Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 53,954 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Houston in the fall to work at the UT Health Science Center (Southern campus by Reliant Park). I would like to live close to work to avoid the traffic, but I have heard that crime is high in this area. Can anyone recommend a safe condominium or townhouse complex nearby? I have seen rentals listed in Riverwalk, One Montreal Place, Cambridge Court, Richmond Manor, Fountainbleau, Braeswood Condos and Briar Green Condos. The prices seem reasonable and the pictures online look good. Any information on these neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 02:41 PM

11 posts, read 94,737 times
Default About Briar Green

You mentioned that one of the locations you were looking into is Briar Green Condos on N. Stadium Dr. As a current resident here I can tell you the advantages and disadvantages of living here. This is just my personal advice so it might be different for you than it is for me or anyone else living here.

The advantages:
If you work nearby then you can just walk or take the metrorail. It saves a lot on gas. There are a few homeless people who might follow you or ask you for money, but for the most part they leave you alone. There is a nice jogging trail and park and ride next door that you can use without any personal safety threat. The condos recently got a make over on the outside so superficially that's pleasing. As far as the condos themselves you have to pick and choose which ones have been upgraded and which have not. if you are lucky, you will get one that has new appliances and working electrical outlets. Nice sq footage and friendly neighbors. Very quiet.

The Disadvantages:
Since being taken over by the new board and the self proclaimed manager things have gone downhill so you will find a lot of empty units and many people attempting to sell or rent. The new self proclaimed manager (Primo) cuts administrative costs by cutting off access to hot water. If you are lucky you will have hot water to cook, shower, do dishes, etc 4 out of 7 days of the week. If you complain, you are in trouble. He also does not repair the broken gates in a timely so vandalism is happening more and more frequently compared to before.
Also, the new self proclaimed manager does not report the crime that happens in the complex so live here at your own risk. The new self proclaimed manager is also advising all renters to raise the rent to be competitive with the surrounding area. You might have to pay for the "luxury" living even though you are not getting the amenities.
Finally, if you do anything to damage the asthetics of the property then prepared to get sued by the new self proclaimed manager.

Living in the med center is not that bad. Just pick a decent place and you should be ok. The crime in the med center isn't as bad as it is over in the SW or galleria. Good luck to you.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 42,336 times
Did you manage to find a Good Condo in the Texas Med center area?
I am also planning to buy one but not sure which one to buy?

Can anyone please advise?

Nimesh

Old 08-10-2007, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 28,323 times
Default New Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasponge View Post
You mentioned that one of the locations you were looking into is Briar Green Condos on N. Stadium Dr. As a current resident here I can tell you the advantages and disadvantages of living here. This is just my personal advice so it might be different for you than it is for me or anyone else living here.

The advantages:
If you work nearby then you can just walk or take the metrorail. It saves a lot on gas. There are a few homeless people who might follow you or ask you for money, but for the most part they leave you alone. There is a nice jogging trail and park and ride next door that you can use without any personal safety threat. The condos recently got a make over on the outside so superficially that's pleasing. As far as the condos themselves you have to pick and choose which ones have been upgraded and which have not. if you are lucky, you will get one that has new appliances and working electrical outlets. Nice sq footage and friendly neighbors. Very quiet.

The Disadvantages:
Since being taken over by the new board and the self proclaimed manager things have gone downhill so you will find a lot of empty units and many people attempting to sell or rent. The new self proclaimed manager (Primo) cuts administrative costs by cutting off access to hot water. If you are lucky you will have hot water to cook, shower, do dishes, etc 4 out of 7 days of the week. If you complain, you are in trouble. He also does not repair the broken gates in a timely so vandalism is happening more and more frequently compared to before.
Also, the new self proclaimed manager does not report the crime that happens in the complex so live here at your own risk. The new self proclaimed manager is also advising all renters to raise the rent to be competitive with the surrounding area. You might have to pay for the "luxury" living even though you are not getting the amenities.
Finally, if you do anything to damage the asthetics of the property then prepared to get sued by the new self proclaimed manager.

Living in the med center is not that bad. Just pick a decent place and you should be ok. The crime in the med center isn't as bad as it is over in the SW or galleria. Good luck to you.

Our daughter has recently moved to the Briar Green Condos, and her only complaint thus far is the lack of hot water as you mentioned above. You stated that if one complains about the lack of hot water "you are in trouble". Can you be more specific.

Thank you.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 AM

257 posts, read 986,719 times
Default condos

As someone who owns alot of rental property this crap is the main reason that I dont own condos !Have you heard of a blanket party?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 AM

24 posts, read 164,689 times
Wow, what a mess. Anyone on here live in Holly Hall townhomes that can give me this kind of information on them? Thanks!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkon View Post
Wow, what a mess. Anyone on here live in Holly Hall townhomes that can give me this kind of information on them? Thanks!

Advance search my posts regarding that area.

It looks nice but in two words, "not recommended."

Old 04-10-2008, 05:26 AM

tstone thanks for the reply. I looked up where you were and you were located very close to reliant. I was told that is not a good area. The town homes called Holly Hall Townhomes are located past Almeda towards 288 actually right off it. Here is an mls number on a unit at Har. 8700003 area 17 soutwest. How far is it really from the bad area of reliant? I am interested in more information good or bad. I have heard that the area is getting better. I have been told that they are tearing down low income apartments to put up new condo's at a rapid rate. Any-one who has current information on the area would be great.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:33 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Those apts by Reliant were actually nice and slightly pricey. Almost everything in that area look pretty nice and costs a pretty penny.

If you're close to 288/Holly Hall, you're literally a short stroll away from South Park, which is a large & notoriously rough neighborhood. Going east of 288 where Holly Hall turns into Mainer St is instantly a different world. I've found a lot of people who live around Holly Hall shut themselves in and are completely unaware of their surroundings.

But IMO, this is the main problem with Holly Hall -- it's too easy for the thugs to simply cross, cause trouble, and then fly down Knight/Cambridge/Almeda to 610, or back down Holly Hall to 288.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:33 PM

There sure is a lot of people looking at this thread but not much in the way of commments. To bad no one else is familar with the area. Thanks tstone for your comments. Appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston