Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times

Advertisements

We escaped to Atlanta because there're no electricity for the next 4~5 days. I know most folks in Huntsvilles can not watch TV and see the destruction across the states from this tornado, but it's incredible to see the destructive power and very sad for the folks who're severly affected. Many of us are very lucky as our homes were not in the direct path of tornados, and there were hundreds of tornados in the 48 hour period.

We saw neighborhoods that were completely wiped out in Birmingham and state-wide ~300 people died (as of latest). A local law-enforcement friend said that the Anderson Hill area sufferred and people died as a result of this tornado.

We were surprised that traffic out of town was not an issue yesterday. We knew the I-65 was going to be bad down in Cullman and Birmingham area and probably would not have gas station open, so we went up 72 to Chattanooga and come down to Atlanta. On 72 the Flint river was absolutely flooded, only 1 foot below the bridge level, and the farmland south of 72 was flooded. There was finally electricity, hence gas, right before we reach Tennessee. There were, surprisingly; virtually no traffic on 72 yesterday.

We also saw the tornado damage along I-75 in Georgia with snapped tree trunks, shattered billboards, and downed powerlines. But overall, they have electricity and all restaurants and gas stations stayed open along I-75.

God blessed those who were killed or injured from this tornado. Let's hope the electricity come back soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:23 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Having been through Wilma and Andrew in Florida, I see parallels. People are usually OK without power for about three days before they start feeling it. You were wise to leave, although the Shoals is closer and has power. Long lines for gas. Yep, been there. You don't want to be low on gas or not have gas for a generator before a storm.

Rubberneckers stand a decent chance of a flat tire in their travels. Nails and other road debris can happen. The news media tires to do a good job, but they get overtired and overstressed and make silly errors. WHNT was complaining about the lines of cars jamming the roads to leave the area. Those folks leaving were smart and the lessening of their needs upon existing supplies is a blessing.

Huntsville should fare pretty well against looters compared to areas of south Florida. Looters looking for come into the state easy pickings in the country would be well advised to note that most of us are armed and used to shooting.

Prayers to those immediately affected. With hurricanes, often the structure of a home remained habitable. In these tornadoes, so many are a total loss. Expect insurance rates to rise in the state, and explorations for separate windstorm coverage, as is in Florida.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:31 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
We escaped to Atlanta because there're no electricity for the next 4~5 days. I know most folks in Huntsvilles can not watch TV and see the destruction across the states from this tornado, but it's incredible to see the destructive power and very sad for the folks who're severly affected. Many of us are very lucky as our homes were not in the direct path of tornados, and there were hundreds of tornados in the 48 hour period.

We saw neighborhoods that were completely wiped out in Birmingham and state-wide ~300 people died (as of latest). A local law-enforcement friend said that the Anderson Hill area sufferred and people died as a result of this tornado.

We were surprised that traffic out of town was not an issue yesterday. We knew the I-65 was going to be bad down in Cullman and Birmingham area and probably would not have gas station open, so we went up 72 to Chattanooga and come down to Atlanta. On 72 the Flint river was absolutely flooded, only 1 foot below the bridge level, and the farmland south of 72 was flooded. There was finally electricity, hence gas, right before we reach Tennessee. There were, surprisingly; virtually no traffic on 72 yesterday.

We also saw the tornado damage along I-75 in Georgia with snapped tree trunks, shattered billboards, and downed powerlines. But overall, they have electricity and all restaurants and gas stations stayed open along I-75.

God blessed those who were killed or injured from this tornado. Let's hope the electricity come back soon.
Thank you for sharing this info. I'm with you ~ God bless all those affected by the devastating storms.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:40 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Huntsville should fare pretty well against looters compared to areas of south Florida. Looters looking for come into the state easy pickings in the country would be well advised to note that most of us are armed and used to shooting.
I do believe that store owner who shot the looter dead sent an excellent message, on behalf of all of us.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Damage isn't too bad in what I've seen of Huntsville (downed trees, etc.), however the death toll in surrounding areas is proof of the destruction wrought by the tornadoes.

Thank goodness we have water and the weather is mild now. Power is out in almost all of Huntsville, however some stores and restaurants (with generators) are offering limited services, with more opening each day. Publix, Target, and Star Market are really helping out. Star Market at Five Points made pizza today (cheese or pepperoni) and on Saturday they will be grilling ribs and chicken. I'll wait in line an hour for ribs.

I'm on a generator now and kind of surprised to have internet - cable is still out.

Many of my family and friends have left town until the power comes back on. Huntsville Utilities estimates most power will be back on Monday.

The dusk to dawn curfew is a good idea. Everyone I've talked to who has heard about the looter has had the same response - good riddance.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:52 AM

704 posts, read 937,006 times
It was surreal, following this on the news from our Excercise here in Victoria, Canada and I heard Huntsville took a hit. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who lost in this catastrophe.

I've been wondering, is there a site that shows maps of historical Tornado Paths in Huntsville?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 AM

976 posts, read 2,684,679 times
Quote:
We saw neighborhoods that were completely wiped out in Birmingham and state-wide
The damage is not statewide, it is just tuscaloosa on up. Here in southern Alabama there is no damage.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
The damage is not statewide, it is just tuscaloosa on up. Here in southern Alabama there is no damage.
I think you cut off sentence prematurely in the quote.
Quote:
We saw neighborhoods that were completely wiped out in Birmingham and state-wide ~300 people died (as of latest).

Old 04-30-2011, 08:17 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,392,643 times
Quote:
We escaped to Atlanta because there're no electricity for the next 4~5 days. I know most folks in Huntsvilles can not watch TV and see the destruction across the states from this tornado, but it's incredible to see the destructive power and very sad for the folks who're severly affected. Many of us are very lucky as our homes were not in the direct path of tornado, and there were hundreds of tornadoes in the 48 hour period.

I also went to Atlanta and concur with what you describe. I was shocked at how close the river was from the bottom of the bridge. There seems to be some kind of disconnect between local officials, state officials and federal officials as to how bad the damage is in North Alabama. The media focuses on what happened in Tuscaloosa rightfully so but none of the damage in other areas particularly North Alabama is mentioned. I'm not sure if it's because that information just hasn't been relayed to state officials or it's just how the media when they cover a story they seem to always focus on one location.

According to the Huntsville Times, Madison, Limestone, morgan, and jackson were NOT included in president Obama's disaster declaration. In my opinion the power grid failure from Brown Ferry Nuclear alone is enough to warrant being added as a disaster area much less the tornado damage. According to the preliminary reports one of the tornadoes that hit Limestone/west madison was a strong EF4 with winds up to 190mph. That tornado may have been mostly on the ground for up to 42 miles and there were other tornadoes in the area's of north alabama in the EF3, EF4 strength range. The governor plans to visit North Alabama soon, I just want to see all area's get the coverage they deserve and have their story told and receive the assistance they need. Tuscaloosa was horrible but 250+ people so far have died in this state, 45 of those were in Tuscaloosa so obviously other areas have been hit very hard as well.

From Huntsville Times
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/04/...sident_ob.html

President Obama has declared the following counties in Alabama a federal disaster area: Cullman, DeKalb, Franklin, Jefferson, Lawrence, Marshall, Tuscaloosa and Walker. The declaration, which does not include several North Alabama counties, opens the affected areas to increased federal emergency assistance.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-03-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: added link for copyright

Old 04-30-2011, 09:14 AM

976 posts, read 2,684,679 times
Yeah Huntsville is getting no attention, I seen a convoy of utility trucks from Detroit, MI. just pass right through northern Alabama, but it's not as bad as T-town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area