Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:46 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times

Advertisements

I have been following Dave Ramsey, and I really want to start to stockpile some money and get my bills paid off.

I work during the week daytime hours. I have been thinking of getting a part time job a few days a week in the evening. The plan is to use all of the extra money to get car paid off, credit card paid off, then build up savings account.

Does anyone know how much a Papa Johns driver can make on a typical night? The problem with that is putting miles on my car.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM

230 posts, read 388,427 times
This is in no way directly applicable since it was long ago, far away, and for a different company with no doubt a different pay structure, but i drove delivery for Domino's in Atlanta back in the 80's and I would average about $10/hr between wage, tips, and commission (we got a per-pizza commission).

If you decide to go this route I have three pieces of advice:

1. When you are at work, work. I found most of the drivers would deliver their order, then screw around for a while doing personal stuff before returning to the store. Yes, we got hourly wages (minimum wage) but the real money was the tips and commission...so you could piddle around on company time for $X/hr, or do real work and double your money. Also, the bosses know who is doing real work and who is screwing around; this results in preferrential treatment (surprsie, surprise). When it slows down later at night and deliveries are few, who dgets the chance to volunteer to go home early instead of closing if they want to? When the known best-paying orders come in (in my time and place it was strip clubs, the press box at GA Tech Stadium on game days, and certain areas of Midtown), who do you think the managers will give those orders to if there are several drivers waiting to make a delivery?

2. Talk to your car insurance agent, be very open and honest about what you are doing. Also your employer. Make darn sure one or the other is covering you while you ae delivering...both for your own sake, and that of anyone you might get into a wreck with (I was hit by a kid working for a Mom-and-Pop pizza place, totaled my car, took over 2 years to get everything straightened out because no one's insurance would accept responsibility...not to mention 35% percent of the action went to my azttorney because I needed one due to the mess).

3. Give long and careful consideration to arming yourself, and when you are driving around at night and a little voice in your head tells you something isn't right, listen to it. On the first matter, if you choose to carry a gun, please do so legally (permits are only $10 for pete's sake) and please make sure you get some level of training or practice in safe handling of your gun and relatively accomplished shooting ability). On the second matter...if you are sent to a delivery at, say (making up addresses now) 304 Governor's Dr, and you notice (a) there is a 300 and a 308, but no 304, and (b) gee, it sure is dark and deserted on this section of the road...leave. You are being set up for a robbery. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. In my time most of us never saw a problem, but it happened enough that most of us were armed in some manner or another.

ETA: and kudos for trying to get out of debt! making steps in that direction myself; it has been difficult and expensive, but I am almost there. It makes a world of difference.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
This is in no way directly applicable since it was long ago, far away, and for a different company with no doubt a different pay structure, but i drove delivery for Domino's in Atlanta back in the 80's and I would average about $10/hr between wage, tips, and commission (we got a per-pizza commission).

If you decide to go this route I have three pieces of advice:

1. When you are at work, work. I found most of the drivers would deliver their order, then screw around for a while doing personal stuff before returning to the store. Yes, we got hourly wages (minimum wage) but the real money was the tips and commission...so you could piddle around on company time for $X/hr, or do real work and double your money. Also, the bosses know who is doing real work and who is screwing around; this results in preferrential treatment (surprsie, surprise). When it slows down later at night and deliveries are few, who dgets the chance to volunteer to go home early instead of closing if they want to? When the known best-paying orders come in (in my time and place it was strip clubs, the press box at GA Tech Stadium on game days, and certain areas of Midtown), who do you think the managers will give those orders to if there are several drivers waiting to make a delivery?

2. Talk to your car insurance agent, be very open and honest about what you are doing. Also your employer. Make darn sure one or the other is covering you while you ae delivering...both for your own sake, and that of anyone you might get into a wreck with (I was hit by a kid working for a Mom-and-Pop pizza place, totaled my car, took over 2 years to get everything straightened out because no one's insurance would accept responsibility...not to mention 35% percent of the action went to my azttorney because I needed one due to the mess).

3. Give long and careful consideration to arming yourself, and when you are driving around at night and a little voice in your head tells you something isn't right, listen to it. On the first matter, if you choose to carry a gun, please do so legally (permits are only $10 for pete's sake) and please make sure you get some level of training or practice in safe handling of your gun and relatively accomplished shooting ability). On the second matter...if you are sent to a delivery at, say (making up addresses now) 304 Governor's Dr, and you notice (a) there is a 300 and a 308, but no 304, and (b) gee, it sure is dark and deserted on this section of the road...leave. You are being set up for a robbery. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. In my time most of us never saw a problem, but it happened enough that most of us were armed in some manner or another.

ETA: and kudos for trying to get out of debt! making steps in that direction myself; it has been difficult and expensive, but I am almost there. It makes a world of difference.

Thank you so much for the advice! You're right, when I am at work, away from my family I don't really want to play around. I would rather stay busy and make money so my time there will be shorter. This isn't meant to be a long term solution.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:02 AM

152 posts, read 498,139 times
My kid did this last summer and made in the 9 - 11 an hour wage.

I would say your best option is to do your proffesion at night. It likely pays more. Take me, for example, I am here in Afghanistan picking up a few extra dollars. Extreme, yes, but the compensation (and hardship) is higher.

Last edited by Traeger; 03-10-2012 at 05:17 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 07:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I have been following Dave Ramsey, and I really want to start to stockpile some money and get my bills paid off.

I work during the week daytime hours. I have been thinking of getting a part time job a few days a week in the evening. The plan is to use all of the extra money to get car paid off, credit card paid off, then build up savings account.

Does anyone know how much a Papa Johns driver can make on a typical night? The problem with that is putting miles on my car.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Congratulations on following Dave Ramsey (I'm there myself) and I wish you much success and many blessings. The pizza delivery wages can vary depending on how you handle the job really. If you go and deliver then return to the store to be available for the next delivery I would guess that you would average more per hour than someone who does a delivery then dinks around for a bit for personal stuff before returning.

Be extremely careful while you are out there and always be aware of what is going on around you.

Again, good luck, stay safe and many blessings.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 PM

483 posts, read 630,874 times
What about being a newspaper carrier for the Times? Yes it's a early hours but no risk of crime. Just an idea...

Old 03-10-2012, 05:46 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times
I used to work part time for Books-A-Million. The stay open until eleven pm, so you can get evening shifts. They pay decent and you wouldn't be putting those miles on your car. I really liked this because I got to meet a really diverse population of people and I love books and reading.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I used to work part time for Books-A-Million. The stay open until eleven pm, so you can get evening shifts. They pay decent and you wouldn't be putting those miles on your car. I really liked this because I got to meet a really diverse population of people and I love books and reading.
Thanks for the tip. I appreciate the advice.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:34 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times
I saw a sign today that Murphy Oil in front of Wal-Mart on Sparkman is looking for part time people. Might be an option.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 AM

73 posts, read 175,793 times
For pizza delivery it's location, location, location.

You don't want near UAH or A&M since no one will tip worth crap. Heck, most people will "George Washington" you, even though you spend more time on that person's food than a waiter in a sit down restaurant.

I don't know about 2nd shift, but daytime downtown might have some good, big orders. Mostly you'd be delivering to families, and the tipping would be really variable. Worse for apartment dwellers.

And stereotyping here, maybe north Madison (city) would be best. I'm not sure how busy Hampton Cove would be.

Shooting for 2nd shift...I'd think janitorial. I know there is a job opening right now for the juvenile detention home, but I wouldn't take that for double what they're paying. Maybe quadruple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area