrose, lol, but you should enjoy yourself living there. It's not completely gay.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,270 times
Montrose has become such a charming area. I think most people would be happy there.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:59 PM

And it's pretty walkable, too.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:17 AM

76 posts, read 388,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I wouldn't say there's a straight haven in Montrose, lol, but you should enjoy yourself living there. It's not completely gay.
^^^^^^ ditto

Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 24,157 times
Default Gayborhood

Montrose is only known as the gay area to people that don't really know Montrose. To those in the know, it's simply known as "the Trose". While a lot of gay men and women seek out Montrose because of it's tolerance and presence of gay-friendly businesses, it has a lot of other attractions that have nothing to do with sexual orientation. Most of the unique and trendy restaurants are in this area ofcourse, as well as tons of the cool, cultural scenes of Houston. If you are super worried about the gay-label of the area, check out the surrounding areas like the Shepherd/Upper Kirby area, or Museum District. A lot of my friends live in Montrose and none of them are gay.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 AM

17 posts, read 90,012 times
Default I live in Montrose

I've lived in the Montrose for about three years now. The make-up of the neighborhood is definitely on the younger side, lots of twenty and thirty-somethings. There are lots of artists, musicians, and other interesting people. It is not exclusively, or even predominantly gay. Most people do seem to be single, as there are very few children. It's one of the few areas in Houston that really has an urban neighborhood feel to it. The neighborhood is walkable, which is a rarity in Houston. There are lots of beautiful old houses, especially craftsman style. There are several gay bars and clubs, but you'll actually find more straight bars and clubs here. There are also lots of great restaurants and shops. I wouldn't live in any other neighborhood in Houston.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabambound View Post
It's one of the few areas in Houston that really has an urban neighborhood feel to it.
Don't you mean it's one of few areas that are a walkable neighborhood? The whole city is urban.

Quote:
There are several gay bars and clubs, but you'll actually find more straight bars and clubs here. There are also lots of great restaurants and shops. I wouldn't live in any other neighborhood in Houston.
What's a straight bar, lol?

Old 04-25-2007, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 34,045 times
look into the Heights. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. sweet old homes and it's just north of Montrose.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 04-25-2007 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: Use PM if you have realtor recommendations please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston