Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 PM

815 posts, read 981,748 times

Advertisements

I've done my research and compared all the weather charts.
I know it can be pretty cold, and there is some snow and ice.
Here is my question, as odd as it may seem
Do you have to drain and store your garden hoses during the winter?
When we lived in North FL it would sometimes get down in the mid teens for a few days in a row, but we never had any problem with our outside hoses bursting or anything like that.
Now that we live in central IL we have to be very careful to drain our hoses before winter because it is so cold for so long.
Just wondering what the situation was like down there.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,218,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I've done my research and compared all the weather charts.
I know it can be pretty cold, and there is some snow and ice.
Here is my question, as odd as it may seem
Do you have to drain and store your garden hoses during the winter?
When we lived in North FL it would sometimes get down in the mid teens for a few days in a row, but we never had any problem with our outside hoses bursting or anything like that.
Now that we live in central IL we have to be very careful to drain our hoses before winter because it is so cold for so long.
Just wondering what the situation was like down there.
Thanks!
I usually make sure to disconnect them, but that's about it.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:59 PM

396 posts, read 665,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
I usually make sure to disconnect them, but that's about it.
Me too. No problems yet.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,281,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
Me too. No problems yet.
Me 3.

I actually use my hose IN winter all the time. So I keep it nearby, I just use the Foam covers for the faucet.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
Just disconnect them but if you try to bend them when it is extremely cold and frozen water is inside them, you may break the hose. I just leave them alone when its cold....if it is cold enough for there to be ice inside the hose, I have no reason to be using a water hose.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Down here they're called "hose-pipes" by many of the true locals - in case you want to fit-in. I usually just leave the things outside all year. I have noticed they can get some strange deformities in them from constant exposure to the elements (ballooning and collapsing). Also, if you leave the hose out all year without something covering both ends you'll occasionally get slugs oozing into the hose - a bad thing for those of us who still drink from the hose in the summer (errrp).

Old 09-24-2012, 10:38 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,218,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Also, if you leave the hose out all year without something covering both ends you'll occasionally get slugs oozing into the hose - a bad thing for those of us who still drink from the hose in the summer (errrp).
Slugs are the least of my concerns. Not many hoses you can drink out of anymore. Chinese plastics sitting in the hot sun, anyone?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
The problem is not freezing, but mice, armadillos, possums, deer, and so on nipping at them. Same thing with extension cords.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,533 times
The easiest faucet open a little, so that the water pipes of the water has been flowing not frozen.Retrofitting the warmth sets, so it will not freeze exposed water pipes.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
After living in FL for 30 years, I didn't know to disconnect the hose from the faucet my first winter here. Next spring when I turned on the outside faucet I had a broken pipe. Next year.. disconnected and no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area