Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,485 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm doing some research on areas around Huntington. We plan to move there in 2018 so my wife can attend Marshall. We're looking for a rural, mountainous area around Huntington (which is most of it) with at least 20 acres. We'd like to stay within 30 minutes or so of the college. We haven't spent any time there other than driving through, so other than the obvious natural beauty, we have no experience with the area.

I've looked around, and I don't see any issues with fracking or mining in the area, are there any that we should be aware of?

Are there any cute smaller towns that we should target? We currently live in a little town of about 2,500 and love it. I grew up on a farm in Wisconsin, so I'd like to live in the country again.

Privacy is key, we like to be friendly with our neighbors, but we don't want to see them every time we step onto the porch.

Is there a realtor that specializes in rural properties? I do a lot of research online, but it's always nice to have a professional watching for opportunities.

We'd like to purchase the land within the next year or two an then build on it later. If Beech Fork is nice lake, we might want to be near that.

The kids will be out of the house before then, so the schools aren't as big of a concern for us, though it might come into play if we decide to move after she finishes her doctorate.

Fill me in folks, I'd love to hear what you've got to say.

-Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,188 times
Well I know a lot about the beech fork area, and beech fork is okay...it's nothing to write home about, pretty small. Lavalette is okay, but you are not going to find WI like areas there. I've been to WI out in the farming areas around colby, and marathon. It's a completely different life and homes are no where that far away from one another in the area. For the most part homes from what I've seen in that area are pretty close to one another, and for the most part you will more then likely get to know all your neighbors and see them a lot. Some houses are nicer then others in that area. It's not a very far drive from Marshall, but it isn't a five minute drive either and for sure not a 30 minute drive but depends on how far out you live as well and on traffic. As far as comute time goes, you also may want to factor trains in the mix. Lavalette has a ford dealer a gas station, I think they have a food fair, and a ginos pizza? maybe I can't remember but I do think there is a mexican restaurant. All I know is it is smaller, but it wont in any way compare to WI. The people I went to see in WI, also came to WV and went to Beech Fork with me. He told me it wasn't really country and looked at me strangely when I said it was our "country". I don't think he much cared for this area, but he grew up on a farm in WI as well.

I'm not sure if there is a realtor that works with rural property or not. I didn't want to stay in WV and for sure didn't want to be out in the sticks so I never had anything to do with realtors in the area.

Last edited by CarolinaDreams; 09-15-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 05:34 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
I would check the areas bordering the roads Route 2, the Route 2 connector, Route 10, WV 152 as well as the area known as Martha.

Route 2 is flat with several farms and leads right into Huntington. The Route 2 Connector ties in to I-64 and provides a lot of convenience and there are till some larger plots of land there.

If you go farther out Zmartha, you may still find some land out that way. This area also ties back in to Route 10 which also has more land plots and leads right back to Huntington.

WV 152 is the Lavalette area Carolina is speaking of above.

Here is the link to the Huntingon Board of realtors as well. I hope this helps some.

Huntington Board of REALTORS

Old 09-18-2013, 11:25 AM

I second the route 2 area, it may be more along the lines of what you are looking for. One word of warning however route 2 can be a bit dangerous to travel, they have a lot of bad accidents on that road, lot of tractor trailers travel it. Route 2 is pretty convenient to Huntington and Barboursville (which is my number one choice for places to live in that part of WV). So you wont be very far from shopping, eating, what little bit there is to do in WV or Marshall.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,485 times
Default Thanks!

I appreciate the information, and the link. I definitely don't want to live in Wisconsin again. I'm a huge fan of "living in the sticks" though. I'm also not a fan of living near train tracks. I like the sound off in the distance, but anything within a few miles of train tracks is too close.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:50 AM

If you don't like trains better not come to WV then, they are everywhere. Some one correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't a train track run along route two? Or am I thinking of somewhere else? I grew up around 4 sets of train tracks one out back and three a block down out front, the noise and vibration from it was terrible. Even when I moved to B-ville there was a train track near there and could sometimes hear it and feel the vibrations from it. If you do move here, you will more then likely live near one, there are even tracks in downtown all over the place. Good luck on the not wanting to be around trains thing. That is one of the many things I do not miss about WV, and so glad I don't have to put up with anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington