Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 08:57 AM

51 posts, read 66,947 times

Advertisements

While visiting the mall yesterday, I noticed there is construction going on both inside and outside next to Dick's Sporting Goods. The armed forces recruiting center, post office, and Chic Wigs have been relocated to the hallway near the mall offices and the hallway heading towards Dick's has been blocked off. Workers were pulling up carpet, etc. beyond the blocked off area. Looks like the rumor of a Field & Stream store attached to Dick's Sporting Goods might be correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 05:29 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times
Interesting. I'll have to check that out next time I'm down that way. It'll also be interesting to see if they keep the old Elder Beerman as one big store or make it a new corridor with several stores off of that.

Edit: The Huntington Mall website has confirmed that Field and Stream is coming to the mall! The article seems to be down at the time of posting this but here's the link to the press releases as well where you can see the article title.

http://www.huntingtonmall.com/pressr...all/2130565301

http://www.huntingtonmall.com/pressreleases

Old 11-08-2016, 08:31 PM

Finally got the link to work:
Quote:
The wait is over for outdoorsmen-and-women who’ve been longing for a comprehensive source for all their sporting and outdoors needs. Field & Stream, an outdoors specialty store owned and operated by DICK’S Sporting Goods, will soon be appearing at Huntington Mall in Barboursville, West Virginia. Demolition and renovation have already begun within the mall to accommodate a shift in location for the existing DICK’S Sporting Goods. The new Field & Stream store will be located in the adjacent space, with customers being able to move freely between the two stores. Together, these complementary sports retailers will occupy more than 100,000 square feet on the west side of the mall. A Grand Opening for the new Field & Stream is expected to take place in the Fall of 2017.
Field & Stream bringing the great outdoors to Huntington Mall

Old 12-16-2016, 07:38 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,136 times
Since this thread is called "Huntington Mall," I thought that this piece of news belonged here:

New stores coming to Huntington Mall

Quote:
TJ Maxx and HomeGoods will be added in a combined store concept. It will go in near Forever 21 and Talbots.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:14 PM

51 posts, read 66,947 times
While at the mall today, I noticed that a Pandora jewelry store is set to open at the end of January. How many jewelry stores do we need???

Old 12-28-2016, 08:19 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
I saw the news story that the Charleston Town Center Sears will be closing in early 2017. Has anyone heard any rumblings regarding the Huntington Mall location?

Also while at the mall the other day you can see the construction progress of the Field and Stream location next to the current Dick's Sporting Goods exterior entrance.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:52 PM

583 posts, read 592,933 times
A couple of weeks ago I was in Sears and it looked pretty bleak there too. But bottom line if it closes I think Huntington Mall will have a much better chance doing something nice with the space versus CTC. I forgot that there was an upstairs at HM Sears so that's a large space. Sadly I live 5 minutes from the CTC and prefer to drive 40 minutes and go to Barboursville.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I saw the news story that the Charleston Town Center Sears will be closing in early 2017. Has anyone heard any rumblings regarding the Huntington Mall location?

Also while at the mall the other day you can see the construction progress of the Field and Stream location next to the current Dick's Sporting Goods exterior entrance.
It looks like only Charleston and Bridgeport Sears will be closing. I would imagine they are keeping the more profitable stores in the areas where there are two and seeing if this helps numbers. I'd be surprised if they weren't all gone in the next few years.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:08 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
It looks like only Charleston and Bridgeport Sears will be closing. I would imagine they are keeping the more profitable stores in the areas where there are two and seeing if this helps numbers. I'd be surprised if they weren't all gone in the next few years.
I agree. I think within a couple years Sears will be toast as a big box retailer, shifting to their profitable electronic order business. Who can blame them? It is impossible for them to compete with other e-order businesses at mall locations and with places like Walmart that have much lower overhead per sale.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:34 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was in Sears and it looked pretty bleak there too. But bottom line if it closes I think Huntington Mall will have a much better chance doing something nice with the space versus CTC. I forgot that there was an upstairs at HM Sears so that's a large space. Sadly I live 5 minutes from the CTC and prefer to drive 40 minutes and go to Barboursville.
I agree, the Huntington mall should find it much easier to replace their Sears if (*when) it closes. If the that happened maybe a year ago, maybe Dick's/Field & Stream combo would have preferred setting up shop in the old Sears with more visibility. I have seen dozens of DSG with 2nd levels.

I do like shopping at the Huntington Mall, but not over the CTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington