Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Some people may not agree with me. but it changes nothing.
Seems like a majority disagrees with you. If you want to continue to have mass transit that exists outside of reality then it certainly doesn't change anything for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Katy Fwy was definitely something that needed to be done and I don't use it much myself. The rail has only done so much for the city; it didn't make the impact on Houston like the Katy Fwy did.
It's not really fair to compare a 20+ mile freeway reconstruction/upgrade to a 7.5 mile light rail. Not sure what the point of even doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 02:43 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
Pesky little ankle biters. worse than skeeters. I have skin like Iron, and am secure in my beliefs. Numbers don't make for "right" only being right does. Even if I'm the only one with enough snap to see it. I have 20/20 vision, and some of you guys need bifocals. I'd love to see yer plans for mass transit. Probably include Mules.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Let's be honest here: The problem with this city is the lack of ability by planners and by some residents to have foresight and be appreciative of future impact, rather than current impact. A problem you demonstrate quite well I might add.
My whole beef was how people were acting as if the current rail line now in Houston is extensive and many people use it. If anything, I'm thinking about the future impact when the city starts experiencing all types of problems with this type of system as more people move here. Traffic will only get worse and placing rail in the middle of the street is the worst thing.

It works in Boston because it s a very urban and walkable; as of now, Houston is nowhere near developing that type of atmosphere and enviroment. Just saving up for a more efficent type of system will save the city money when they have to go back and rebuild it all over again.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Seems like a majority disagrees with you. If you want to continue to have mass transit that exists outside of reality then it certainly doesn't change anything for you.

If you think the few of us complaining about what we have now is bad; you should listen to the ones who aren't on city data. Our rail line and the future plans are a joke and people from all over comment on how pathetic it is.

It's not really fair to compare a 20+ mile freeway reconstruction/upgrade to a 7.5 mile light rail. Not sure what the point of even doing so.
Your right.
^^^^

Old 11-22-2009, 02:48 PM

I have broad shoulders and am use to carrying dead weight on them. Toot-toot!!

Old 11-22-2009, 03:01 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Now, this thread smells like Kindergarten.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:03 PM

Must be all the ankle biters. I been trying to do something about that.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:04 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,834 times
So have people forgotten that their adding 30 miles of light rail with four different lines connecting the current line to Rice, Univ of Houston, Texas Southern Univ., Univ. of St. Thomas, uptown, the Galleria, 3rd Ward, and an expansion to north Houston and west Houston? The next step after this seems to be further expansion of LT lines inside the 610 Loop and some type of heavy rail connecting the suburbs to the Loop. The city had never planned just to build one line and stop. It would not have worked to build a massively extensive rail system right off the bat because for one, it would have bankrupt the city to build that much rail all at the same time. Two, Houston is a very car based city so they will have to gradually ease into trying get a large part of the population to travel by rail.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I'd love to see yer plans for mass transit. Probably include Mules.
Got it in one. They're pulling chariots. Chariots of fire. Dum-da-da-da-duhhhhhhh-duhhhhhhhh..... (The "duhhhh" rendering is quite apropos here, actually.)

So what if I start making assertions that the moon is made of aged Gouda and everyone refutes me? Am I right because I believe I'm right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780
My whole beef was how people were acting as if the current rail line now in Houston is extensive and many people use it.
Like who? I see people seeing it as the beginning of something, and I see people saying they use it. I guess all three of the people who use it happen to have posted in this thread?

Quote:
If anything, I'm thinking about the future impact when the city starts experiencing all types of problems with this type of system as more people move here. Traffic will only get worse and placing rail in the middle of the street is the worst thing.
So this goes back to "why does it work in the other cities that have it?"

Quote:
It works in Boston because it s a very urban and walkable; as of now, Houston is nowhere near developing that type of atmosphere and enviroment. Just saving up for a more efficent type of system will save the city money when they have to go back and rebuild it all over again.
Oh, there we go. Well, without anything other than roads and freeways, there's nothing to steer that sort of development at all. And if we keep doing it the way we've been doing, those people will move in, we'll turn into LA and it'll take 45 minutes to get a couple miles down the road at 9pm. If that day comes I am so outta here. If that's what I want to do I'll go move to LA.

How many times have the freeways been rebuilt? How many people lived on the far fringes of the metro area before them? They came after the infrastructure was put into place. This won't be any different. If, say 30-40 years from now we are moving to elevated or subway then this was a necessary step. Crawl -> walk -> run.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:23 PM

We need answers at this point, not just more questions. what is your plan, if you have one.--Just more of the same is a no go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston