Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 PM

23 posts, read 27,282 times

Advertisements

What??? You've never heard of it?? Me neither, until I got on a kick of looking at shopping centers for lease/sale. It is the strip mall off of 72 behind Zaxby's, Panda Express, and Cheddar's. It was built in the nineties but has lost all hope in conjunction with MSM, especially after Winn-Dixie and Home Depot left. It now has Phil Sandoval's, Nothing But Noodles, Subway, ARMY recruitment center, 88 Buffet, Red Wing Shoes, Burlington, and some other small stores. I am trying to find out what stores were there out of curiosity, and why it is struggling. Any info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:08 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
The big empty store was originally a grocery store, then it was a decor place, like Trees N Trends. A laser tag place was in the corner. Other stores housed various things - an alterations place......it never was full at any point.

At least the restaurants there are going great guns.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,326 times
We discussed this in another thread some time ago.

At that time there seemed to be a consensus that the place is so dangerous to enter and exit that potential customers were dissuaded.
The worst being the entrance behind the building containing Phil's. It is wild and when turning in it is not aligned and immediately narrows.
Of course the parking lot is not in such good shape either now that there is little or no maintenance.

I go there for Phil's but I am very careful, and that goes for while still in the parking lot.

There is EVERYTHING WRONG WITH ACCESSIBLILITY in that center.

raj

Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 PM

295 posts, read 442,611 times
At one time it included a Winn-Dixie, Gateway Computers, Home Depot, an indoor playground, and a few other businesses. As Raj mentioned, the layout of the parking lot and entrances/exits has always made for an exciting visit. We go there once in a while but I still hold my breath and drive very defensively. When that shopping center was built, it was way out on the edge of town and I don't think the developers put much thought into how traffic would build up there.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,326 times
While discussing that plaza, may I ask if anyone can give me an opinion on the German restaurant next to Phil Sandoval's?

I would like to try it because I always enjoy the German places south of Austin when I am in Texas. But, I love Phil's so much that I just never do it. If it turned out to be disappointing I would beat myself up pretty bad and might even end up needing bail.

raj

Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 AM

339 posts, read 629,117 times
You will never be disappointed at Ol Heidelberg. My wife and I used to go there just for the desserts before we had kids. I'm thinking I may have to stop by there one night and get some to go...

They should close up the Enterprise entrance (make it right turn in/right turn out only like McDonald's on Wall Triana in Madison) to restrict traffic flow and make that area safer. There's a light at University, they should funnel traffic through that instead. I don't care where I'm coming from or going after, I never use the Enterprise entrance because it's so messy.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM

111 posts, read 224,818 times
The play place was Discovery Zone a long time ago I love Ol' Heidelberg as well. They have some yummy Germany cuisine.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
While discussing that plaza, may I ask if anyone can give me an opinion on the German restaurant next to Phil Sandoval's?

I would like to try it because I always enjoy the German places south of Austin when I am in Texas. But, I love Phil's so much that I just never do it. If it turned out to be disappointing I would beat myself up pretty bad and might even end up needing bail.

raj
Old Heidelburg is our favorite German restaurant.....VERY authentic. We lived in Germany for 4 years and they are by far the best we have had since we lived there. Pricey, but excellent. I could drink their herb dressing by the gallon, its just like what we used to have in our favorite steak house in Augsburg.

We also like Schnitzel Ranch. The owner is German and she's so nice. Food is very good as well....atmosphere not as great as Old Heidelburg. Their kroketten are awesome, and Old Heidelburg doesn't have them

Old 01-13-2014, 11:58 AM

211 posts, read 340,880 times
Mango's Caribbean Restaurant next to Phil Sandoval's and Shooter's is awesome! Both times I was in there they had live music playing just the right kind of music at just the right volume to allow for conversation at my table.

Pretty much everything along University has had problems ever since I have been here. My assumption has always been that the lease prices are too high, but that is just a guess. I wouldn't have thought that traffic or accessibility is a problem, though I have occasionally overshot the drive for Sandoval's/Mango's and just parked on the side at Five Guys.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
I've never had a problem getting in and out of the shopping center, and I've never felt unsafe there. The empty stores were a concern, but there's so much traffic now with all the restaurants that there are people there constantly. Parking lot is well maintained now.
Now, I ONLY use the entrance with the traffic light.

I highly recommend Ol' Heidelberg. Of course, you'll find plenty of people on this board who don't like it. But most of us do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area