Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 01:48 PM

739 posts, read 2,262,501 times

Advertisements

The creek behind my house is full of baby mosquitos. I called mosquito control and the woman chewed me out she said "Where are you!, Who is this!, How bad are they!" and she said they only spray where there is west nile virus. If I go to the feed store and buy some spray and spend my own money and just do it myself will I get in any trouble. Last summer I cleared out the vines and weeds on that same creek and sprayed 2,4 D using my own money and also mowed the grass and the county griped about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 05:13 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,751 times
If you have neighbours near you that are having the same mosquito problem, ask them to call and complain. I would first call the mosquito control again and state the problem with the creek. If you get the same person, ask them to identify themself and ask for a supervisor. I spray around my place and have never had the county complain. Good luck..

Old 05-15-2010, 06:37 PM

61,733 posts, read 87,147,355 times
That person probably sits in a tiny cubicle somewhere deep in India. How the heck should she figure out where your creek is? She probably does not even know where Texas is ...

Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
The creek behind my house is full of baby mosquitos. I called mosquito control and the woman chewed me out she said "Where are you!, Who is this!, How bad are they!" and she said they only spray where there is west nile virus. If I go to the feed store and buy some spray and spend my own money and just do it myself will I get in any trouble. Last summer I cleared out the vines and weeds on that same creek and sprayed 2,4 D using my own money and also mowed the grass and the county griped about it.
I have found that coconuts are great tools for mosquito control. You can smush like 20 of them at a time with a big 'ol coconut in your hand.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:25 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
It seems like you come across a lot of people who yell at you & chew you out based on your posts. Maybe your approach needs some work?

If you're in an HOA community, call them in addition to calling the county again. I don't see why they would have reason to gripe about you doing your own mosquito control, though.

But, the coconut solution is always good.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:18 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
It seems like you come across a lot of people who yell at you & chew you out based on your posts. Maybe your approach needs some work?
Yea, he's on my ignore list for sure But to his point, if I was clearing a creek for pest control because the county wouldn't do it, I certainly wouldn't stop just because some county official complained. It would take a sheriff threatening to take me to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: