Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM

102 posts, read 185,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
No, no, and no. Why is this even a question???
Why is WHAT even a question? That we would like to see our governments (federal, state and local) enforce our immigration laws? It's a question because you don't get to disregard the laws you don't like. And before someone says it, traffic laws and federal immigration laws are not even the same things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:32 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Of them, only the federal government has the actual jurisdiction to enforce immigration laws. The state and local governments cannot interfere with that process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmedic View Post
Why is WHAT even a question? That we would like to see our governments (federal, state and local) enforce our immigration laws? It's a question because you don't get to disregard the laws you don't like. And before someone says it, traffic laws and federal immigration laws are not even the same things.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:31 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby View Post
Whites are already a minority in S. California, and it is projected that 2020 a minority in the whole of CA.

We lived in Oceanside CA. during the years 1982 to 2007 we saw the city change from a white, mostly military retiree town, to a predominately Mexican speaking community, with 3-4 families crowded into small rentals, clunker cars parked in the driveways and streets. The only ones who spoke English were the children who were born here!

You will find groups of Mexicans hanging out on the street corners hoping to be offered jobs. Mexicans camping out in the underpasses, or on your property, Migrant camps spring up everywhere breeding their own corruption! The adjacent cities of Vista and Escondido are even worse.

Oceanside has twenty nine registered gangs, and the city has their own full time, gang, police detail

Yes there are illegals with money, who buy in upscale neighborhoods and set up their meth labs. There aee also the gate, border patrol agents who are bribed to pass certain cars through the checkpoints!

There are pregnant mexicans who came over for a 'visit' and went into labor delivering their baby in a US hospital (expenses paid by the taxpayer) and immediately qualified for state support and welfare services.

The elementary schools provided dual language classes, which was eventually abandoned by the city of Oceanside AFTER FIFTEEN YEARS, when studies showed that there was no improvement in English language skills. Why, you may ask? Well illegals stay in their own little communities, there is no incentive for them to learn the language of the country they so desperately want to live in.

Many do not try to assimilate!

Even our government caters to them, everything is now printed in Spanish and bilingual is preferred for many jobs!

An example:The Mexican woman up the street from us, lived in a section 8 house, along with her four children, for which she received WIC and welfare payments/food stamps. The city paid tuition for her to attend the local community college in order to better herself. Her boyfriend moved in with her, he was the babysitter (at the taxpayers expense). Six months later she gave birth to her fifth child! (Taxpayers to the rescue again).

The rights and benefits earned and paid for by Americans, native born and naturalized are a huge magnet to the citizens of Mexico and other countries that have corrupt governments, wars, poverty etc.

We are all for compassion (and perhaps for Democrats, more voters) but we need to face the fact that our borders are deluged with illegals that we the taxpayer cannot support in the manner that we have.

Our politicians have put forward various plans they would like to make law,to help them gain legal status. Which would require illegals to return to their own countries and apply like every other, law abiding immigrant has and does!

When you defend/encourage illegal immigration you are giving away another American's entitlements.
Good Lord, and people wonder why educated dark skinned Mexican-American women such as my wife are afraid of this law. It's because of people like you, rugby.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 PM

33 posts, read 22,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
"Illegal immigrants entering Texas' higher education system are direct beneficiaries of a 1982 Supreme Court decision, Plyler vs. Doe. Parents in Tyler sued after the state began charging tuition for illegal immigrant children. The court ruled that Texas and the rest of the country must educate illegal immigrant children free of charge in public schools."

The children get instate tuition because they spent their lives in the state school system. If your parents brought you here as a baby and you lived your whole life in Texas and graduated from high school should you be punished for your parents sins? Also if your whole family lives in the US and you have lived in the US your entire life are you supposed to go back to some foreign country where you may know nobody?

First of all, I do not care if they spent their lifes here or not. So did Americans and they do not get in state tuition like this when they move to a different state. Illegal is illegal.
Why would I care if they know someone in their home country? They know they committed a crime and need to deal with the consequences.
Never heard of Plyler vs. Doe, but thates do not have to give them in state tuition, obviously. Dosen't have anything to do with College education. Not all states do this. They need to be deported. Period.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Good Lord, and people wonder why educated dark skinned Mexican-American women such as my wife are afraid of this law. It's because of people like you, rugby.
Waving Mexican flags, sighns with "We demand legalization", spanish speaking signs saying "Yes, we can", Nazi signs etc. is what you call fear of profiling? Looks more like they want amnesty ASAP. And most people who actually DID protests against "profiling" were white Americans. There's something wrong with that picture. Does not look like many dark-skinned South Americans are afraid of profiling...

Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imforit View Post
Waving Mexican flags, sighns with "We demand legalization", spanish speaking signs saying "Yes, we can", Nazi signs etc. is what you call fear of profiling? Looks more like they want amnesty ASAP. And most people who actually DID protests against "profiling" were white Americans. There's something wrong with that picture. Does not look like many dark-skinned South Americans are afraid of profiling...
What's really wrong with this picture is that you are about the fourth person to respond to one of my posts out of the blue as a brand new member. Apparently, somebody needs to grow a pair.

With that said, what is the issue with waving Mexican flags? Why are so many people afraid of them? Another thing I don't understand is why people are so offended by neighborhoods where everything is in Spanish and people speak Spanish. Does it really matter? Very few people complain about the signs in Asiatown in Asian languages.

That's another thing that gets me. Why no call to get after the tons of Asian illegals in Houston? How about the ones in California?

When you read some of the posts by people it just becomes blatantly obvious this issue has a lot more to do with disliking poor Mexicans than illegal immigration.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
What's really wrong with this picture is that you are about the fourth person to respond to one of my posts out of the blue as a brand new member. Apparently, somebody needs to grow a pair. With that said, what is the issue with waving Mexican flags? Why are so many people afraid of them? Another thing I don't understand is why people are so offended by neighborhoods where everything is in Spanish and people speak Spanish. Does it really matter? Very few people complain about the signs in Asiatown in Asian languages. That's another thing that gets me. Why no call to get after the tons of Asian illegals in Houston? How about the ones in California? When you read some of the posts by people it just becomes blatantly obvious this issue has a lot more to do with disliking poor Mexicans than illegal immigration.
What are you talking about? Don't like my posts?? Too bad. The Asian signs are limited to that area. Asians usually do not show so much disrespect. There are a "ton" of Asian illegals in Houston? Where?? ( If The rolling eye smiley would work, then that's what you would see right here..) You keep trying to turn this into a racial debate. I guess that's a desperate try to say something against this whole issue.. And I mentioned Mexican flags because that is all I saw. No one else sees to do it. So that's another baseless accusation.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imforit View Post
What are you talking about? Don't like my posts?? Too bad. The Asian signs are limited to that area. Asians usually do not show so much disrespect. There are a "ton" of Asian illegals in Houston? Where?? ( If The rolling eye smiley would work, then that's what you would see right here..) You keep trying to turn this into a racial debate. I guess that's a desperate try to say something against this whole issue.. And I mentioned Mexican flags because that is all I saw. No one else sees to do it. So that's another baseless accusation.
I prefer your posts be from your actual user name.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:01 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
With that said, what is the issue with waving Mexican flags?
Although I agree with you on about 90% - I do have a problem with waving ANY flag other than ours in this country, with the exception being over a foreign embassy. It's disrespectful. I would not dare presume to go to any other country and wave the American flag. They would be totally justified in telling me to go back to America immediately, if I were to do so - which is exactly how I feel when I see someone waving another flag here.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 05-03-2010 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I prefer your posts be from your actual user name.
???? It is a Monday night. So it can't be what I am thinking it is. But I am not interested in participating here any other than this topic. I am a busy guy.

Something I forgot to add was that you might be right about the unfavorable Mexican sentiment. Looks like you are a liberal? Then you probably agreed with the anti American sentiment when Bush was in office. All the bad came from one source ( yes, some Deomcrats too). It is not much different with Mexicans here. The majority of illegals are Mexicans.

It's late.. time to study for my citizenship test on Wednesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: