Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 PM

325 posts, read 2,994,883 times

Advertisements

I've got a job in Chinatown (near Bellaire and Gessner) and was wondering how safe it is, at night especially. I see burglar bars everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
I've got a job in Chinatown (near Bellaire and Gessner) and was wondering how safe it is, at night especially. I see burglar bars everywhere!
It's located near or in Alief which is known for its crime.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Its more safe than what the local news stations give it credit for...that's about all I can say. Southwest Houston in general is known for higher crime than the rest of the city though, especially around the Alief & Sharpstown areas. Chinatown along Bellaire has pretty good police patrol though, after all, there is an HPD station located in Diho Plaza & off duty HPD security gaurds at some of the Asian restaurants & clubs.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Bellaire @ Gessner is not Alief...thats still Sharpstown.

Alief is a couple more miles west of there along Bellaire starting at about Kirkwood & extends on over to HWY. 6.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-26-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 12:14 AM

913 posts, read 4,343,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
Let's face it: nothing is 100% safe. Now, Bellaire and Gessner is an OK area, there're much worse places in the city. Your would be definitely OK during the day and most likely OK during the night. Unless you 1. hang out at the suspicious places 2. looking for trouble 3. hang out at dark areas, areas with Chapter 8, 9 housing, generally bad areas.

In all other cases you would be OK. Get straight to the car when finish your work after dusk, carry a pepper spray (or a gun) and you will be OK.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 AM

62 posts, read 165,753 times
My boyfriend is from Alief and he turned out just fine.

We went for a drive down there so i could see Alief....I am from the North and had not been south to many times.

Looked fine to me.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
That neighborhood actually has more crime than people believe. Asians are much less likely to report muggings, car break ins and other such crimes. The crooks know this. I don't think it would be wise to walk around on Bellaire at night. The neighborhood is emerging for sure, but is still rough.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:36 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It does not look like youre familiar with this area. Gessner and Bellaire is more mexican-town than a part of chinatown. There are rows of cheap apartments here with gang-like loitering everywhere. THIS IS the source of crimes that affect the towns in the area, not the other way around lol.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
That neighborhood actually has more crime than people believe. Asians are much less likely to report muggings, car break ins and other such crimes. The crooks know this. I don't think it would be wise to walk around on Bellaire at night. The neighborhood is emerging for sure, but is still rough.
That's a stereo-type. People just don't report incidents anymore after seeing it's all a waste of time during the first few times.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:54 AM

156 posts, read 370,076 times
You couldn't pay me enough to live or work anywhere in Alief, Chinatown, Sharpstown, etc etc.

I avoid driving through those areas any way I can. Ghetto ghetto GHETTO!

Of the couple of people I know that live/lived there, it sounds like hell. Yes, there is crime everywhere in Houston, but where I live (spring cypress/290) I don't see shady looking characters walking the streets at all hours of the night.

Most of the gangs and criminal operations of the city operate in the SW area, and they extend their operations from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston