Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,916 times

Advertisements

I have 2 kids. We'd like a big new house in Sugar Land in an area with good schools.

We like these three areas. In all three, you can get exemplary elementary and middle schools. The difference lies in the high school. While all three are recognized, Clements is widely regarded as the best, Austin the second best, and Kempner the third best. Newsweek's rankings second this.

Moderator cut: racism

First Colony with Colony Meadows or Commonwealth (elementary), Ft. Settlement (middle), and Clements seems to be the most sought after. And homes with those schools command a significant premium over even other First Colony homes (i.e. Settler's way elementary or First Colony middle).

First Colony with the good set of schools is definitely pricier than the New Territory set. While with Telfair, while the homes are new and pricey, it seems that you're betting that a new high school will be built.

I wouldn't be happy if my kids went to Kempner, esp. considering that Telfair is the same or more money than First Colony homes (but the Telfair homes are new and very pretty...).

It seems like if I want the safe choice (i.e. good fast resale), then First Colony it is. Then it's just a question of whether you want to pay the premium for a newer home.

Anything I'm missing?

Last edited by Chickrae; 10-13-2009 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: racisim

Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,500,660 times
My advice is buy where you want to buy. With the exception of Hightower, Willowridge and Bush all FBISD high schools are about the same as far as academic experience goes. Sure there are more kids in A.P. programs at Clements, but so what? Students are able to take the same A.P. programs at other schools such as Kempner. You also need to consider that no matter where you move to in Sugar Land you could be rezoned. FBISD is constantly growing and constantly changing their school attendance zones. Therefore, you could buy in Austin's zone only to be rezoned to Kempner later. Zones should change drastically the next few years as the new high school is coming. Willowridge and Marshall are 700 to 100 less than the other high schools, so it is likely many students will start being shuffled to these schools. Because of this, it seems as though a new school in Telfair is unlikely at this time.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM

344 posts, read 1,246,601 times
All 3 high schools are very good academically so really it would be better to focus on finding a neighborhood and house you are happy with. Also, I think New Territory is zoned to Austin (east of 99) & Travis (west of 99).

Old 09-29-2009, 12:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,780,327 times
^ Agree.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these neighborhoods. I'd concentrate on finding the right house for your needs now.
Also, don't discount the smaller, less-known subdivisions in the same areas. Orchard Lake Estates / Orchard Lakes (north of New Territory/Telfair) is very nice... we put an offer on a home in there last year, only to have it bought out from under us in cash by someone else before the seller could sign off on our offer! That was a bummer. It's zoned to Cornerstone Elem (Telfair) and Austin High.
Keep in mind in the most sought-after areas, this scenario could happen, even in this down market (it did to us). So you might want to narrow it down to at least two homes, and go from there...

Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,772,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I would think First Colony is your best choice for a nice big house that apparently your family of four would need.
Unless the OP really wants a nice NEW big house, in which case Telfair is the best option of the three.

Given the growth in Fort Bend County, I think it is a safe bet that Telfair will have its own high school within 5-6 years.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,916 times
We're moving to First Colony. I want Clements. It's the best high school and given the generally higher prices of homes in First Colony, it should stay that way.

While it's politically incorrect, it is interesting to note the correlation between higher black/hispanic percentage and the lower ranking in the Newsweek poll. Clements (11%), Austin (27%), Kempner (40%). Perhaps its due to those students being poorer (Kempner for instance draws from some pretty shady middle schools...).

Also, while also politically incorrect, Clements 11% is enough diversity for me. I would feel worried if the school had 40% like Kempner. I like the fact that Clements is mainly Asian and White. I think others do too---that's why HAR.com posts the statistics...

I think homes in First Colony will appreciate more than homes in New Territory b/c of the better schools and easier access. Telfair might be competition, but only when Kempner is out of the picture. ...

Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyone123 View Post
We're moving to First Colony. I want Clements. It's the best high school and given the generally higher prices of homes in First Colony, it should stay that way.

Moderator cut: racism

Also, while also politically incorrect, Clements 11% is enough diversity for me. I would feel worried if the school had 40% like Kempner. I like the fact that Clements is mainly Asian and White. I think others do too---that's why HAR.com posts the statistics...

I think homes in First Colony will appreciate more than homes in New Territory b/c of the better schools and easier access. Telfair might be competition, but only when Kempner is out of the picture. ...
Well that's fine and all but do not be surprised if you are zoned out of the high school you expected at some point. FBISD is constantly changing and growing. As someone who is more in the know than I care to admit I will tell you that the plan right now is to not build another high school for quite awhile after Sienna Plantation. Marshall and Willowridge are way under in enrollment. Everything is going to shift east. Furthermore, FBISD WANTS to diversify the schools more. Their goal is to have the schools become more like Kempner. Therefore, if white/Asian is what you want for your kids FBISD may not be for you in the first place. Just something to consider.

Last edited by Chickrae; 10-13-2009 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: took out racism post from quote

Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,780,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Marshall and Willowridge are way under in enrollment. Everything is going to shift east.
Isn't there a huge amount of open land east of Lake Olympia though? Once all that's developed, I suspect those two schools will fill up more.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Isn't there a huge amount of open land east of Lake Olympia though? Once all that's developed, I suspect those two schools will fill up more.
You are correct about that. Hopefully the schools on the east side can turn it around a bit before the boom. It'd be a shame to see those areas develop nicely only to have families send their kids to private. Then there's the boom itself. When will it happen? Hard to say in these times.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:05 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,794,549 times
Have you considered private school? If you are willing to pay the inflated prices of Telfair, why not go private?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston