Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 PM

28 posts, read 44,035 times

Advertisements

I posted another thread about moving to Houston from Cincinnati, and found the info here helpful. Cincinnati and Chicago have some similarities except if you took Chicago, sucked out every last ounce of culture including its thriving music scenes and quality restaurants and bars, leaving a graying hulk of skyscrapers and a complete lack of night life, then you would have Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem148 View Post
I posted another thread about moving to Houston from Cincinnati, and found the info here helpful. Cincinnati and Chicago have some similarities except if you took Chicago, sucked out every last ounce of culture including its thriving music scenes and quality restaurants and bars, leaving a graying hulk of skyscrapers and a complete lack of night life, then you would have Cincinnati.
That can't be true, can it? I've actually heard that Cincinnati has a good theater/music scene...

Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 PM

101 posts, read 307,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I respect your opinion, but why is southern culture a negative?
I didn't mean to say that Southern culture is negative (sorry if it came across that way). It is very different from the Chicago or Midwestern culture. Folks are definitely more laid back here, which is usually a nice feeling. But often times that laid back nature permeates the professional/work ethic. If you are used to a faster paced work ethic, Houston can seem delayed or slow.

E.g. when we bought property in the Midwest (twice) both times we made an offer, received a counter-offer, and made a final offer within hours. After the inspection, the amendment to the contract was also negotiated within hours. To do the same took days here in Houston. Also, in my profession, things get done much slower than I was used to in the Midwest.

But people often say that the pace in other bigger cities is too fast. So they move to Texas.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:44 PM

437 posts, read 1,300,660 times
Chicago-No Palm Trees
Houston-PALM TREES
Pretty much sums it all up..
HORRIBLE Winter this year...dropped to 20ºF(D'town)
,25ºF(Galveston),17ºF(Bush INTL.".....beat up the palms..

Old 04-15-2010, 02:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
I didn't mean to say that Southern culture is negative (sorry if it came across that way). It is very different from the Chicago or Midwestern culture. Folks are definitely more laid back here, which is usually a nice feeling. But often times that laid back nature permeates the professional/work ethic. If you are used to a faster paced work ethic, Houston can seem delayed or slow.

E.g. when we bought property in the Midwest (twice) both times we made an offer, received a counter-offer, and made a final offer within hours. After the inspection, the amendment to the contract was also negotiated within hours. To do the same took days here in Houston. Also, in my profession, things get done much slower than I was used to in the Midwest.

But people often say that the pace in other bigger cities is too fast. So they move to Texas.
I agree to a certain extent. Overall, I think both the Midwest and south offer a laid-back slower pace than the West and East Coast. Chicago just happens to be a huge city located in the Midwest; which leads to it have a faster pace than other midwestern cities.

I've often heard Houston is the southern counterpart of Chicago. My dad hates huge cities including Houston, but he loves Chicago. He often says that if he had to move to a large city; Chicago would be the only choice. I've never been though.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:46 PM

433 posts, read 701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post

Exactly. My properties never closed on time. I had to keep delaying and changing my flight back, which annoyed the heck out of me. Also costing me more money. Come to think of it, I've never been around a transaction that closed on time here.

The attitude is, " Don't worry, it'll close, what's the hurry? If you have to pony up a little money to change plans, do what you gotta do". I find that extremely rude and unprofessional. Quit wasting my time!

When I sold my house back in LA, it closed the same day, first thing in the morning. My money was wired even before I went to brunch. The flip side is, I was able to snag some nice deals here. You can't sit on a deal over there.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
My dad hates huge cities including Houston, but he loves Chicago. He often says that if he had to move to a large city; Chicago would be the only choice. I've never been though.
Hmmmmm. A little odd!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Hmmmmm. A little odd!
I think he should take a visit to Chicago, it's amazing this time of the year!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
It surely is!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM

28 posts, read 44,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
That can't be true, can it? I've actually heard that Cincinnati has a good theater/music scene...

If you like live music, there is not much other than local stuff-not very innovative-think cover bands. Don't plan on seeing any national or international acts except Insane Clown Posse for the millionth time at Bogarts or some 500 dollar lawn seat stadium show in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston