Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,280,464 times

Advertisements

Same here, no ulterior motive either.

I would not want to be his neighbor either. I have good friends who live down the street from me and the city came and trimmed some of her trees, she was mortified! Now granted she had no prior warning from the HOA or city, I had mentioned something to her about it, but I didn't call the city on her. She accused me of it though.

I see both sides, but as much as I LOVE 5pts, I have to side with Hessler. He was living there doing his thing before it became historic, but yes well after municipal ordinances were in place.

You always read some story about how a town in some state is fining some single mom because she has a garden in her front yard.

Just like Rat Snake said earlier, perhaps a compromise, perhaps even HGTV could get involved.

Trim it up a little, but retain his "natural" feel, without it being so much of a nuisance to his neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,868,107 times
Wow. That pic makes the house look abandoned lol.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
I'm no hippie and my lawn and landscaping is neat and tidy but I'm dismayed at the eagerness of others to regulate their neighbors. There was a time when houses weren't well, "houses". They were homes not just an investment. Since city data is crawling with real estate agents I know that will make some gasp with disgust.

The current theme running here
"It damages the property values of neighbors"

"no telling what damage is being done to the structure. In any case the neighbors really are having to put up with an eyesore."

Oh my God, my eyes, my eyes! His property offends my eyes! Gasp, there might be snakes in them there bushes. What a bunch of whiny control freaks.

Look, your eyes are offended by someone else property, So sorry. What nuisance is he committing other than some "feeling" that someones "investment" they made may not be worth as much? That's a dangerous road because almost everything offends someone. I know it is hard for some of you to wrap your head around the concept of ownership of property, particularly you HOA babies that believes somehow everyone is governed by one and know nothing else. You like being told what to do. That's fine, live in your little bubble of regulations.

The truth is, the property is hurting no one. What if any structural damage isn't your concern. It's none of your business. Don't like it. Don't look or make in offer on the place. Can't stomach it, you move! Who the heck do you people think you are?

Nobody here is hurting anybody else. He isn't polluting the water, stealing from you or directly harming you in any way. To put forth the point the value of someone else's property makes your property less valuable so you have to control and fringe on the properties owners right is common place now I know.
Doesn't make it right.

Oh my God! My eyes, My eyes can't take it.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Oh yeah, to answer the question in the first post.

Overgrown or Owner's Right?

Owner's right would be my opinion if you couldn't tell.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I don't have a dog in this fight but I agree with Reactionary. As long as the fire hydrants are clear and drivers needing to make a safe turn can see clearly I have no problem with it.

The part of the story that stood out to me was that people had to duck to get in the front door. Just for the homeowners own safety I'd like to see a clear path to the doors.

I hope he did his homework on the damage plants covering his house can do but that's his business.
And if I were his neighbor, I wouldn't appreciate having to defend my yard from his wandering "wilderness".

Other than that...leave him be.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
...particularly you HOA babies that believes somehow everyone is governed by one and know nothing else. You like being told what to do. That's fine, live in your little bubble of regulations...
You're painting a wide stroke with your mindless rant. Tone-down the name-calling if you wish to be taken seriously.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 AM

889 posts, read 2,399,217 times
I am certain Dhult would not buy the house next to this place. If I'm the Hessler's neighbor and want to move as Dhult suggests, I would have a hard time selling and therefore, stuck. And yep, in 2012 property values are very important. We're human beings and whether Dhult believes it or not, we're not colonies of ants who can simply move the nest when the water gets high either. You move into a community which has local ordinances and you follow them, or you don't move into that community (no HOA in 5 Points). City residential landscape ordinances existed well before 1999. Don't like this perceived nanny state of the City of Huntsville? Then YOU move and go homestead in the wilds of Alaska, Grizzly Adams and be as slovenly as you please. Be sure to avert your eyes to my freshly mowed yard as you trek through NW Madison County (where I live free of city ordinances by the way) on your way to the moon or wherever.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I am certain Dhult would not buy the house next to this place.

Maybe not but one thing is for sure. I wouldn't move next to him then demand he alter his property to suit my needs. In reality, value and beauty are in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure there are many people that wouldn't mind living next to such a place. It's all very subjective. I have some neighbors that want more of a natural landscape with native wildflowers and such. Such a yard may look very unkempt for those not knowing what they are looking at or those that don't appreciate such a look. Heck, my surrounding community actually encourages it. I really don't appreciate it myself but it isn't my business. I have my own yard and priorities to be bothered with other peoples tastes.

My property is neat and tidy by my interpretation but I have also experienced some city code enforcement scrutiny that I had to fight. The town grew up around my property then exploded into a city with historical points as well. That didn't change my property rights. Like I stated my property is neat and trimmed but I also have chickens, animals and orchards within city limits. At one time many years ago the city was going in a different direction and wanted to outlaw and restrict many of the aspects on my property. They felt it was detrimental to property values as well. It has actually enhanced the value of my land by many fold. Fast forward another twenty years and the "city" now values what I have. I still have occasional problems or dealings with the city. The property that was purchased in the early 70s for 15K is now worth millions. The point is, you have a right to use your property as you see fit as long as you aren't hurting anyone else. And NO, some subjective view about property values of others doesn't count.

You don't have to move out into the wilderness to claim your rights as a property owner. As far as the landscaping within the city, I think it was already addressed by someone in this thread about what the ordinance actually covered. Today if or when I ever decide to move permanently, I wouldn't place myself in a area that has such restrictive ordinances. Even though I think it is wrong for such regulations to begin with. I think like minded people should buy in areas that cater to their needs but the free market should regulate it. Not a government or even a local government should deny someone their rights or natural privileges to do with their property what they will.

That's just my opinion.

Last edited by Dhult; 08-21-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
...I still have occasional problems or dealings with the city. The property that was purchased in the early 70s for 15K is now worth millions...
Hmmm... sounds like a case for Eminent Domain .

Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
I have driven down Pratt countless times and somehow had never noticed this property. So I rode my bike by it the other day. The lot is just flat out overgrown. I am completely anti HOA type mentality and would never live in one of those neighborhoods. I don't get worked up over someone letting their yard go a little, someone painting their house a funky color...but this is just out of control. I don't blame the neighbors at all. Living next to that is probably a 20% hit in property value. A landscape design and a lot of work can probably salvage his privacy and his birds while not being an out of control mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area