Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:47 PM

6 posts, read 17,620 times

Advertisements

Howdy y'all! I am starting a new thread although I've read several individual comments pertaining to both of my subject matters.

First, we're coming home to Texas! We're relocating in July and have been looking for homes the past couple of weeks via har.com. Torn between the 288 corridor (Pearland) and Fall Creek (BW8 & US59). I'll work downtown. I read/heard that US59 traffic moves well in both directions, and we like the trees and terrain in the north/northeast better than Pearland. My question, between the two locations (Fall Creek or Pearland), which is better (of course, the typical metrics: proximity to downtown, conveniences, entertainment, restaurants, shopping, quiet, friendly, access to an airport, diversity, good schools, great younger neighbors in their early 30s to fourties mainly, etc.)? Thanks for all the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 04:13 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times
I would choose Fall Creek (or Summerwood) because US59 traffic is a breeze and the scenery up that way is better (a pine forest with Lake Houston almost in the middle of it all). The schools are great in both areas. They are about the same on everything else (entertainment, shopping, etc.), though Pearland is building more retail centers at the moment.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks Guerilla. The booming retail of Shadow Creek Ranch (and the Blue Ridge expansion) is what gives us concerns about Pearland. I think in the next year or two with all the retail going in, it would be a chore to get home during the week and getting out on the weekends.

Do you have other recommendations in the north/northeast? Our primary concern right now is the daily commute (emphasis on the PM commute home). Thanks again.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times
I would recommend Summerwood, Fall Creek, or Eagle Springs. The commute is really easy from these communities. Traffic on US59 is a breeze. Summerwood actually has a lot of retail planned (and some underconstruction), but not as much as Pearland. If you decide to move into any of the communities I named, the high school (and elementary and junior high) are good. Atascocita High School is new. You'll like it up there.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 AM

Thanks again Guerilla. I'll check the others that you mentioned to get a better idea about the communities.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
Dean77002
I'm partial because I live in Fall Creek, but I'll have to say that we love it here. They just broke ground on the elementary school for Fall Creek. There is a lot of diversity, lots of families, great airport access, quiet, and most of all, friendly. My husband works downtown and says it's easy commute.
Good luck in your search.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:18 PM

69 posts, read 217,443 times
How long would you say the commute is from Fall Creek and Summerwood to downtown Smith Street during peak times?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:53 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgiordano View Post
How long would you say the commute is from Fall Creek and Summerwood to downtown Smith Street during peak times?
I'm not sure where Smith Street is. I know that it takes about 30-35 minutes to the Texas St. area during peak time from Fall Creek. Add about 10 minutes on to that from Summerwood.

On a Saturday, or off peak, it only takes 15 minutes to get downtown from FC. Or if you leave at 7:00 instead of 7:30, you can make it in more like 25 minutes on a weekday from FC.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Don't forget the Eastex Park-n-Ride is minutes away too, so you never have to drive to work, unless you want to. A breeze on the HOV!

Dean, I sent you a PM.

One thing I forgot to mention about Shadow Creek Ranch is the extremely high taxes they pay down there. It's kinda nuts. Not sure about Fall Creek, but I can check.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Mom2Feebs,

Thanks. The FC tax rate is around 3.7%; it's ugly but some of the taxes should go down once there are more homes and residents to share the "burden" (MUD, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: