Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 AM

925 posts, read 4,709,684 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Today when I was about to lock the door of my house. I found that lock (small cylinder) thing just came out. I call my husband and he looked at it and found a very very very very thin wire in the lock. Is that possible break-in. Now, the door is not locking from the outside.

Any ideas how to fix it or how much a locksmith is going to cost to repair a lock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I'm having locks replaced in a home we own in Fl. I wanted better locks with a keyed dead bolt. Doorknob locks are running about $35 with the matching upper keyed deadbolt $45....plus installation since hubby is not out there to do it.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:39 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi,

Today when I was about to lock the door of my house. I found that lock (small cylinder) thing just came out. I call my husband and he looked at it and found a very very very very thin wire in the lock. Is that possible break-in. Now, the door is not locking from the outside.

Any ideas how to fix it or how much a locksmith is going to cost to repair a lock?
If you can put batteries in a flashlight and own a screwdriver you are qualified to purchase a replacement and have the attendant at the key/lock desk at Lowe's/Home Depot/Berings/Ace re-key the lock to your existing keys. Not all keys fit in all locks, so you should try to get the same make and model as your existing locks.

Should cost around $50 if you have garden variety hardware.

I'm considering getting a blank-faced throw to install in addition to the existing security doorknob and deadbolt as an additional safety measure for times when I or my family are home.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,519 times
Unless things have changed drastically in the past few months, keys cut at Houston area Lowe's/Home Depot stores often don't work.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Unless things have changed drastically in the past few months, keys cut at Houston area Lowe's/Home Depot stores often don't work.
You're right about that. The automated key cutters do not seem to function as well as a semi-skilled human operator. I get my keys copied at Berings because there is still a human cutting keys with a template rather than that stupid automated machine.

However, any big box or hardware store should be able to rearrange the tumblers in any off-the-shelf lock for a minimal amount of money and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston