Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM

32 posts, read 90,856 times

Advertisements

We are trying to find something to do that is kid friendly on Sunday. We thought it might be a little cool to be outside so we are trying to find something indoors but are open to all suggestions. I read about Harmony Park Safari. If anyone has anymore information on that it would be great.

So any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
How old are your children?

Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Cathedral Caverns is really neat, but it depends upon the age of your children and their interests. Harmony Safari Park is great, been there a couple times. Well worth the reasonable admission and the short drive.

Other than that, the classic things indoors to do with kids are SciQuest, Early Works and Space and Rocket Center.

If you are up for a day trip, Chattanooga's aquarium and children's museum are great.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM

32 posts, read 90,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
How old are your children?
Ages would have been great! Didn't think about that, sorry. They are five and six. (Both girls)

Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,045 times
Unless it's raining on Sunday, I would say bundle up and go outside. Soon enough the oppressive humid heat will be here and you'll want to stay indoor again. You can put a jacket on, but you can only go down to a shirt in summertime

Re: Harmony Park - it's a drive-thru while feeding the animals (bucket or cup of grains purchased separately). If you're lucky not to have cars behind you, you can stop for longer (it's a one-way 'lane', no turning back). The animals come very close and lick the window, stuck their head in or eat out of your hand. The driver needs undivided attention (5mph, bumpy road, animals won't budge out of your way), you might want to bring company for the kids (they'll be out of their seats, falling down at times trying to avoid contact with some gutsy llama stucking her head inside-if you crack the window more than 2inches).

If you're ready for a day trip and spending $100, I would recommend getting a Sci-Quest membership, and heading down to Bham to the McWane Science Center (right now they have a 'nano days' hands-on exhibit, check their calendar). The membership is good for McWane , SciQuest, Space &Rocket, and Science Museum in Nashville (reciprocity, check ASTC for other member science museums).

If you go to the Chattanooga Children's museum, you need membership from the EarlyWorks (Children museum assn.). EarlyWorks gives you access to 3 museums in Hsv, and they have the Santa Village at Christmas.

So you have to weigh the pros of the membership, see which one you need (exhibits).

We got the 'science' membership (McWane, and Nashville, which I highly recommend, SciQuest is too 'advanced' for my young kids).

With regard to the membership: you need to get the local museum membership, as there are restrictions based on distance from where you live - we got the McW last year because we really liked it, and used it more than 10 times, but in the meantime the kids grew, and I would give Sci-Qeust another try, at least it's in town when I don't feel like driving to Bham). So we will renew with SciQ and continue to go to McWane as well.

Also try Noccalula Falls in Gasden when the rain stops, makes for a nice outdoor trip (affordable admission, train rides unlimited, pioneer village, farm animals &deer, just a nice day out).

Check the city's calendar of events, might give you some (free) ideas for indoor activities (a dog or horse show at Agribition Center, or an Erector Set show at Jaycee, or something at VBC), maybe not for tomorrow, but later. -That's how I plan my kids outings, anyway-
Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitors Bureau

Last edited by friday13; 03-26-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 04:36 PM

652 posts, read 1,304,875 times
Tomorrow's weather probably won't cooperate but Big Springs Park in downtown Huntsville is a big hang-out spot on Sundays. Lots of people with dogs and kids and quite a few waders across the canal there (although signs say not to do it). You can also feed the goldfish and ducks if you remember to bring bread. Depending on how cautious you are, the kids can climb on the rocks there as well. Also, a drum circle normally starts at about 4:00 on Sundays and they're pretty cool. Then you can go get pizza at Pano e Vino (Art Museum). Nice afternoon!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:07 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,790,700 times
KidVenture - though I'm not sure what their public hours are on Sundays.

My girls always enjoy a trip to the mall, too. There's an indoor play area, lunch at the Food Court, and browsing the shops. A nice way to enjoy an afternoon out.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:57 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Since the OP asked specifically about Sunday, I thought I would point out that all of the Early Works museums are closed on Sundays. They are Constitution Village, Children's Museum, and Huntsville Depot. I could not tell you how many times we have wanted to take the kids to one of these on Sundays only to realize they are closed.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 PM

871 posts, read 2,885,916 times
Make sure you check out Fall Mills. Lots of fun for the kids:
Falls Mill

Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 AM

27 posts, read 54,074 times
Southern Adventures looks like it would be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area