Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM

28 posts, read 80,408 times

Advertisements

Forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean? Are the houses that are near a house that is on a fault line have lower property values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
I have no idea, but you're more likely to get struck by lighting 100 times & win the Texas lotto than you are to experience a major earthquake in Houston & all of Texas for that matter.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uagreen View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean? Are the houses that are near a house that is on a fault line have lower property values?

In my area houses on faults are 200k cheaper on average. Thus, lower taxes. Don't buy one, they take ages & ages to sell.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
The biggest issue is the house's foundation. Houses on a fault line tend to have problems. Although there are over 400 fault lines in Houston, most are very small. There are a few subdivisions that are built over the larger ones. It's common to have foundation problems there. Even, then, it's not the end of the world. Foundation companies repair the problems and give transferable warranties on the work they do - just pick a long-standing reputable company.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
In my area houses on faults are 200k cheaper on average. Thus, lower taxes. Don't buy one, they take ages & ages to sell.
That part is true - but it's like buying a house on a busy street - I wouldn't do it but there are people who do. They buy cheaper now - and sell cheaper later.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,992 times
It means that sometimes its YOUR fault and sometimes it's not!

BAHAHA. Sorry, I'm a moron and I really couldn't help myself when I read the thread's title. I'm in my 20s and I don't own a home so I could even tell you.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM

20 posts, read 70,679 times
A fault line is where two plates of earth meet. Most times they are moving in different directions, one up and one down. This causes cracks in foundations and uneven sidewalks/driveways. The cracks cause the doors to close on their own and walls to become uneven. It really depends on how much the fault moves. We ALMOST bought a home on the long point fault line. It was in the Memorial Schools and was difficult to pass up b/c of the price. We talked to many people, including some professors at UH who has studied the Long Point fault for over 40 years. He told us not to buy it b/c you will have alot of problems down the road. That particular fault line was moving at a pretty fast rate compared to others. I would stay away if you can...or unless you have the money to repair the foundation constantly...

Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 PM

39 posts, read 86,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob142 View Post
A fault line is where two plates of earth meet.
No it is not. That is the definition of a plate boundary. A fault is a fracture in the earth's crust. Some faults occur along plate boundaries but all faults are not plate boundaries.

There can be negligible or significant movement along a fault.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,066 times
Houston's faults are a totally different kettle of fish than a tectonic fault zone between two large crustal plates - like the San Andreas and related faults where California is being torn apart as the Pacific plate slides past the North American plate.

Houston faults are shallow, soft-sediment displacements related to the dewatering and subsequent compaction of the soft water-logged Gulf Coast clays. One zone has more sand and less clay than another or maybe two different clay compositions. One zone compacts two feet and the adjoining zone only compacts only one foot so a small fault forms with a one foot scarp. It's that simple. No tectonic plates, no earthquakes, just a slow forming scarp that can none-the-less do a real number on a garage floor or concrete slab and maybe causing cracks in the brick walls above.

Not a huge problem because really large ones are not that common (but as somebody said there have been 400 mostly small ones mapped) but it's worth checking out the HGS (Houston Geological Society) map of Houston surface fault traces before building a new house just to be safe. You can look for them on roads too and try to trace the scarps into the lot.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM

129 posts, read 382,640 times
We looked at two homes on or near fault lines in Wilchester (West Memorial) a few years ago. Both seemed to have recurring foundation problems and were priced to move for obvious reasons. I agree, it is like buying on a busy street... but it is a little harder to notice the fault line

I was concerned with potential appreciation given the fault line. New construction will continue in that area, and I’m not knowledgeable enough to know if this would scare builders and buyers away. It certainly impacted our decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: