Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 PM

36 posts, read 111,538 times

Advertisements

I recently was upset because a builder who would not discount me an amount that I explained would go right back to the builder in options gave my realtor a referral incentive that was larger than what I wanted off....more upset because I referred the agent an not vice versa....seems very ridiculous since the realtor did nothing but give his name and we did all negotiations. Why would the builder not give more to the person spending the money....

I am wondering how people feel about extra incentives given to the realtor instead of more to the buyer from builders. Crazy but I heard some realtors are getting TV, trips, gift cards, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:02 AM

958 posts, read 2,573,360 times
Why didn't you talk to the realtor to give you a large kick back for giving them free money?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 AM

100 posts, read 305,737 times
You need to provide some more details, there's a lot of variables. How much discount were you asking, what the realtor was getting, what discounts were already given.

TV = less than 2k, trips same, gift cards? Of course the buyer is paying for all of it. Nothing crazy about it, it's the builders way of telling the realtor, "find me more business." Better yet, since you know about the realtor incentive, ask realtor for it...

Old 08-17-2009, 08:06 AM

11 posts, read 28,001 times
You should have had the realtor do thier job and do the negotiating for you. Our agent got us a discount that was 4 times what he got from our builder. I'm guessing if we walked in off the street we would not have gotten that.

Any incentives that an agent gets, comes out of the builders advertising budget. This is an expense they had already planned for. So, anything the agent gets should not impact the price you are paying for the home.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 AM

809 posts, read 3,568,928 times
If the builder was advertising a Realtor bonus on the house, they can't exactly take that away from the realtor and give it to you. It sounds like they were offering an extra bonus on the house you picked out, and as a buyer, you wouldn't know this. But a realtor would have.

Builders give extra incentives to realtors all the time as a way to get a realtor to steer their clients to them. You just so happened to bring the realtor to them, but they still have to honor the bonus.

Yes, realtors get extra money, gift cards, even trips if they sell enough of the builder's homes. Sellers of a resale house can also offer a realtor bonus.

It would be nice if your realtor asked the builder to give the bonus to you in a form of a discount instead of taking the bonus themselves. But they don't have to.

You also might have been able to get more money off the house if you didn't use a realtor at all, but realtors do serve a purpose. They can help you negotiation a lower price, show comps to back up your offer, help you through the whole process, go on your buyer walks with you, and help you through the closing process. So use your realtor for all these things since you are using one.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 AM

36 posts, read 111,538 times
Exactly! You guys are all right in your responses. Bottom line is bottom line and I only got a realtor involved because I did get some kickback but nothing like what they got for my referral to the builder...I offered the builder to not use a realtor at the beginning but didn't even know that realtors actually got a huge referral fee on top of their commission. Just a little crazy since I'm the buying and the money has to come from somewhere and now teh builder is out $10k more than I asked for originally w/ no one else involved.
Oh well! I may walk now since I am more offended!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
I would be irritated, too.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:00 AM

15 posts, read 76,247 times
Default Negotiating Tactics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFEdoc View Post
Why would the builder not give more to the person spending the money....
Why should the builder give you a discount? They want to maximize their profits, and you were obviously willing to pay full price. If you're not willing to walk away from a bad deal, you don't have any leverage. It may not be "fair", but it is how the world works.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,774 times
It is like an advertising budget. It doesnt have anything to do with your house. These are across the board btsa's given to Realtors who bring in business. Your Realtor was just lucky and I am sure she is very thankful to have an easy sale and client in this enviroment. The money doesnt come from your money it comes from the builders incentive/advertising budget. I dont understand why people do not want Realtors to feed and clothe their children when it isnt even their money paying them! Give them a break and if you like the house buy it.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
The money doesnt come from your money it comes from the builders incentive/advertising budget. I dont understand why people do not want Realtors to feed and clothe their children when it isnt even their money paying them!
But it IS our money. The cost for Realtors is built into most real estate transactions. I want Realtors to be able to feed and clothe their children, just not by being a Realtor. I want the entire system to be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: