Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:49 PM

25 posts, read 84,672 times

Advertisements

Okay, so thinking about building a home with Westin in WLN. Also considering Meritage and Chesmar, but Chesmar can only build right now in a section we are weary of (with Onyx homes in the back side by 1463). No so sure what I think about those Onyx homes...so its mainly down to Westin and Meritage. I have to see what lot options Meritage has.

Anyway, anyone with Westin experience? We are concerned about them not being Energy Star certified. Can anyone share what their bills have been like all through the year (not just winter)? Also, any experiences with warranty work (easy to get resolved, etc)? Customer service throughout the building process (and even afterward)?

Thanks for any help! Just a bit weary to jump right into it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 PM

454 posts, read 1,586,212 times
We have a Westin home in WLN and have been very happy with the house layout, builder, warranty, etc....our builder has been great to deal with after we closed. And currently, I think if you go Westin you will get either Jed (my builder) or Andrew (built my friends house in this area) and both have proven to be excellent builders. Energy Star is just a stamp of approval that you have to pay for to have on your house. It's not a reflection on build quality or material finish as much as it is an agreement by Westin to pay Energy Star x amount of dollars to take their test, pass, and then use their name. If you look at the insulation, roof, SEER, etc....build quality between Meritage and Westin then you can see a comparison between a builder who is Energy Star and Westin, who is not.

Our electric bills have cost between $100 (current and winter) and we spent up around $250/mo during last summer. Our house is over 3700 sq/ft and has lots of open air and windows throughout the house. We have a Castlebrook (same as the model) if that helps. We did do the tech-shield which I think everyone is doing...I have yet to see a build w/o TS installed.

We chose our section because it was strictly Meritage and Westin that was building in these sections and I wanted to make sure that our house was situated near houses of similar size and price. There is nothing wrong per say with the other builders, but I didn't want a $300k house across the street from a $100k house because it simply would hurt my value overall. I believe Westin now owns all the lots in the front sections because Meritage is not selling as many homes or is not pushing these sections. But lots that used to be Meritage, now all have Westin available signs on the lot.

If you have any questions about Westin or this area, don't hesitate to send me a PM and we can discuss more in detail. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 PM

25 posts, read 84,672 times
Thanks so much! : ) That helps a lot! I may take you up on the offer to PM you if I would like to discuss further! : )

Old 07-24-2011, 10:47 PM

12 posts, read 52,036 times
Default Westin Home installs circuit breaker outside the house

Have any one notice that Westin Home installs circuit breaker outside?
This worries me that thief can turn off power supply before they enter the home.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,586,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp1971 View Post
Have any one notice that Westin Home installs circuit breaker outside?
This worries me that thief can turn off power supply before they enter the home.
Yes I asked about that, since I saw a lot of builders doing them inside the garage. However they said they leave it outside in-case it needs to have maintenance done. Even if you request it, they dont relocate the breakers. However I would just have it fenced, so it's part of your backyard.

To the OP, I am building a Barcelona out in Northcrest Village. Also not stamped with the Energy Star seal, but all the requirements of a ES rated home are part of Westin, plus a bit more. If you go out to Discovery @ Spring Trails, where the homes are EFL Certified, you can see the only difference is the Solar Panels, Vinly Windows, CFL bulbs i think, and higher Insulation rating. We upgraded our insulation package, plan to do CFL lighting all around and get efficient appliances.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:37 PM

6 posts, read 41,606 times
Hi! Funny enough I stumbled on this post and I feel like I wrote it lol. Boy isn't building a house exciting yet crazy because you have sooooo many choices?!
Here's my problem....
I could build a Westin Sedona in a neighborhood I think is okay or I could build a Meritage Longhorn in a neighborhood I love. The Westin has a wow factor and the Meritage is just simply huge. My question are:
Which is a better builder?
Anyone have any thing to comment on their home (good or bad)?
Electric bills?
Energy saving?
Would you have your second fav home in a place you love or your fav home in an okay subdivision?

Any insight is greatly appreciated! I feel like I've been racking my brain like crazy lol
(:

Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM

51 posts, read 237,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML1919 View Post
Hi! Funny enough I stumbled on this post and I feel like I wrote it lol. Boy isn't building a house exciting yet crazy because you have sooooo many choices?!
Here's my problem....
I could build a Westin Sedona in a neighborhood I think is okay or I could build a Meritage Longhorn in a neighborhood I love. The Westin has a wow factor and the Meritage is just simply huge. My question are:
Which is a better builder?
Anyone have any thing to comment on their home (good or bad)?
Electric bills?
Energy saving?
Would you have your second fav home in a place you love or your fav home in an okay subdivision?

Any insight is greatly appreciated! I feel like I've been racking my brain like crazy lol
(:
In real estate, it's all about location, location, location. We loved Westin homes, we thought their design was the best out of all builders in our price range. But opted to go with another builder bc they built in the neighborhood we liked best.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilagri View Post
In real estate, it's all about location, location, location. We loved Westin homes, we thought their design was the best out of all builders in our price range. But opted to go with another builder bc they built in the neighborhood we liked best.
I'll echo gilatri's comments here. We almost dropped Westin from our shopping list, despite their plans being the best we can find for our dollar, due to their locations. We weren't completely happy with the WLN and WLS communities, due to personal preference. We almost settled for Pine Mills Ranch to get a Westin, because it seemed like a better investment. It wasn't until we stumbled onto Cardiff Ranch by accident when driving to Katy Mills Mall. It's a small pocket community, with amazing technology packages, and green initiatives. We like the location the most, and the fact that the lowest priced home in the community starts in the 230's. We almost settled for a Beazer and a Perry before finding Cardiff....our priority in buying a home is investment and resale, and Cardiff fit the bill for us. Another great feature is that it's nestled at the tip of Cinco Ranch's most expensive home development areas and new school developments, across the way from Cross Creek Ranch, and neighboring to Firethorne's new expansion (they have been scraping the land and marking lots in the past weeks)...lots of possibility for a healthy dose of asset appreciation.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:36 PM

12 posts, read 52,036 times
Have any noticed Westin Home install 15 amp circuits for garage & outside?
I moved in recently and started using my mitter saw. My garage breaker kept poping. The electrican checked and tell me that the garage only have 15 amp. (this might not even able to run start an air compressor). He told that 15 amp is only good for light and some low amp garden tools.

I asked the builder (Jed), he told me Westin only install 15 amp circuit in the garage unless there is an upgrade. I asked again whether all the homes (no circuit upgrade) in the WLN would have all 15 amp circuit, he could not give me a straight answer.
I asked if I checked my neighbor homes and it turn out to have 20 amp, then there is installation error in my home. He said this only apply to your home???? and my home is one of the most expensive in the WLN (26306 Planters Heath)
I am really pissed up npw and prepare the case all the way to corporate if they are not able to give me the straight answer.

Does anyone have the same issue as mine?

Loan Pham

Old 11-10-2011, 04:05 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Why on earth would they put the panel on the outside? That is crazy! Wont it be more vulnerable in Hurricanes...and fences dont keep out thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston