Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 PM

851 posts, read 3,627,125 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know where I can find someone to make a glass hood for me? It's about 37 wide, 27 deep and 27 high. or where can I buy one roughly in the same size?

Instead of a kitchen ventilation, i decide to build a hood to cover the stove which comes with a stupid down draft vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
When I first saw this thread I was thinking of a glass car hood. LOL

Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default You will most likely need to order one...

You might call any of the many glass companies in Houston, they can design one for you. Else order one that is already made from the Internet. Either way, expect to pay a bundle for heat tempered glass.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Couldn't you just use plexiglass or something similar?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:29 AM

Default I'm not sure acrylic would be safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Couldn't you just use plexiglass or something similar?
Certainly it is easy to create something out of acrylic as a DIY project, however, I'm not so sure it would past muster for insurance companies, or if the house were to be sold, a safety inspection, due to the relatively low melting point of acrylic (Plexiglass), and its highly flammable once started. Plus you need to use special cleaners on acrylic, not to mention special fabric so you don't scratch it.

When we moved into our house, the previous owner installed a flourescent light fixture over the stove top which was under the cabinets... 'cool we thought, until one day my wife decided she was going to clean the coils via the heat, so she cranked up the heat to as high as it would go, and I just happened to come in from outside to find the plastic cover totally melted and just about to melt on the stove!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Certainly it is easy to create something out of acrylic as a DIY project, however, I'm not so sure it would past muster for insurance companies, or if the house were to be sold, a safety inspection, due to the relatively low melting point of acrylic (Plexiglass), and its highly flammable once started. Plus you need to use special cleaners on acrylic, not to mention special fabric so you don't scratch it.

When we moved into our house, the previous owner installed a flourescent light fixture over the stove top which was under the cabinets... 'cool we thought, until one day my wife decided she was going to clean the coils via the heat, so she cranked up the heat to as high as it would go, and I just happened to come in from outside to find the plastic cover totally melted and just about to melt on the stove!
Hmm...thats odd. They use plexiglass in race cars all the time, then again those engine compartments are pretty fire safe.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
You might call any of the many glass companies in Houston, they can design one for you. Else order one that is already made from the Internet. Either way, expect to pay a bundle for heat tempered glass.
anybody that you can recommend?

How much would you guestimate? $500?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 AM

Default At minimum, yes..

I think you will find prices between $500-$1000US. The only problem is taking measurements, and getting something that matches your kitchen. I can't recommend anyone, or any store... unless you go to Barcelona!

My wife is from Spain, and we visit often, about every nine months on the average. So the novelty has wained for me, but I still love going... there is a bar on every corner... but back on topic... I often find myself killing time by going into hardware stores, and kitchen and bath stores. I always saw hoods with glass, rarely did I see just stainless steel. The prices were about $500-$600US, but they were very small. We have bigger ranges in the US, so I would think the price would also be higher based on that.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
You do know that the glass hood will get foggy with grease, just like all other hoods...except you will have to clean it almost every week vs every once and a while.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
You do know that the glass hood will get foggy with grease, just like all other hoods...except you will have to clean it almost every week vs every once and a while.
That's OK. It's not for display, it's for home use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston