Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany63 View Post
You lied about the flooding in Katy ( remember hwy 10?) and now I am Houston bashing. This site is a joke and so are you. I hope no one takes this seriously.
tiff
You must be a Houston hater, judging by your posts.
Don't like the place, then don't come onto it's forum and talk mess about it, it doesn't help your case.

Anyways back on subject, I have to say before. I am very biased and generally prefer Sugar Land, but Pearland and Katy are growing faster. And both can give Sugar Land a run for it's money now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:23 AM

17 posts, read 49,892 times
James, I want to hear more about your move! My husband is facing a potential relocation (by choice) to the Houston area and I have narrowed down my search to Cinco Ranch (Katy) and Telfair in Sugar Land. I originally liked The Woodlands, but decided it was too far North and wouldn't offer us the ease to head West to Austin or San Antonio on the weekends.

We have a 4 year old, entering Pre-K this year and I will be leaving my job to make this move, but hoping to go back to finish my BS in Exercise Science and Physical Therapy.

I won't settle for less than great schools and really want great family oriented neighborhoods. We live in a planned community that everyone calls "Pleasantville", in the Seattle suburbs, and are used to that cookie cutter feel...but I would take that over a spotty crime ridden area any day.

James, if you don't mind, reply with your impression of the real estate agents and what you were able to find in your price range. We are looking to stay in the 225-275 range at most. In our current area, that buys a cardboard box under a freeway overpass, so it's shocking for me to see anything inhabitable for under 350, let alone all the room we need.

Thanks for your input!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batdogmama View Post
I won't settle for less than great schools and really want great family oriented neighborhoods. We live in a planned community that everyone calls "Pleasantville", in the Seattle suburbs, and are used to that cookie cutter feel...but I would take that over a spotty crime ridden area any day.
We lived in Seattle for almost a decade...what part of the Seattle suburbs is Pleasantville?

Telfair or Cinco Ranch are both great. I think you'll be quite happy with either choice.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
We lived in Seattle for almost a decade...what part of the Seattle suburbs is Pleasantville?

Telfair or Cinco Ranch are both great. I think you'll be quite happy with either choice.
We live on Snoqualmie Ridge. We get a hard time from our family for living here, but we really love it here.

Unfortunately, the cost of living is really high (the entire Eastside area) and we're ready for a change. I've lived in the Seattle area my whole life, but my husband is originally from the South (Florida and West Texas) and he really wants to raise our son down there. Unfortunately, we know nothing about the Houston area, which is where his best job opportunity is down there.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:14 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batdogmama View Post
We live on Snoqualmie Ridge. We get a hard time from our family for living here, but we really love it here.

Unfortunately, the cost of living is really high (the entire Eastside area) and we're ready for a change. I've lived in the Seattle area my whole life, but my husband is originally from the South (Florida and West Texas) and he really wants to raise our son down there. Unfortunately, we know nothing about the Houston area, which is where his best job opportunity is down there.
Snoqualmie Ridge is gorgeous, so one thing you will give up is scenery. But there are big advantages to living in a suburb of Houston: affordability, excellent public schools, friendly people, driving distance to awesome museums/theatre/dining in Houston, SUN.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Snoqualmie Ridge is gorgeous, so one thing you will give up is scenery. But there are big advantages to living in a suburb of Houston: affordability, excellent public schools, friendly people, driving distance to awesome museums/theatre/dining in Houston, SUN.
Yes, leaving behind the mountains, greenery, and proximity to the ocean will be very difficult. I am an avid hiker, and he is a scuba diver, so we'll both have a lot of change to overcome. What I will not miss is the lack of summer here. Especially this year... I am a warm weather fan and humidity doesn't really bother me as long as I have AC in the house!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
We are in Pearland - we moved here almost 2 years ago from the UK. Our 2 main priorities were schools as we have a 10 year old son and commute. My sons schools - Cockrell Elemetary and Sablatura Middle School have both been excellent - he is in their GT programme and is doing really well. So far his teachers have been fantastic. My husband's commute was originally over to Greens Port on the east but is now west to just off of the beltway before westheimer - both averaged about 40 minutes. We knew about the move before we chose where to live so picked a middle spot ! Hubby has chimed in to add that the 288 from Pearland to Downtown at rush hour is a car park however Hwy35 would be a good choice from Pearland.

I like Pearland as it is quiet but still has all the amenities that you would need however every time I drive to Sugarland I really do like the 'feel' of the area - can't really explain why. We are in Lakes of Highland Glen off of the Pearland Parkway so 5 minutes and you are on the Beltway

Personally I think the Katy commute to downtown would be awful plus the area is too suburban for my liking - all houses, houses, houses.
Our school situation has been good - Massey Ranch is the only elementary that is working on the IB certification. My granddaughter's teachers have been great. She's going into 3rd grade, so we will see what happens next year.

My grandson is autistic and that is a different story. We really should be in Katy for his school, but my son commutes to Pasedena so Katy would be too far.

We are in Pearland also in the Silverlake Southwyck area. I like it, but the traffic into town is not great during rush hour. We are on the 288 side of town. The light rail in Houston is not good yet. It might eventually become a decent system, but right now it is short and only takes you to certain places.

Our neighborhood, btw, has a very small town feel. The kids play out after school in our cul de sac and parents are outside watching them. The kids all go trick or treating together at Halloween and the whole neighborhood decorates their houses. I felt like I stepped back into the 50s which is not a bad thing for bringing up kids, imo.

Sugarland has good schools too, but I don't know anything about the commute times.

Dorothy

Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 PM

7 posts, read 77,009 times
Thought I'd check in and let everyone know where I stand:

We narrowed our search down to Katy and Sugar Land based on the feel of the areas, and the lack of windstorm insurance requirement. We just got back from our house-hunting trip, and are currently considering several different houses in Katy (mostly in cinco ranch). We like Sugarland, but couldn't find anything in our price range that was also newer and had exemplary schools. Also, although my commuting mileage may be a little more from Katy, I like the idea of having two different routes I can take in case of accident on the freeway. Also, the Houston Metro Park and Ride has a direct route all the way from Katy to downtown (Sugar Land requires a transfer).

Overall, my impression is that Katy offers more "bang for the buck" in general, although I'd still consider Sugar Land if we could find the right house there.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Like I said earlier in the thread, Katy is your best bet, in your price range. Great schools (Katy is the largest school district in Texas with an exemplary rating) and generally cheaper homes than Sugar Land. You have multiple routes Downtown (I-10 and the Westpark Tollway). Not to mention Metro operated two Park and Ride routes in Katy, and one nearby on Highway 6. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM

34 posts, read 101,702 times
We lived in Pearland to scope Houston out. It was okay. But we bought our home in Sugar Land. Apparently the grass is greener over here because it fits our family so much better. We are very happy with our choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston