Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

3rd Ward isn't even that bad. Me and my friend usually walk around 3rd ward every night with no problems. I wasn't aware UH had a crime problem, because as far as I knew it was just dealing more with petty crimes. TSU is even a safe campus.

If you think 3rd Ward is bad than you must wasn't around in the early 90s. 3rd Ward is pretty safe and most of the crimes are usually personal.

As far as not being able to make it outside of Texas due to getting a degree from UH; that's BS. If you can't become successful in life than you have no one to blame but yourself.

List of University of Houston people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I find this thread pretty interesting. I graduated from UofH back in 1986 and have only been back on campus once since. Sounds to me many things have not changed. Since it is a commuter school I can't see how it will ever be a tier one university. I received a great education but I don't see how they will ever get a tier one status.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:12 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
3rd Ward isn't even that bad. Me and my friend usually walk around 3rd ward every night with no problems. I wasn't aware UH had a crime problem, because as far as I knew it was just dealing more with petty crimes. TSU is even a safe campus.

If you think 3rd Ward is bad than you must wasn't around in the early 90s. 3rd Ward is pretty safe and most of the crimes are usually personal.

As far as not being able to make it outside of Texas due to getting a degree from UH; that's BS. If you can't become successful in life than you have no one to blame but yourself.

List of University of Houston people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, I wasn't. I thought you still had your diapers changed in the early 90's?

And that's not what he means, I think. Someone on this forum has told me the same. He went to UT Austin and then got into U of M. He told me there were only students there who also graduated from a top College. Basically, he was saying that the top grad schools do look where you went to College. That's what
EEstudent refers to.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post

And that's not what he means, I think. Someone on this forum has told me the same. He went to UT Austin and then got into U of M. He told me there were only students there who also graduated from a top College. Basically, he was saying that the top grad schools do look where you went to College. That's what
EEstudent refers to.
Looking at more statistics; however, I did frequent the 3rd ward area in the mid 90s and remember it.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:17 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
So please understand that when I ask for real examples I'm not trying to be snobby or a jerk, I just don't want to spend
Thousands moving to a new state for school and regret it. Honestly I only chose Taxes because you guys have some of the cheapest medical colleges in the country, but like I said earlier, if the quality isn't there I just spend more and find something better
Does this mean that you are planning to go to med school after getting your bachelor's degree? If so, you should be looking only at those 4-year universities with excellent pre-med programs. Wherever you go, work like hell to maintain top grades in all subjects, even those boring ones in the core curriculum. In your senior year you will need to take a prep course for the MCAT exam. A high score will let you apply to top-notch medical schools like UTMB and Baylor. These are in Houston, but I've never heard them referred to as being some of the cheapest! After graduation, residency and specialty training, most young MD's have large college loans to pay off.

Attending a university in Houston or Texas does not guarantee that you'll have special consideration for acceptance to medical schools here. Their students are culturally diverse and come from all over the U.S., plus many foreign countries.

Your best bet is to do some serious research about colleges and universities to determine which ones offer what you need. I don't recall your saying where you live, but there might be one in your home state that has a good pre-med program.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:38 AM

222 posts, read 720,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
1. Is U of H downtown a seperate college or just a off site campus?

2. How would you rank U of H downtown because I chose it based on it's low tuition, but I'd rather pay more and go to a quality college than go to a almost worthless cheap one. But from what I'm reading the U of H main campus is a 4th tier college anyway and you guys are right going from a 4th to a 1st tier isn't going to be easy I wish there president good luck
U of H Downtown is a separate college. It is an "open enrollment" school. Basically, it is a local community college. You only need to live within the community and have a GED or high school diploma to qualify. If I graduated from UH Downtown, I might forget to add the "Downtown" part to my resume so people would think I graduated from U of H.

Last edited by Felixmp; 09-21-2009 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
U of H Downtown is a separate college. It is an "open enrollment" school. Basically, it is a local community college. You only need to live within the community and have a GED or high school diploma to qualify. If I graduated from UH Downtown, I might forget to add the "Downtown" part to my resume so people would think I graduated from U of H.
And then when your employers find out the truth, they would never trust you again.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
And then when your employers find out the truth, they would never trust you again.
lol, I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Probably gonna let you go then.

U of H has a pre-med program that is approved by the UT Medical Branch. You can look up the details on the UT Medical Branch website.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post

EEstudent refers to.

Well that and if I wanted to move out of Houston with a UH degree, I'm sure someone hiring me in a different city would be a little hesitant since UH is not exactly on the national stage.

However, if I was to graduate from UT or Texas A&M then I would assume that employers from different parts of the country would not be second guessing themselves.

Almost all of the people I know that graduated from Houston have stayed in Houston to work, cant think of anyone who got their degree and moved to a different part of the country.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
UH puts a number of people to work in the Oil/Petrochemical industry. Lots of transfers for promotions so you tend to see a number of UH grads in different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston