Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,919 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at a few houses around that area. What's the scoop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
nice area, inside the loop, close to the med center. Fairly good value for inside the loop. In Woodside and Woodshire I have seen some really nice mid-century ranches with a lot of flagstone accents. They seem a bit smaller in Knollwood Village I think.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
My friend (whose wife works in the med-center) just bought a house in there. Real cute little 3 bedroom with nice wood floors throughout. Theres some real gems in there. His main concern was the flood zones though and it made him real picky about the house he bought (didn't look at houses in the 100 year flood zone, only the 500 yr flood zone). See maps2.tsarp.org for flood zone information. Otherwise, I think that area has alot of upside potential in the future.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:59 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
It's connection to more upscale areas like Old Braeswood, West U, and Bellaire, as well as proximity to the Med Center, give that area a lot of appeal. I have friends in Knollwood Village, who recently knocked down their house and built a McMansion. IMO, the value of many of the originaly homes is in the lot, not the structure (at least in Knollwood Village, where the homes were tract), so that is a big part of what you are paying for.

If it were my money, I would look at Willow Meadows, as I think there is more value for the dollar.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,079 times
I used to live in Knollwood Village. I had to move because I got divorced and the mortgage payment was more than my take-home salary, but I loved living there. It is convenient to everything. In the twenty years since then, the prices have tripled. I wish I had kept the darned house and rented out some rooms! Sadly, the house we owned is in a pretty poor state now and is still appraised at over $300,000. I still can't afford to buy there.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
The older homes are not that appealing but it's a good location. I believe it is zoned to Bellaire HS and that's a huge market but I didn't like the program at Longfellow Elementary School.

Some people will move in the area just because of the high school. But improvements are on the way with tear downs and extensive remodeling. One thing I don't like is being too close to the flood zone, the dead strip centers on Stella Link, and the Reliant Stadium...the Rodeo is about to start and you'll have traffic almost everyday for a month. This neighborhood deserves a better recognition but it's in a tough spot. Like travelguy said, look around Willow Meadows or Ayrshire if you can cough up another $150K.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
To Knollowood Village is overpriced $400k to $500k Linkwood is a nicer neighborhood nicer homes & bigger lots you can a nice home for around $400K

Old 02-23-2011, 06:16 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
To Knollowood Village is overpriced $400k to $500k Linkwood is a nicer neighborhood nicer homes & bigger lots you can a nice home for around $400K
Huh? most homes I've seen in Knollwood are around 300-400k (1500-1800 sqft). Are you referring to the fewer, larger homes?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM

28 posts, read 80,417 times
My house is currently on the market in Knollwood Village. We have LOVED living here. However, I work a I-10 and the Beltway and my commute each way is quite long. Plus, we have outgrown our sweet little house. If you work inside the loop, especially the medical center, downtown, or Greenway Plaza, the location is awesome. My husband literally walks to Texans games during the season. We intend to walk to the Rodeo as well (we go at least 2 nights of cook-off and for a couple shows every year). A cab ride from Rice Village after a night out is super cheap, as is fare from midtown and downtown. We are also about 5 minutes from the Zoo, the Museum District and the Galleria. I will totally miss this location!!

The downside is as mentioned above, the "dead" strip malls along Main Street. They are very slowly being torn down or renovated though. In a couple years, I expect they'll be totally revitalized with new restaurants and commercial shops. I am sad to leave before all that happens.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM

28 posts, read 80,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I totally disagree with this. Linkwood can be pretty sketchy with all those rundown apartments right in the center of it. There is a reason larger homes sell for the same price as the smaller ones in Knollwood. Knollwood is much more desireable bc it doesn't have those apartment, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: