Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 PM

87 posts, read 384,513 times

Advertisements

With a two story home in NJ, you almost never find the master bedroom downstairs in a family home, yet every home we looked at in The Woodlands and Katy had the master down. Does that mean if we find a home with the master up we will have a harder time selling it? In NJ if you have the master downstairs or you don't have a basement, you would definitely have a hard time selling your home. I am wondering if certain things like the master up make it much harder to resell your home in the Woodlands?

I don't get it - if you have small children or a baby, they are always okay sleeping upstairs alone while mom and dad sleep downstairs away from everyone? We prefer the master up so when the kids wake up in the morning and go downstairs to eat breakfast and watch TV, someone can sleep late without being disturbed. If you like the master up and you have small children, please tell me why you like it that way. I'm also not used to having a home without the recreation/game room in the basement so perhaps this has something to do with it.

Last edited by njmomto2; 06-09-2008 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 07:50 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,288 times
Generally yes, a lot of people prefer the master down so they have a little separation from the kids once they get a little older.

I had a house in Ponderosa Forest once and all the bedrooms were up, I didn't want the bedroom down. When I went to sell it, I did not have a problem, however, there did seem to be a bit of a prejudice against all the bedrooms up with some of the Realtors that showed it.

Ones with the master down do have an edge in resale I think.

I would use the concept to try to bargain down the price anyway!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:51 PM

759 posts, read 3,185,483 times
It is something that has come by over the last few decades. I guess the idea being the Parents have the downstairs while the kids have the upstairs. another reason is that as the population ages, older people do not like walking up the stairs. My mom has bad knees and dreads going up the stairs. That why they now have a one story now. I do believe it is harder to sell a home in Houston where there is not a bedroom downstairs. In my home that I am building, I actually have 2 bedrooms downstairs...Master and Guest suite. that way when Parents/Inlaws/Old people/Guests visit, they can be on the first floor.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:52 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,741,755 times
I almost never see a Master bedroom up here in TX. Personally I prefer to have the master on the main floor where it is convenient to everything rather than having to go up and down the stairs all the time. We have a small child but we have an additional bedroom down for him then guests, plus media room plus game room are up.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
McMansions, in town ,mostly have all the bedrooms upstairs. The lots are not big enough to have master down.
Never buy a exburb house with the master up, it will never sell. They really want to be away from the kids.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 PM

136 posts, read 894,315 times
When we first moved to TX our son was 9 and I didn't really like that he was upstairs alone. I also felt somewhat vulnerable being on the first floor at night. I guess I was worried about break ins but that is irrational - if they get in it doesn't matter what floor you are on.

But I grew to really like it and wish I had it again. Very rare in Calgary to have main floor masters.

As far as resale - we had a contemporary house that people thought would be hard to sell but when there are hardly any homes in a category that there will always be some buyers for you have a gem. Our house sold very quickly. I think it may be the same with master ups. There aren't very many and so if someone wants one and you have one...

Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 PM

87 posts, read 384,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
McMansions, in town ,mostly have all the bedrooms upstairs. The lots are not big enough to have master down.
Never buy a exburb house with the master up, it will never sell. They really want to be away from the kids.
I was hoping I could find a home or have one built that has 2 masters - one up and one down. The one that is down we would use as a guest suite and the one up for us. I assume that would still sell right? I'm so surprised that people want to be so far away from the kids. I understand that active adult communities have the master down or that older people like 1 story homes, but its hard to believe that most people with small children prefer bedrooms downstairs?

Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM

799 posts, read 3,695,202 times
Some older homes have 2 masters, one up and one down. When the kids are teens it is great to have them upstairs with their own gameroom and space for their friends and a little privacy for parents in a downstairs master. Downstairs masters are more popular here but there are alot of people with small children who prefer to be upstairs. There are alot of northerners who prefer upstairs masters. You have buyers for either floorplan, just depends on the family looking at your home. 2 masters is perfect for everyone and its too bad they don't build alot of them anymore.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 PM

759 posts, read 3,185,483 times
I have seen several builders that offer 2 Master options. Perry, Trendmaker, Village Builders, David Weekly, and of course all the custom builders. I know I have seen 2 homes in Telfair with a large upstairs masters and a downstairs masters.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:19 PM

960 posts, read 2,751,272 times
This is another reason why I HATE the suburban developers who take up half of your first level floor plan just for a master bedroom (and front garage) which would be perfect for entertaining guest if you are Huge Hefner. So, when I go to in-laws or friends suburb homes (I even had a friend who hosted a warm summer party in his front garage and demanded that we take off our shoes just for bathroom breaks), I feel detached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston