Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 11:19 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know there have been some older threads about this zip code before but since communities can change rapidly in Houston, I'd like more current info on this zip code.
Looking for newer houses in this zip, circa 2004+. Safety, quality of construction and home value maintenance are key priorities!! Price <250k, 3bdrm <2500sqft is ideal. From my resesarch, it seems like Berkshire, Amesbury Park and Lakes of Pine Forest are my choices.
Can anyone comment on what they know about these subdivisions or recommend anything I missed? (I do not want to go further north to copperfield, nor west to Katy since my goal is to be as close to the memorial area as possible in that price range.) Thanks for your inputs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 12:37 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
All are ok. I live in that zip and it is a mixed bag of tricks. The neighborhoods you have narrowed down to are all fine. There are foreclosures, as there are in almost all neighborhods, but they aren't the majority. Berkshire seems nicer than Lakes of Pine Forest, just because I have seen some homes in the latter that have a lot of cars, which isn't a good sign.

I know you mentioned 2004 forward, but if you will check out a little older homes, you might like Barkers Ridge (built in the 90's) and Deerfield Village (built in the late 80's). Both have the higher ceilings and open plans, for the most part.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 12-25-2009 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-26-2009, 12:03 PM

243 posts, read 487,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Hi, I know there have been some older threads about this zip code before but since communities can change rapidly in Houston, I'd like more current info on this zip code.
Looking for newer houses in this zip, circa 2004+. Safety, quality of construction and home value maintenance are key priorities!! Price <250k, 3bdrm <2500sqft is ideal. From my resesarch, it seems like Berkshire, Amesbury Park and Lakes of Pine Forest are my choices.
Can anyone comment on what they know about these subdivisions or recommend anything I missed? (I do not want to go further north to copperfield, nor west to Katy since my goal is to be as close to the memorial area as possible in that price range.) Thanks for your inputs!
Those neigborhoods do have some nice homes. However, the issue in that area is that they are surrounded by lots of older, sub-100K homes and apartments. The schools are in rapid decline and most of the new retail in that area caters to new immigrants from Latin America. Take a drive down Highway 6 between Clay and W Little York, visit some of the retail, and you'll get an idea of the folks that live in the area. For these reasons, home values in that area will either decline or remain flat--especially with the higher end homes as the low end residental will bring the prices down. In addition, the traffic along Highway 6 and Clay Road is horrible. If you are going to spend 250K, I wouldn't spend it on a home in that area.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:47 PM

Yeah, thanks for the great advices posted. I drove around Hwy6 and E/W of Clay, and, ugh. I only liked Berkshire, of all the subdivs I listed, and that's while I'm deep in the subdivision. Once I drove out onto Hwy 6, a lot of punks (one car had a cheap body that has been pimped up with large wheels, bling-blings, and got garish paint job; another drove thru 2 red lights at, I'm guessing, about 80mph) and other disconcerting stuff. Actually, I saw tonnes of cars on driveways and all over the roads in ALL these subdivs, but that could just be b/c it's the holidays...I was giggling to myself as I had to weave around all these hapzardly parked cars, thinking about what first poster said.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Dd you try the two older subdivisions I mentioned? That's the problem with newer construction - unless price point is high, they tend to look like what you described.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Dd you try the two older subdivisions I mentioned? That's the problem with newer construction - unless price point is high, they tend to look like what you described.
Hi Cheryjohns,

I did drive past those older neighborhoods. They were much nicer. The houses were just a little too old and a little too far and a little too large for me-but pricewise, wow you can get a lot of house for the buck! I think if I was considering Barker's ridge, for example, I would rather be in Krystle lake, south of IH10 b/c they're newer. I'm one of those ppl that like newer houses (I know, i know, no soul...). And those houses seem a little too large for me, I prefer <2500sqft. But thanks for pointing them out to me, i had not known of Barker's Ridge.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 7,182 times
does anyone have any info on the bear creek subdivision.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Villages of Bear Creek or Bear creek Village? They are completely different in age, floorplans, atmosphere, demographics, etc.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:52 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times
Probably Bear Creek Village.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 15,487 times
kitty13n - Bear Creek Village is very small and only has a few (smaller) houses. You probably mean Villages of Bear Creek (has about 2k residents) - both are at Clay and Highway 6

I've lived in Villages of Bear Creek for about 15 years - it has homes that were built in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. The homes built in the 70's are generally built better than most trac homes today - a lot of really nice Fuqua homes.

Some of the 80's and 90's houses were Standard Pacific - pretty nice floorplans and ok quality.

Theres also a new section with large patio homes at the front of the neighborhood - most about 2200 - 3000 sq ft.

The neighborhood also has its own fire department, police station, 2 olympic sized pools, and 3 sets of clay tennis courts.

Demographics-wise its mixed, but pretty low crime - the association sends out a police report to all residents in the news letter and not really anything out of the ordinary.

I'd recommend the area - I still like it after living here for 15 years - but its definitely not a master planned community with all beige houses and pristine shopping centers (the above depiction of highway 6 was unfortunately pretty accurate). [mod edit - 10 post to link off site]

Last edited by Oildog; 05-18-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston