Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 PM

65 posts, read 184,091 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in San Diego (originally from San Francisco ) and thinking about maybe moving to Houston. I don't know anything about Texas in general but from what I've found out if correct. Houston sounds like a good place for someone in IT which I am. Also being Asian, I would like to live and be kind of close to any nearby community. I also want to live in an area that is of course safe and quite. I've read that Sugarland, Pearland and Wastchase is where most of the Asian people live.

Another question I have is how is the job market in IT right now? I've read that Houston was doing quite well even in these times which was a surprised to hear. Also interested in how the year round weather is as well.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 07:29 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,744,108 times
If by Asian you mean South Asian i.e. Indian then yes the majority seem to live in Sugarland.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If by Asian you mean South Asian i.e. Indian then yes the majority seem to live in Sugarland.
Sorry Chris, I meant Asian as in Chinese, Korean and so on...

Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,125,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue04 View Post
I am currently living in San Diego (originally from San Francisco ) and thinking about maybe moving to Houston. I don't know anything about Texas in general but from what I've found out if correct. Houston sounds like a good place for someone in IT which I am. Also being Asian, I would like to live and be kind of close to any nearby community. I also want to live in an area that is of course safe and quite. I've read that Sugarland, Pearland and Wastchase is where most of the Asian people live.

Another question I have is how is the job market in IT right now? I've read that Houston was doing quite well even in these times which was a surprised to hear. Also interested in how the year round weather is as well.

Thanks
Do you have a family, girlfriend, or moving alone? If you are with a girlfriend or alone I would look into the the Westchase area as many IT companies are located in that area. If you can provide more details, more advice can be given.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
Quote:

Thanks
I'm Asian as well, my parents work in IT, and I live in Sugar Land. Lol, having said that I can help you out.

Yes the market for IT is pretty good in Houston. But I suggest applying to some places before actually moving, I cannot stress that enough to people on here, some people from the Northeast just move here and then start looking for a job.
Even with the job market being good, expect some competition when you give your resume to a head hunter or apply directly. But it's not as hard as you would think, if you have experience, and if you've got a great resume, you should do fine.

As for places to live, yes Sugar Land is very diverse, many different kind of Asian people here. South Asians and Chinese in particular, but there are significant amount of Koreans and Vietnamese as well.
The houses are nice, and the quality of life is great. The public schools are wonderful (especially in the First Colony area), and you get a great deal for your budget here as apposed to San Deigo.
Which is always a good thing.
Sugar Land is home to sooo many restaurants, mostly ethnic restaurants, you'll find large Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Italian, French, Mexican, and American food everywhere here in Sugar Land. There are parks, and lots to do!

The weather, well you're coming from the city that supposedly has "the perfect weather in USA" haha, so you're probably not used to 4 seasons. Well that's good, our winters rarely ever get harsh. Sometimes it snows maybe 1-2 inches max, but that's rare. Only happens once every couple of years and it doesn't affect anyone.
It gets hot though especially during the summer, but thankfully in modern day and times everything is controlled by AC, you won't have to worry about it. Unless you're out at 12 noon taking a walk around a park or something, but even then it's only unbearable for a while, you'll get used to it. But the temperature at night is perfect. And like I said everything is done by AC, you really don't have to worry about weather being a distraction to you.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:47 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,667 times
^^^^ Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Although, I will point out that it's snowed in Houston the past two winters (hell froze over...twice). So, our weather has been pretty wacky lately as far as the winter months go but even then, it's only an inch or two...nothing to worry about.

I'll add that if you're single, then I'd say the Greenway area might be a little better b/c it's closer to night life, etc. There is still an Asian presence but it's a little closer to "the mix" of things

Old 05-16-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I'm Asian as well, my parents work in IT, and I live in Sugar Land. Lol, having said that I can help you out.

Yes the market for IT is pretty good in Houston. But I suggest applying to some places before actually moving, I cannot stress that enough to people on here, some people from the Northeast just move here and then start looking for a job.
Even with the job market being good, expect some competition when you give your resume to a head hunter or apply directly. But it's not as hard as you would think, if you have experience, and if you've got a great resume, you should do fine.

As for places to live, yes Sugar Land is very diverse, many different kind of Asian people here. South Asians and Chinese in particular, but there are significant amount of Koreans and Vietnamese as well.
The houses are nice, and the quality of life is great. The public schools are wonderful (especially in the First Colony area), and you get a great deal for your budget here as apposed to San Deigo.
Which is always a good thing.
Sugar Land is home to sooo many restaurants, mostly ethnic restaurants, you'll find large Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Italian, French, Mexican, and American food everywhere here in Sugar Land. There are parks, and lots to do!

The weather, well you're coming from the city that supposedly has "the perfect weather in USA" haha, so you're probably not used to 4 seasons. Well that's good, our winters rarely ever get harsh. Sometimes it snows maybe 1-2 inches max, but that's rare. Only happens once every couple of years and it doesn't affect anyone.
It gets hot though especially during the summer, but thankfully in modern day and times everything is controlled by AC, you won't have to worry about it. Unless you're out at 12 noon taking a walk around a park or something, but even then it's only unbearable for a while, you'll get used to it. But the temperature at night is perfect. And like I said everything is done by AC, you really don't have to worry about weather being a distraction to you.
Thanks OmShahi and Vertigo for your insight. Well, the only good thing about San Diego is the weather and that's about it. Take that away and San Diego is nothing at least in my opinion. Coming from San Francisco, Yes the weather is very nice but the people here are so fake. All about the looks and what you have. The job market here is also terrible more so than other parts of CA. Funny as I hear everyone saying that SD has the perfect weather but same can be said for LA as well. Overall San Diego is a boring place to be and live.

From what I have seen posted, there seems to be a great deal of Jobs that needs to be filled. Which is always a good sign and I'm sure that the cost of living is lower than what I am used to so if the pay if generally the same. I should take a trip to visit first to check out the area and see
if it feels right for me.

I am single but not looking to be too close to the night life so Sugar Land seems to be a good fit by what was said.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:11 AM

875 posts, read 1,662,713 times
Quote:

Thanks
You should also look into the (bay area) Clear lake to be exact (yes Houston has a bay area just like San Francisco). This area is somewhat new and growing in Asian population...i think you will be surprised how great the Asian culture is in Houston. It may not be like San Francisco but its really nice and close knit. Also the bay are in Houston is like 20 mins from downtown (be prepared to drive because you will be doing alot of it in Houston). Houston has a rail system but it only runs in downtown. Not like SF where you can ride all over. I think your move to Houston is great keep doing research. I know you will like the cost of living difference..lol

Old 05-16-2010, 05:38 AM
l3m

105 posts, read 292,131 times
If your skill set is in demand, then you won't have a problem finding work in Houston. But with so much competition out there, you will need a local address on your resume to be noticed by local employers or recruiters. It's all about timing. One of the hurdles I found while looking for IT jobs around here is they want oil/gas business experience. Btw, there are more IT opportunities in Dallas.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,013,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
You should also look into the (bay area) Clear lake to be exact (yes Houston has a bay area just like San Francisco). This area is somewhat new and growing in Asian population...i think you will be surprised how great the Asian culture is in Houston. It may not be like San Francisco but its really nice and close knit. Also the bay are in Houston is like 20 mins from downtown (be prepared to drive because you will be doing alot of it in Houston). Houston has a rail system but it only runs in downtown. Not like SF where you can ride all over. I think your move to Houston is great keep doing research. I know you will like the cost of living difference..lol
Clear Lake is far from new - in fact Clear Lake itself is considered completely built out with no new building so the older homes retain value because there are no "brand new" in the area. New in the "Bay Area" is more League City around highways 96 and 646 - that is all new but that is also League City and not Clear Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston