Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,219 times

Advertisements

I have an adult son with Asperger's age 20, he is high functioning but very much in need of help finding work and social interaction with other young people.

Does the Huntsville/Madison/Decatur area have any programs that could help in this area?

Thanks for any input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
You might begin by contacting the local school systems. They possible could send you in the right direction. I would also check with some of the larger churches, who might have social groups or support groups. I think at one time, Monte Sano Baptist had a group for young people with different life challenges.

Hope you can find what you are looking for soon.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 PM

21 posts, read 31,525 times
East Limestone has a support group for parents of ASD children called Fitting the Pieces. It is headed up by Todd Tomerlin. Huntsville has a support group that is similar but much larger called Making Connections. It is headed by Debbie Bumbicka. Making Connections is a parent-led support network for families in Huntsville, Alabama and the surrounding region. The group strives to improve the lives of individuals affected by Autism Spectrum Disorders. Meetings are free and open to the public.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
I don't know too much about it but I do know that there is a program in Huntsville somewhere for just such as you're seeking and unfortunately I have no information for you on it other than a company called Phoenix industries for employment for varying types of handicapped, challenged or other young people that had difficulty fitting into just any employment. You might look up phoenix industries and see if they could give you more info on that.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Give a call to the Mental Health Association. I know the one in Decatur (it's actually the Morgan County MHA) sponsors groups for people with many different mental challenges.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 AM

12 posts, read 25,161 times
Hi! I am a teacher at the Riley Center which is a school for children on the spectrum. While your son is obviously not school age we do have services for adults that include just what you are looking for in terms of socialization and work skills. Feel free to contact us for more info (256) 882-2457. Hope this helps!!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,681 times
ClintsMom:

Hello. There is a social group for young adults with AS/HFA here n North Alabama/Southern Tennessee called AYANA (Asperger Young Adults of North Alabama) that offers social opportunities in a safe and nurturing environment. It is multi-layered in that the parents of the YA's (young adults) have the opportunity to get to know other parents of the other YA's and share experiences and gain valuable information, while the YA's have the opportunity to form friendships and be with a group of their peers who share some of their same interests and skills. The group is for those who are beyond high school. There are some who have jobs, some who do not have jobs, some who are in college and some who are trying to figure out what they want to do with their lives.

Jean and I are the co-sponsors of this group and we meet at various places around the area and plan different
activities that we think the YA's would be interested in. There is no fee or nothing to join. If we go on an outing to some
place where a fee has to be paid for admission, then of course, the YA and/or their family are responsible for that fee.
When we go out to a restaurant to eat, everyone is expected to pay for their own meal. When we get together for pot luck, every family brings items to share with the rest of the group.

You may contact either Jean (mjgame@yahoo.com) or myself (lindatabr@gmail.com) for more information. Best of luck to you and your son.

Linda

Old 07-16-2021, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,251 times
It is 2021 but if you are still around please call me 256-583-5978. I have a 23 year old nephew with Asperger's and I really need some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area