Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 08:10 PM

89 posts, read 242,501 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are transferring to Decatur with his company. I contacted a realtor and for some reason he's only showing us property in the Athens area. Also, he won't return emails or phone calls in a timely manner. Is it normal to wait three or more days for a return phone call? Or an email? I would think the realtor would be "all over us" b/c we are a given. We will definitely be buying a house. Is it time to look for a different realtor? We haven't signed any contracts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
If your agent will only show you Athens properties, then yes, time to get a new agent. There's not a thing wrong with Athens, but you may not want the commute across the bridge every day. Often the Athens and Huntsville agents know nothing about Decatur and don't want to show you anything here.
OTOH, you wanted waterfront property, and there isn't much in Decatur unless you're willing to take a townhouse or condo.

I know plenty of agents personally and can give you some recommendations if you'll PM me. Disclaimer: I don't sell, don't have relatives who sell, and have no dog in this fight!

Welcome to Decatur!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:27 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elise61 View Post
My husband and I are transferring to Decatur with his company. I contacted a realtor and for some reason he's only showing us property in the Athens area. Also, he won't return emails or phone calls in a timely manner. Is it normal to wait three or more days for a return phone call? Or an email? I would think the realtor would be "all over us" b/c we are a given. We will definitely be buying a house. Is it time to look for a different realtor? We haven't signed any contracts, etc.
Get another Realtor.

Southlander lives in Decatur. She can tell you where good neighborhoods are. DM her and do your own research.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:34 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Get another Realtor.

Southlander lives in Decatur. She can tell you where good neighborhoods are. DM her and do your own research.
Done.

Come to think of it, I have e-mailed a couple of agents through the valleymls.com Web site and have not gotten replies. It might be a problem with the mls site. But 3 days to return a call? Unless there's a family emergency or they're on vacation, that's unacceptable.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elise61 View Post
For one, choose a realtor that does this full-time. Some are not realtors/brokers full time. They have a day job, and maintain a license and do RE on the side.

Southlander- there may be nothing wrong with MLS: couple weeks ago there was property listed $169 (three digits-gone typo), I contacted the listing agent that night via mls, and by morning the price was corrected.

If they don't return the call, it's them.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:58 AM

482 posts, read 990,928 times
For some reason, a lot of agents in our profession are pretty bad about getting back in touch with people. As an example, I spoke with a reporter for the Huntsville Times yesterday. She was trying to find 2 agents as sources for an article she's writing for this Sunday's real estate section. She said "I tried to get in touch with about 10 or 12 realtors today. Of all the ones I contacted, you and one other are the only ones that actually got back to me." So, yes, there are quite a few that are just plain bad about responding. On the other hand, there are some great, "respond within 15-20 minute" type agents out there. A couple of them frequent this board.

I would say interview a few agents. Ask about their experience, are they full-time, what kind of work ethic do they have, what are their specialties, etc. Ask enough questions and you can get a really good sense as to whether or not they know what they're doing and if they're the right "fit" for you. Be very selective. This is a person you'll have to deal with on a frequent basis for the next month or so...and maybe even down the road, too.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:56 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,870 times
If you have to wait more than a few hours for a return phone call, fire them. That's insane! (I say a few hours, because most of us won't answer calls when we are with clients...I think it's rude and they deserve our undivided attention). I am not aware of any email issues with the MLS.

Decatur has some gorgeous homes on the market. As with all cities, it has it's pocket areas. Many commute from Madison to Decatur as well. There was an article about Priceville in the paper last week...almost made me want to move there, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area