Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 AM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times

Advertisements

I was stopped over the weekend by a Police Officer who claims I was speeding. Rather than argue I accepted the paperwork with good grace and don't intend to go to court and state my case as I believe it's pointless.

Therefore I intend to plead guilty (despite my GPS and speedo saying I was doing the limit at the time) and wondered if anyone knows the procedure regarding defensive driver courses?

If I elect to take one does it reduce or nullify the fine? I was supposed to have been 15mph over the 40mph limit so the fine is $245. Or do I pay the full $245 and $110 for the course?

Before I waste time asking these questions at court I thought I'd see what city data had to say.

What I won't be doing here is trying to worm out of the penalties, they say I was speeding so I guess I'll just have to accept it (despite the fact I know I wasn't).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,434 times
You contact the court assigned by the ticket and request to resolve it by taking the defensive driving course. There are several online companies that provide the couse. You pay for the 6 hour class and complete it online. At conclusion, you'll receive a certificate that you present to the court and they close the issue. That's how it worked when I did it several years ago.

Just be forewarned, it will be the most exciting and dynamic 6 hours you'll spend for some time to come!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
No, you don't pay the fine.

I did it a couple years ago. You take the course online then you go to the local magistrate and present your course certificate and pay another 'fee' and that takes care of it. As I remember, I only ended up saving about $50 after the course and the hassle of going down to the magistrate's office to file the paperwork. But then you don't get a hit on your license. Seemed sort of like a scam to keep these online courses in business.

What I don't remember is whether I had to file any paperwork BEFORE taking the course. I think I just did it.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Yes, and you can't do too much multi-tasking while taking the course because they are always shooting pop-up box questions at you that must be answered within x-seconds or the course times out and you get to start all over.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 AM

488 posts, read 1,383,520 times
On the back of your ticket it should say something about 'contacting the court in 10 days to find out your fine'. You have to wait until the ticket is in their system. Then I had to go to the court to pay their fees ($136) and get their paperwork which allowed me to take the defensive driving course rather than go to court and pay the fine. Then I had 90 days to complete the defensive driving course ($25 online) and submit the paperwork including my drivers record ($12) to the court and that was it. I used comedydriving.com and did it in chunks over a week or so.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
You contact the court assigned by the ticket and request to resolve it by taking the defensive driving course. There are several online companies that provide the couse. You pay for the 6 hour class and complete it online. At conclusion, you'll receive a certificate that you present to the court and they close the issue. That's how it worked when I did it several years ago.

Just be forewarned, it will be the most exciting and dynamic 6 hours you'll spend for some time to come!
True lol. I'd suggest not doing online because it's BORING. I just did my whole 6 hours in one day.

I did Defensive Driving at Golden Corral (FOOD!). The majority of the time our instructor talked about her personal life, her kids, and how she shot her first deer.. You also get like 3 breaks (I think) for eating, bathroom breaks or just to smoke. It wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be, but it wasn't fun either.

I don't know how many times the though of just walking out and paying the damn ticket crossed my mind LOL

Old 03-01-2010, 12:56 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Isn't there also a deferred disposition option where you pay the fine and are on "probation" for 90 days? Then as long as you don't get another ticket for 90 days, the ticket is wiped from your record. I think that's how it works... seems like it'd be about the same cost as doing the defensive driving, but you don't have to spend 6 hours of your time.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:26 PM

443 posts, read 1,793,183 times
You have to request approval in writing to take the course. Then you pay court costs about $110. Then pay $25 for the online course and another $10 to have a certain driving record sent to you. Then you need to get it notarized and you send it in to the address specified. You don't pay the ticket but then again you still end up paying almost $150. I never had to go anywhere, I just mailed everything in.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Oh oh Grun.... get a radar detector!! I paid 100 in "court cost" and 25 ( I believe) for def. driving.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Oh oh Grun.... get a radar detector!! I paid 100 in "court cost" and 25 ( I believe) for def. driving.
Problem is I don't see how a radar detector would have aided my case as I wasn't actually breaking the speed limit.

I just think the officer in question decided to ticket me as I probably presented myself in a condescending manner. I'd rather take the fine than bend over and act like the ***** of some minimum wage law schlub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston